Weekend fishing

I'll be down there at Encanto on June. Saw a guy with a little pontoon boat who was fishing for grouper on the reefs.
Might have to take the 'yak out and try to find them. What's that, some kind of crankbait?

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
Yes, that is definitely not a Totoaba.

But- that fish also isn't 37 pounds; unless the guy holding it is 7.5 feet tall and weighing 380 pounds himself.

That fish is probably 28 inches, and weighing 18-20 pounds. I caught a legitimate 35 pound White Seabass on Tuesday the 13th- weighed on a very accurate scale. I'll post a pic of that fish tomorrow. It was over 40 inches long.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
..........................................look at the tail of that fish compared to a tortuava (below) Joe..Totoaba, Totoaba macdonaldi: The Totoaba has an overall dusky silver appearance, and is characterized by its elongated body, sharp snout with large oblique mouth, and a projecting lower jaw, and especially its slightly convex tail. The Totoaba's gill covers have smooth edges and it has no barbells on its chin. The fins are darker than the body, and its dorsal fin is deeply notched.

Thank you.

Kenny

Yes, that is definitely not a Totoaba.

But- that fish also isn't 37 pounds; unless the guy holding it is 7.5 feet tall and weighing 380 pounds himself.

That fish is probably 28 inches, and weighing 18-20 pounds. I caught a legitimate 35 pound White Seabass on Tuesday the 13th- weighed on a very accurate scale. I'll post a pic of that fish tomorrow. It was over 40 inches long.
28 inches, no way!! The tail is touching the ground, and if you put a imaginary belt on him, it's above his waist. He's have to be a "little" person for that fish to be only 28"" long. I'm 5' 9'', and from the ground to my bellybutton it's about 40".

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
Yeah, that's cool... Whatever- 37 pounds and 40 inches it is. Arguing over fish is not my thing.

It is definitely a very, very nice fish. Perhaps that's all I should have said.

It's a very very nice fish!

mondone

Whitecaps
Two incredible catches, Both need to be celebrated~~~!!! Catching 40"plus WSB off the shore or caught in deep waters; is what makes Rocky Point the premier local for Pisces in my book....

You are right Kenny, both are easy over 40 inches, by looks Moore_Rb has the edge. By sheer simplicity of the catch, (No Gasoline) Mondone needs to be praised. WOW. Wow !!!

Forget Marlin, a WSB is where its at. You can enjoy the fruit of the catch, while with a bill or "toads" fish, all you have is sorrow of a Kill.

Congrats to both Moore and Mondone the M&M's of RP.
My neighbor brought this one in. Don't give me any credits for the catch, just the photos and the measurement. Yes, rb, we used a good accurate fish scale and a real Stanley tape measure graduated in inches! :rofl::rofl:

My neighbor brought this one in. Don't give me any credits for the catch, just the photos and the measurement. Yes, rb, we used a good accurate fish scale and a real Stanley tape measure graduated in inches! :rofl::rofl:
You've got to rotate that tape measure to the inch side, not the centimeter.... :rofl:

I agree with someone else's post (Kenny??)....I'm a short person, and it's over 36 INCHES from the ground up to my waist....

Kenny

Mexico Joe, you fish from a Kayak, and I've fished plenty from small inflatables; can you imagine what it must have been like to have hooked up with a fish like that in a little Zodiac? I'll bet a thousand things ran through his head as it was towing him around, including Shark. To me, that's one of the most impressive catches have seen in a long time.
Now I've sent this thread to Don, so don't be surprised to see him out there on a great WSB hunt in one of his two inflatables.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Mexico Joe, you fish from a Kayak, and I've fished plenty from small inflatables; can you imagine what it must have been like to have hooked up with a fish like that in a little Zodiac? I'll bet a thousand things ran through his head as it was towing him around, including Shark. To me, that's one of the most impressive catches have seen in a long time.
Now I've sent this thread to Don, so don't be surprised to see him out there on a great WSB hunt in one of his two inflatables.
If I knew and trusted someone out that way to help me "load up" I'd be out there this weekend!!!! Problem is, never been out there, have no idea where to go to unload the yak and then there is always the problem of loading up. DARN IT!!! GREAT CATCH EXTREMELY JEALOUS.

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac
If I knew and trusted someone out that way to help me "load up" I'd be out there this weekend!!!! Problem is, never been out there, have no idea where to go to unload the yak and then there is always the problem of loading up. DARN IT!!! GREAT CATCH EXTREMELY JEALOUS.
If you can wait for a couple of weeks, I will take you out or have someone I know take you, to load and unload, if its where we fish it would be at the mouth of Estero Morua in the rocks. My friend Rudy Guzman caught a 35 pounder casting from shore here. You could also launch at one of the oyster farms and find some help there, and paddle out to the rocks.

mermaid

The picture of Ric's WAB was obviously taken while sitting in Cholla Bay waiting to be put back on his trailer. That is Black mountain in the background. I really doubt that fish was caught anywhere near shore. If you look at the swim bladder in it's throat it is clear that it was taken from deep water.

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
The picture of Ric's WAB was obviously taken while sitting in Cholla Bay waiting to be put back on his trailer. That is Black mountain in the background. I really doubt that fish was caught anywhere near shore. If you look at the swim bladder in it's throat it is clear that it was taken from deep water.
yup.

However, The point that White Seabass can be taken near shore in the spring is still valid.

mermaid

I agree, I'm just saying that picture is a fish from deep water. I myself have taken quite a few from the shore over the years that have pushed the scale towards 20lbs. I actually find the fall a better time to take the big ones.

Kenny

The picture of me holding the White was out on the 51 on Ric's boat, the end of the line. I believe it was taken on one of the day after Thanksgiving trips we made, and man, we had some good one's.

I Have caught them in lobos off of bird sh!! t and they were 50 #'s plus . I'm going to find the pic just to show. That was back in 1986 or 1987. Unbelievable. Leigh

Also it was on a garcia 4500 flippin reel with no drag. The guy in the car topper was rowing so fast after we snapped the first one. The sea of cortez never stops amazing me. You really do never know what you will catch. Leigh

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
If you can wait for a couple of weeks, I will take you out or have someone I know take you, to load and unload, if its where we fish it would be at the mouth of Estero Morua in the rocks. My friend Rudy Guzman caught a 35 pounder casting from shore here. You could also launch at one of the oyster farms and find some help there, and paddle out to the rocks.

Ive never thought about doing that, good idea. What dates are you looking at?

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac
Ive never thought about doing that, good idea. What dates are you looking at?
Anytime is fine. I put my house in Maricopa for sale, at the same time I put my Rocky Point house for sale and planned to stay in the house that didn't sell, Rocky Point lost the contest, so I'm full time in Penasco after this week. Plus we can go hang out with the Water Boy aka H2joe, I convinced him to buy my water truck and go into the water business a couple years ago, in Playa Encanto.