What happens if your car breaks down?

garyd

Does anyone have contact phone numbers for towing,auto repair and etc. if your car breaks down on the road from the border?:-o

dmcauley

There is a patrol truck that is always available to help get you going again. They will stop and help. It is a good idea to make sure your car is properly maintained though as this is a lonely stretch of road!

Cabo

Spanish Mackerrel
Gary,

this is what I have;
(If you purchased Insurance though Rosy, she has given you all her contact info and her office can relay help)

second option:

Road Side Service
Rocky Point Travel Center
24/7 If you have car problems get lost
Run out Of gas contact 866 410-3304 They Can Help.

Emergency Road Side Service & First Aid
Green Angels free service provided by Mexican Ministry of Tourism
Mechanics patrol main highways provide road service and first aid
Toll free number In Mexico only 91-800-903-0092
Will repair your vehicles for minor emergency. You Pay For the parts.
Open hood Of Auto up to signal them!

#066 is the emergency number just like 911 in the USA
The Angels volunteer There time please remember to give them a tip.

Last number to have;

Emergency Air Evacuation AirEvac, Inc. Phone 95-880-321-9522)
Ambulance Transport (Ajo Ambulance, 520-387-5154/520-387-7621)

Hope that helps, one of these should work for you.

C

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
I broke down a month ago and called 066 which is the equivalent to 911 in the states, they answer the phone in Nogales but they will ask you where you are and the km marker is needed and they can dispatch a tow truck from either Sonoyta or Penasco depending where you are. They will also notify the green angels who typically travel up and down the road with regularity looking for broke down motorist and let them know of your whereabouts. Yes they usually have an English speaking person available as well. You can also call the TVA (Tourist and Visitor Assistance) 638-388-8207 office in Penasco and they can help you as well. All of this is predicated on the fact that you have a working cell phone in Mexico.

Terry C

On my cell phone I have the numbers listed as TOW AZ and TOW Mexico

AZ, Kord's Towing, Napa Auto 2050 N. Highway 85 Ajo, Arizona 85321 (520) 387-6962 (520) 387-4869 24 hr

MEXICO, Agua Fria Towing. Owners Dennis and Norma Bleeker live in Puerto Penasco, and provide towing service to Arizona and other southwest locations. They can be reached at 011-52-638-38-35770, 38-35770 (locally) or 520-232-2149. In instances where the individual may have towing service insurance they will work with the company for payment.

You covered all around with Cabo's and Russ's helpfull posts

Last edited:
On my cell phone I have the numbers listed as TOW AZ and TOW Mexico

AZ, Kord's Towing, Napa Auto 2050 N. Highway 85 Ajo, Arizona 85321 (520) 387-6962 (520) 387-4869 24 hr

MEXICO, Agua Fria Towing. Owners Dennis and Norma Bleeker live in Puerto Penasco, and provide towing service to Arizona and other southwest locations. They can be reached at 011-52-638-38-35770, 38-35770 (locally) or 520-232-2149. In instances where the individual may have towing service insurance they will work with the company for payment.

You covered all around with Cabo's and Russ's helpfull posts
Dennis & Norma Bleeker, Agua Grande towing are friends and members of the RP Tourism & Visitor Assistance. They're great and will come out to get you wherever you are. If you don't have their number with you, we can find them for you. Last Spring Break a family had their car catch fire on the highway. Dennis took it all the way to Tucson for them.

InkaRoads

cronopiador
These are some fast dial numbers I found for emergency services in Rocky Point/Mexico:

Fire Department 068
Police Department 060
Federal Electric Co. CFE 071
Angeles Verdes 078
Red Cross 383-2266

Last edited:

mis2810

But do American cell phones work on that road?
It depends on your carrier. July 4th weekend we stopped to help a guy who blew out a tire and my AT&T phone worked when I called the 066 emergency number.

Call your carrier - you may need to add Mexican service to your plan. I think I pay $4.99 per month for it - but it's certainly worth it to me in case anything ever happens.

But do American cell phones work on that road?
You have coverage with AT&T and TMobile (GSM system)...if they are your carrier, you may have to activate international roaming. AT&T has a Mexico roaming package and I believe a special Mexico plan. Some of the people with Verizon have indicated that they also have coverage, but it may be very spotty. A friend was able to get a signal at the Mayan Palace lobby, but not in his room.

I think if you're a regular visitor, especially if you plan on calling within Penasco, you're better off getting a Telcel SIM (GSM). When I got mine, it was approx. $18 for the SIM, and then buy time (AMIGO) in 100 peso increments. I pay 1 peso per minute in Penasco for local calls.

Does anyplace sell disposable cell phones? That might be handy for a trip down. Of course the whole point is to get away from those darn things.

Does anyplace sell disposable cell phones? That might be handy for a trip down. Of course the whole point is to get away from those darn things.
You can pick up one of the cheap gsm prepaid phones from AT&T (or TMobile).....and have it unlocked by one of the shops in town. Most of the non-company places that sell cellphones and service on the various carriers have the software and are willing (for $$) to do so. It was pretty reasonable the last time I checked....somewhere under $30.

I also got the unlock code from AT&T for my old gsm phone when my contract was up. As long as you've been with, they are (or were!!) willing to give you the unlock code and procedure.