Where and how to fish from shore?

LyvWyr

Hello,
I have been living in RP for about 3 mos . I would like to do some shore fishing. I don't know where to go or how to fish in the surf. I have only fished in lakes and rivers in the US.
Any locations and tips greatly appreciated.
Thank you

LyvWyr

Thank you,
Should I head to LA choya ? I have also heard I can fish at las conchas? Old Port?
Thanks

LyvWyr

Thank you,
Should I head to LA choya ? I have also heard I can fish at las conchas? Old Port?
Thanks

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Hello,
I have been living in RP for about 3 mos . I would like to do some shore fishing. I don't know where to go or how to fish in the surf. I have only fished in lakes and rivers in the US.
Any locations and tips greatly appreciated.
Thank you
You a bass guy? I think for shore fishing in Rocky Point you want to be near the estuary or near the rocks. There are a few rocky areas near Mirador (Manny's Beach Club) and throughout Cholla Bay. Regardless of where you go you'll want something that you can cast and retrieve. Cast and retrieve. Cast and retrieve. Good. Now do that for the next 4 hours. Hopefully you were a bass guy...

-The Cripple

CheddarBob

Well Known Member
You a bass guy? I think for shore fishing in Rocky Point you want to be near the estuary or near the rocks. There are a few rocky areas near Mirador (Manny's Beach Club) and throughout Cholla Bay. Regardless of where you go you'll want something that you can cast and retrieve. Cast and retrieve. Cast and retrieve. Good. Now do that for the next 4 hours. Hopefully you were a bass guy...

-The Cripple
Personally Joe never met you but seem like a cool guy. As for the name change I think it sucks. Just my opinion.

AZRob

Well Known Member
WOW!

OK, here is my input. Tide didn't come in that deep this time of year.
So, rocks/reef was 1'-3' water above it. I was snagging losing hooks. I put a float on for night fishing with tide going out. I put a cooked shrimp on from diner with a French fry.

I landed a nice size snapper looking fish.

Jungle Jim

Well Known Member
You are so wrong..........

There are always plenty of three hundred pound two legged brown belugas bobbing around in the "surf" at the Mirador beach. They will take a bright, flashy and shiny ten peso coin in a heart beat. Watch out for their teeth as they always go for your throat and leave that nasty lamprey style hicky scar on your neck.

JJ

joester

2 salty dawgs
"About" 200 yards east of the broken concrete boat ramp at Playa de Oro RV park, is an even more broken down nearly gone boat ramp - look for the remains at low tide. Fish that area. There are some rocks, so keep your lures off the bottom, unless using a weedless bait set up. Good luck, Trigger fish make tasty tacos.

Jungle Jim

Well Known Member
Blood sucking beach dwelling crustaceans..........

On a more serious note relating to the beach at Mirador...................

That beach is the most perfect habitat for two little nasties of the shrimp, crab and lobster group of marine crustaceans. These would be the Isopods and Amphipods AKA: Sea Fleas and Sand Fleas. Both are blood suckers and the Sand Flea not only bites but injects a digestive juice into the victims flesh in order to ensure a seeping wound that almost immediately alerts the hundreds of fellow biters and suckers that abound in the wet coarse loose sands at Mirador. If you fish from shore and leave your catch on a stringer in the shallows you will most likely notice dozens or sometimes hundreds of the little 1/4 inch long pill bug looking beggars swarming over and inside your fish even while still alive.

The Sand Flea is an Isopod related to the common Pill Bug and Sow Bug found in gardens in temperate climates. They are quite harmless and actually do little if any damage to garden plants. The Sand Flea is typically a scavenger between the intertidal zone that is the first to claim a fresh washed up waif whether it be a fish, bird, sea turtle or whale. Just flip over any carcass still on wet sand and you will see them, sometimes by the thousands. One of the funniest things to see at Mirador beach is little kids that plop their butts down on the sand in the waves a few inches deep then get up screeching and scratching. The culprit is that little nasty the Sand Flea. They drop off as soon as the kid stands up and they are away from the sand and the parents rarely have a clue as to what the kid was screaming about.

The Sea Flea is an Amphipod that is a free swimming hunter that seeks living animals. They grab prey many thousand times larger than themselves and take a quick bite and blood suck and are gone before you even see them. They are particularly common in the knee deep waters at Mirador especially in late summer when the water temps are in the 90's. They are small, only 1/2 inch or so but still give a painful bite.

Many shore fishermen have seen the larger version of these creatures in the mouths of reef fish especially the Grunts around PP. This nasty is known as the Tongue Eating Louse. It is an Isopod that enters the mouth of the fish through the gills then attaches itself to the back of the tongue where it has a continuous supply of fresh sea water while sucking up an endless meal of delicious fish blood. As the Louse gains size it eventually completely replaces the fishes tongue. Most fish that I have caught with them in the mouth don't seem to be any less healthy than one without it's gross parasite.

JJ

Nicolai

I'm a big fan of fishing around Cholla, the rocks from pelican point to pinto point are my go to spots. Just be careful with the tide! Squid, some swim baits and Kast Masters have been really good for me. Blue and silver does me the best.

surfcaster

Tom the Surfcaster
Dixie jet is the ultimate corvina lure and they are available again. Kastmasters are great, and they cast like a dream, but the best lure for catching corvina has come back from the dead! I kept one for 15 years with no hooks just in case I found someone to clone it. Now a good Samaritan has revived the holy flutter spoon! I have stocked up and highly recommend them. Not quite as long casting as the kastmaster, but it will out fish them anyway. I like the silver, coleslaw and shattered glass colors the best. Last trip in Libertad they really preferred the coleslaw.

GringoZona

Well Known Member
Dixie jet is the ultimate corvina lure and they are available again. Kastmasters are great, and they cast like a dream, but the best lure for catching corvina has come back from the dead! I kept one for 15 years with no hooks just in case I found someone to clone it. Now a good Samaritan has revived the holy flutter spoon! I have stocked up and highly recommend them. Not quite as long casting as the kastmaster, but it will out fish them anyway. I like the silver, coleslaw and shattered glass colors the best. Last trip in Libertad they really preferred the coleslaw.

Wow! These lures were like 1-3$ max when I was fishing with my dad. Thanks for the eye-opener.

Nicolai

Thanks, I just got them in the mail today, they look promising! I'll make sure to post updates during the Derby while using them and everything thing else I got!