What to do besides drink in Rocky Point

jerry

CEDO offers unique opportunities to explore the sea and desert. Join us for a hike in North America’s largest sand sea, a paddle through the channels of Estero Morúa, or an exploration of the diverse underwater world of tidepools. Listed below are the numerous eco-adventures we offer.

Check out our events calendar for dates and times, as well as additional activities. All activities begin and end at CEDO’s field station in Puerto Peñasco, Sonora. Reservations can be made by phone (520-320-5473 in the U.S. or 011-526-38-382-0113, or 0115, in Mexico) or email ( [email protected]), and should be made at least two days prior to the event. Don't forget to bring a hat, water and your adventurous spirit!

CEDO also offers NaturArte community eco-tours, which are also listed below. NaturArte was conceived to promote the sustainable use Sonora's stunning wetlands. With this in mind, we offer a series of small businesses dedicated to eco-tourism throughout the esteros of the Northern Gulf of California. A NaturArte tour incorporates a variety of activities, including history talks, kayaking, estero tours, first-hand experience with local oyster farmers, birdwatching and a local seafood lunch. For more information on our NaturArte community tours click here, read below or visit www.cedonaturarte.org.

Desert Discovery
- Enjoy a tranquil walk through CEDO’s Botanical Gardens and nearby coastal desert. Learn about desert flora, fauna and indigenous uses of plants. Perfect for families.
- Cost: $10; Children Under 5, Free

Destination Dunes
- Take a hiking tour of the spectacular Gran Desierto sea of dunes. Visit North America's only true sand sea to learn about dune geography and the unique adaptations of its inhabitants, as well as the geologic processes involved in the formation of the basin and range geologic province. This 5-hour trip involves 2 hours of walking to and from the dunes. Participants will caravan in their own vehicles.
- Cost: $60; Children Under 12, $40; Lunch Included

Oyster Experience (NaturArte)
- Become an oyster farmer and master chef in a matter of hours, accompanied by members of the Punta Roja cooperative. Learn all about the oyster: from its history and biology, to the cultivation, harvesting and cooking of this succulent shellfish. Open the cultivation boxes and help clean and separate the oysters by size, then as a reward choose those you like the most, and cook them with the help of Doña Antonia and her special recipes. Top it all off with the best drinks and garnishes available.
- Cost: $40; Children Under 12, $30

Estero Excursion
- Experience the beauty of a coastal wetland filled with crabs, oysters, birds and more. Prepare to get your hands and feet dirty. Fun for people of all ages. Approximately 3-4 hours.
- Cost: $20; Children Under 12, $15

Isla San Jorge Sojourn
- Take this boat tour of Isla San Jorge (Bird Island) with CEDO guides. The reefs and waters around San Jorge support a diversity of life. Beautiful birds and California sea lions thrive on the island. Marine invertebrates like sea cucumbers, scallops, mussels, oysters, snails and octopi, as well as a variety of fish live in the waters surrounding San Jorge. This eco-adventure includes an introductory slideshow, and a talk about Gulf island ecology and research CEDO is conducting. Approximately 6-7 hours.
- Cost: $70-100; Lunch Included

Estero Birdwatching Tour (NaturArte)
- Join us on this exploration and observe some of the estuary's many species of resident and migratory birds, such as the American Oystercatcher, Great Blue Heron, Least Tern and many more. The great diversity of brids is one of the defining characteristics of the wetlands of the Northern Gulf of California, and Estero Morúa is no exception. With more than 140 species of birds, this coastal wetland forms part of the migratory corridor of the Pacific. Afterward, visit an oyster cooperative and enjoy a seafood meal in the shade. Approximately 6-7 hours.
- Cost: $40; Children Under 12, $35

Kayak Caper
- Experience the inspiring wildlife and terrain of Estero Morúa at eye level with the animals. Each tour includes expert guides, a local ecology talk, full-day kayak rental, lunch and beverages. Approximately 6 hours.
- Cost: $60; Children Under 12, $40; Lunch Included

Jerry
Some of these things you can do on your own. Just ask around in the RV parks and find someone who has been comming dow for years. Very likley they can guide you or will know someone who can.

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Scared of what? Didn't we just re-establish the fact that we can do everything while drinking? That's a good thing!:wink:

Kenny

hell yes I still do!

I can feel it, this is going to become a party.:razz: and hell yes I still do!

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Kenny, a free pass? Whadaya mean?

Sheryl, I have 2 kitties, a 22 or so year old orange tabby that came to me as a full grown stray in 1989 and a 2 and 1/2 year old tuxedo kitty that I rescued from Rocky Point when I was closing up my trailer in May 2007 to put it into storage after Playa Miramar sold. There was a big thread about it on the other forum that got lost when someone bought it. He was about 5 mos old. He made a beeline across the park and jumped right in my lap, ignoring the other people that were there closing up. Everybody here knows the story, I'll pm it to you in a little while, I'm sure everyone doesn't want to hear it again.

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Hey, I made it under my own power! It was Val's fault, those pink Johnson's are deeelicious!!!!!:D

jerry

Drinking and boating is asking for trouble. My honey and I made the mistake of having the speedboat "capitan" (old old Criss craft) eat lobster and drink with us on a Caye 10 miles from the one we were staying at off Belize in 1987. He got so drunk he forgot to gas up...15 hours latter someone found us.

Mentiras y Traición

Sonoran Goddess
Drinking and Boating

A few years back, Hubby and I stopped at the reservoir after lunch at Hooters and several pitchers cuz the wings were late...rented a jetski...one of the dumbest things we ever did. He lost his eyeglasses, my watch came off and we had to drive home in our wet clothes...sober.