What a difference

GV Jack

Snorin God
Just got back from a quick weekend and man was the humidity in full bloom.

Had an interesting divergence of exchange rates at some of my favorite eateries.

Max's= 12.85

Capone's= 15.00 posted

Mare Blu= 16.00

If it weren't for the Bloody Marys and Mexican Scrambles I wouldn't do Max's again.
I definitely will not use greenbacks there. I guess it was so early I didn't compute.

Anyway, this is what I observed. That and the old port was teaming with people at 11:30 Saturday morning.

If you paid in Pesos Max's would be a great deal.
15 is the new 12 and Mar Blu doesn't seem to be doing anyone any favors lol.
I always try to get Pesos. At worst you pay full at 16 and at best you are saving $0.18+ per dollar.
Good to know. I still have never been to Max's.
Ty for the heads-up.

Just look at it this way.......

The lower they charge you in pesos exchange and is under current exchange rate,
Your getting a deal.

So at Max's at 12.85 and give them U.S. Bills, your getting a deal!

So it was stated at Mar Blu, they do 16.0 exchange, so you are paying more in
U.S. Currency.

Thank You Max, or John!

GV Jack

Snorin God
Okay, you need to understand you're dealing with and old math flunker here, but only three times in Geometry.

My bill at Mare Blu was 768 Pesos. At 16.00 it was $48.00 US. At Max'x the same bill at 12.85 would be $59.76 US.

What am I missing here? By the way, I always pay in Pesos except at Max's. Where possible, I put it on my Capital One
card because there's no transaction fee and they always give a top rate of exchange.

playaperro

El Pirata
Try buying a beer at places where the exchange rate is 10 to one, they only charge you in dollars, same as Max only dollars.

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac
Try buying a beer at places where the exchange rate is 10 to one, they only charge you in dollars, same as Max only dollars.
Just look at it this way.......

The lower they charge you in pesos exchange and is under current exchange rate,
Your getting a deal.

So at Max's at 12.85 and give them U.S. Bills, your getting a deal!

So it was stated at Mar Blu, they do 16.0 exchange, so you are paying more in
U.S. Currency.

Thank You Max, or John!
If they are pricing in pesos at 12.85 and you are paying in dollars, that's not good, if they do it backasswords, like at the Satisfied Frog, a couple months ago then, they are taking a beating... We orderd 2 chickens, 4 ice teas and dont remember what else, their prices were in dollars... so when the bill came it was $45.00 dllrs, their sign said 12 to 1, we had sold dollars for 15 that day...so here is the math.. 45.00X12 their exchange =540.00 pesos / 15 = $36.00 dllrs....it only works if they price in pesos and the exchange is 12...for them to make money on the exchange...Playaperro it sounds like you have been to Chabela's it has always been 10...The same family owns la casa de cambio, around the corner, take em in at 10 and send em out the window around the corner at 16..

Last edited:
I always ask how many peso's to the dollar.
In a restaurant if it's quoted in both dollars or pesos I do the math by taking the peso quote and dividing it by the dollar amount,
if my phone calculator shows the peso rate isn't close to the going bank rate, out come my pesos.
Example-
If you spend $100 a day the difference in 12.85 vs 16.39 (todays rate) is either you're spending $121 or $100 for the same items.
If I stay for 7-10 days, I know which I would prefer.

Rule of thumb, for using $$ or pesos during my Mexico stay,
Gas/Propane stations -Pesos
American bars - dollars (many quote a high peso/rate so I never pay in pesos)
Super Ley/Santa Fe - dollars (good place to get a decent $ conversion rate for pesos to use later
Restaurant's - Peso's (usually or CC if no fee)
Stores, Tile Expo, Muebules Coloniales, Los Pinos, Ace Hardware, Paint Store - CC if no use fees otherwise pesos.

All as I know, and that's not much...

If the place states US dollars, and you want to pay in Pesos, the lower the rate they give you or quote in pesos, is your deal!

It's from dollars to pesos!

The higher they quote you to actual exchange rate, the more you will pay!

Actually......if we all just hold on!

The world bank will start haveing us use the Amero coins/money!

That way, no exchange rate. Canada, the U.S. and Mexico will have all one money!

It will save me a bunch of time trying to figure this exchange rate out!

AZRob

What I found out from the last time down. I was using my debt card and what ever the real rate is, thats what came off my card. I was going into beer stores and drug stores to buy thinks and 95% of them would not take debt card cash only. They know the banks are giving the right rate and they cant rip you off.

What I found out from the last time down. I was using my debt card and what ever the real rate is, thats what came off my card. I was going into beer stores and drug stores to buy thinks and 95% of them would not take debt card cash only. They know the banks are giving the right rate and they cant rip you off.
So true,
That is the reason why one of my first stops into town is to hit, the ATM at Banorte, that way I will get a better exchange rate than what they are advertising.
I usually get 3000-5000 pesos which will last me 2-3 trips, downside is with the peso sliding in value the peso's I bought in early June at 15.5 are worth 5% less.

When I did a $9k add on to my house a couple of years ago I saved over $1,000 by paying in pesos I bought at more than the prevailing rate in town
by going to the ATM.

Hopefully this doesn't turn into another period like 1989-1993 when the peso went from 200-1 to 3,300-1. (old peso)
Since 1994 when they revalued it to 3.24-1 the peso was worth 31 cents US and now it's closer to 6 cents.
While the US dollar went from $1 in 1994 to .62 today.

dmcauley

Okay, you need to understand you're dealing with and old math flunker here, but only three times in Geometry.

My bill at Mare Blu was 768 Pesos. At 16.00 it was $48.00 US. At Max'x the same bill at 12.85 would be $59.76 US.

What am I missing here? By the way, I always pay in Pesos except at Max's. Where possible, I put it on my Capital One
card because there's no transaction fee and they always give a top rate of exchange.
you are right on