What is the name of that historic little inn in Old Port?

gringa

You know the one. The little stone inn, on the left, just before the Malecon.
For the life of me, I can't remember the name of that place so any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Roberto

Yes, La Roca is the oldest hotel in Penasco. It's funky but I used to stay there when I wanted to hang out all day in the Old Port. Inexpensive and the owners are a real nice family. Legend has it that Al Capone stayed ther and there used to be a tunnel to the water to bring the booze in during prohibition. There are some real early photos in that brief history of Penasco published a couple of years ago by one of the Munroes, I seem t recall. Anyone got a copy of that? I bought as many as I could find but gave them all away !

gringa

Yes, La Roca is the oldest hotel in Penasco. It's funky but I used to stay there when I wanted to hang out all day in the Old Port. Inexpensive and the owners are a real nice family. Legend has it that Al Capone stayed ther and there used to be a tunnel to the water to bring the booze in during prohibition. There are some real early photos in that brief history of Penasco published a couple of years ago by one of the Munroes, I seem t recall. Anyone got a copy of that? I bought as many as I could find but gave them all away !
Great info, Roberto, thanks! I think we'll try it one of these days, although it's hard for us to leave PdS, we really do love La Roca's funky vibe! And love to support a locally owned, family business with history!

As for this history, I'd **love** to see a copy of that if anyone has a copy they'd like to share!

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Al Capone built that inn and the tunnel did exist. I was told all these stories in the mid 70's by a man that worked with him there. He was 80 in the mid 70's and I trust him to tell me the truth....It was fascinating......

El Gato

At one point Roberto & Luisa Fleisher managed the hotel - before/while they were building the Villa Granada. Lately have stopped by to show it to some family/friends and the owner was really nice about letting us look around. I think he said the rooms go for about $35 a night, if I remember correctly and I'm not having a senior moment. We enjoyed talking with him about the old days.

From the site: "And, you will be surprised at the low rates of $25, $30 and $35 USD, our free coffee and wireless internet."