Whales, Dolphins, and Jellyfish

mis2810

Went out on the EcoFun boat this afternoon. Saw 3 whales and lots of dolphins, and one lone sea lion. TONS of those big brown jellyfish. Are those jellyfish normal for this time of year?

MIRAMAR

We saw the whales too! Jellyfish this time of year are really unusual-never seen them in the past 20 years this time of year.

mis2810

Weird, very weird things happening this year. First, we had the major pelican invasions, then the sardines beaching themselves down by the marina and dying, then the dead squid on the west end of Sandy Beach, and now the big, brown jellyfish?

Something is just not right - or different?

Kenny

The sardines were dumped by large ships in the area, Pelicans love sardines, They're here (sardines) and they bring all kinds of fish. http://www.numerounoonline.com/main/editorial/editorial-investigar-muerte-de-sardinas-luego-denunciar#.UwIeQvldVx0.
The article said they arrived dead tossed by the waves, but these fish are clearly alive..http://www.rockypointtalk.com/threads/sardine-beaching-phenomenon.8817/
I think we're looking at two separate incidents but it reads as one.

Last edited:
We were probably about 6 miles put. I don't know. I will post pics later. We would get close it would go under so we couldn't see it. Had a dark grey triangular Dorsel fin, you know it didn't curve back, it pointed straight up.

Roberto

Went out on the EcoFun boat this afternoon. Saw 3 whales and lots of dolphins, and one lone sea lion. TONS of those big brown jellyfish. Are those jellyfish normal for this time of year?
What did that trip cost on the Eco Fun?

I am curious about the cost as well, Thx.

Last time I took my jet ski into the harbor (2006), there were hundreds of small 12-15" long sharks looking for scraps of food.
20+ years ago I saw a 13ft Thresher shark pulled to shore after it got caught in Cholla bay after the water became to shallow
to get back out to deeper water.

I'm thinking hammerhead but I'm pretty sure it was shark. The swimming pattern fit. I will post a video and pic later on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mis2810

Tomorrow @ 2- cost 25 bucks- more on weekends, Bring your own wine and pasta Roberto, act normal!
$25.00 includes beer, margaritas, and mixed drinks. It was a goid trip, but I liked the one with Oscar better. This was more like the Fiesta Cruiser was, but whale and dolphin watching.

Kenny

It is weird that close in!
What's unusual or weird is that it hasn't been killed yet. There are more than a few of us who still remember Sharks being a real pain in the a## and right offshore too. I also remember Turtles, Manta Ray's, and Giant Conches right off Pinto and Pelican point.
A little Story.. One of the "wild boy's" from Sandy Beach (actually young men who worked for Hugh's Aircraft with my dad) brought us a giant Conch he had gotten free diving off the point and we removed the snail by hanging it from it's foot. The weight of the shell finally win's out and the animal slowly unwinds out of the shell looking like a curly mess of God only knows what. Well one of the guy's Shorty, was sleeping, or should I say was passed out in our hammock and the powers that be thought it would be a swell idea to hang this mess over his head while I lite a firecracker under the hammock. I never knew a man could make a sound like that :eek: or that Shorty could move so fast; but not quite as fast as me.:cool:

Last edited:

gup

$25.00 includes beer, margaritas, and mixed drinks. It was a goid trip, but I liked the one with Oscar better. This was more like the Fiesta Cruiser was, but whale and dolphin watching.
Is Oscar the catamaran boat with whale watching trips? Would like to take that trip, info.?