Whats the fastest way to get there from PHX?

tyler

I like pie.
Staff member
I go : PHX -> Maricopa ->Mobile -> Gila Bend -> etc...

I assume that's the fastest route, and not going down to I-8, and bypassing Mobile, eh?

JayT

I'm in East Phoenix and do the Maricopa to Gila Bend route via Maricopa Rd/238 also. It might not save you much time compared to the I10, Buckeye to Gila Bend, but it's much mellower and you don't have all the Mad Max craziness of the I10. My wife calls the 238 "Dead Cow Road" because of all the cow carcasses that used to litter the sides of the road. Also depends on the time of day you travel and what part of town you're in.

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Yea, for you, that's the fastest route. I've only gone that way a few times with my friends from the east side. I don't know if 238 is faster than I-8, tho. We always took the interstate. I'll let the east siders chime in.

JimMcG

I go : PHX -> Maricopa ->Mobile -> Gila Bend -> etc...

I assume that's the fastest route, and not going down to I-8, and bypassing Mobile, eh?
Correct.

I'm in East Phoenix and do the Maricopa to Gila Bend route via Maricopa Rd/238 also. It might not save you much time compared to the I10, Buckeye to Gila Bend, but it's much mellower and you don't have all the Mad Max craziness of the I10. My wife calls the 238 "Dead Cow Road" because of all the cow carcasses that used to litter the sides of the road. Also depends on the time of day you travel and what part of town you're in.
I haven't seen any carcasses in many, many years.

JayT

Tyler - I have to think the 238 route is much faster than heading down to the I8. From Maricopa, you're shaving 31 miles off the trip by taking the 238 to Gila Bend versus heading down to the I8. (I fully understand you have to detour off I10 to get to Maricopa, but that road moves pretty quickly.) I think some maps were showing the 238 as a dirt road or unmaintained which may have kept the traffic down. Not sure. And, Jim - agreed - haven't seen cow carcasses either for a while.

Remember If you go through Ajo NO MORE THAN THE SPEED LIMIT, NOT 1 MILE PER HOUR. DEAD STOP AT ALL STOPS. THE POLICE ATR BAD THERE!

tyler

I like pie.
Staff member
Remember If you go through Ajo NO MORE THAN THE SPEED LIMIT, NOT 1 MILE PER HOUR. DEAD STOP AT ALL STOPS. THE POLICE ATR BAD THERE!
Thanks Bill for the heads up, going down in 2 weeks.. First time in a year!