Weekend Yak Report March 30- April 1

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Weather was pretty good Friday and Saturday, launched out of Cholla Bay and fished the pelican point area. The Mackerel were running bait out past the point a ways and got into some good light tackle action. Had a few bottom hits, something big that slammed my bottom setup while it was in the rod holder, grabbed the rod but the fish had already rocked up. Apparently that's why you dont keep the rod in the rod holder when it's down on the bottom. Caught a little CAR Pinto which was cool. Few BUTS were caught just west of JJ's from the beach by someone in my party during the day on Saturday. All in all, no keepers but it was a good weekend for weather and fishing in beautiful RP. As always #chollabay4life

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
Glad to hear you let that little Pinto swim away... give him 3 more years and he'll be one of the ones rocking up your bottom rig... :)

I am jonesin to get down there one more time before it gets really steamy - maybe week after next.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
how did the new yak workout for you?

It worked really really well!! I just installed a 24" dry hatch in the bow of the boat. It opens up the hull of the boat for dry storage which is critical so you dont lose anything in the event of a capsize. Ive purchased just about everything for the live bait tank, just need to put everything together. 5 gallon bait tank with a 360gph bilge pump running off of a 6v gel cell battery. Wanted to have the fish finder mounted and ready for the next trip but it doesnt appear Im going to have it installed in time.

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
I notice you don't have hydraulic steering... what's up with that?

It must be boring not having any steering cylinders to rebuild... :geek:

Kenny

Joe, I'm looking forward to the post of you being towed around by that BIGFISH that will come your way.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Joe, I'm looking forward to the post of you being towed around by that BIGFISH that will come your way.

Send me good vibes Kenny, its going down this weekend!! Doesnt need to be huge just something respectable. Ill let you know how things turned out.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
On a side note, now I actually have to make bait. We'll see how that goes... any suggestions from the RP Pros? Sabiki?

Kenny

Send me good vibes Kenny, its going down this weekend!! Doesnt need to be huge just something respectable. Ill let you know how things turned out.
Patience and perseverance, and positive vibes will do it, and visualize Joe, visualize.

Sabiki's are great, but you might want to shorten it up some because you're sitting down.

kanvery

So being a newbie, what kind of live bait is best? When I get down there I'll have about 100 sabikis and just planned on throwing whatever I caught on a bigger hook and sending him to the depths.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
So being a newbie, what kind of live bait is best? When I get down there I'll have about 100 sabikis and just planned on throwing whatever I caught on a bigger hook and sending him to the depths.
Best live bait, greenback macks.