Where are the best carnicerias or farmers markets?

badfish

After reading the post about not bringing in food or dirt into Mexico, i was wondering where the locals go for the best veggies and cuts of meat? We usually go to the Super Ley for Tequila or other odd things that we need. I have never bought meat there. I have bought fruit, veggies, and peppers there.

So i am thinking of not bringing our own protein and buying in PP.

What are your favorite Carnicerias and Farmers Markets?

We will be there October 7th-11th and we are looking forward to the Shrimp festival.

dwig222

Do you know your way around Rocky Point? I can't give you the exact directions, but there is a meat market in what I call the "downtown" area that sells the most delicious meat I've ever tasted. There is also a produce store, I think just past the railroad tracks in the area where La Curva is. Someone on here will direct you so make sure this post stays towards the top.

Roberto

Maybe we need a FAQ on this subject. It has all been covered on other posts but:

Every store has a good selection of fresh fruit and veggies:

Santa Fe Market and Bodega across the street both on Benito Juarez on the edge of town coming from Sonoita.
Super Ley and Las Palmas just off Benito Juarez, turn at the light in front of Aka Si. Right hand turn coming into town.
There is a Fruteria on the right hand side of Sinaloa, about 5 blocks off Fremont. Favorite of the locals. Sinaloa (Capones is on Sinaloa but the other direction off Fremont.) intersects Fremont at a stop sign with a Pemex and a Bank on the corners.

The carneceria that people have mentioned is across the street from the Telmex building. Easiest way to find this is to watch for the large microwave towers on the left hand side of Benito Juarez as you come into town. Pretty much in the middle of town. Parking can be difficult in this area so you might want to park where you can and and walk. Telmex is a large well marked building on one corner. Directly caddy corner across the street and about 3 buildings down the street on the opposite side from Telmex is the favored butchershop. There is a SS hospital across the street. It is small but well marked, they almost always have an English Speaker and will cut what you want. You can get precut beef, pork, chicken and some seafood at the Bodega, Super Ley, Santa Fe markets as well.

Any questions let us know and GV will answer.

wendell

the only problem with that store is they do not stock filet--at least that is what i have been told by them the times i been there

GV Jack

Snorin God
Maybe we need a FAQ on this subject. It has all been covered on other posts but:

Every store has a good selection of fresh fruit and veggies:

Santa Fe Market and Bodega across the street both on Benito Juarez on the edge of town coming from Sonoita.
Super Ley and Las Palmas just off Benito Juarez, turn at the light in front of Aka Si. Right hand turn coming into town.
There is a Fruteria on the right hand side of Sinaloa, about 5 blocks off Fremont. Favorite of the locals. Sinaloa (Capones is on Sinaloa but the other direction off Fremont.) intersects Fremont at a stop sign with a Pemex and a Bank on the corners.

The carneceria that people have mentioned is across the street from the Telmex building. Easiest way to find this is to watch for the large microwave towers on the left hand side of Benito Juarez as you come into town. Pretty much in the middle of town. Parking can be difficult in this area so you might want to park where you can and and walk. Telmex is a large well marked building on one corner. Directly caddy corner across the street and about 3 buildings down the street on the opposite side from Telmex is the favored butchershop. There is a SS hospital across the street. It is small but well marked, they almost always have an English Speaker and will cut what you want. You can get precut beef, pork, chicken and some seafood at the Bodega, Super Ley, Santa Fe markets as well.

Any questions let us know and GV will answer.
Not me buddy. Every time I try to help and relate my very positive experiences, somebody jumps down my throat. And it's almost always at your request.

All that aside, I had an excellent expereience at that shop. Six absolutly wonderful ribeyes, that only I could cook to such perfection. Get the boots.
The street is Bravo and it's right on the corner where Roberto was talking about. Little shop, but very nice folks in it. Be patient because they hand cut and trim your carne.

Roberto

:notworthy::notworthy:GV SEZ: that only I could cook to such perfection.

Beef Grilling lessons at GV's next visit down !!

playaperro

El Pirata
I kind of prefer the old merced market, the old butcher is an amigo and cuts the prime rib to prefection. Chorizo is very tastee also fruits and veggie's are good.
It' north of la curva at the turn around...

Not me buddy. Every time I try to help and relate my very positive experiences, somebody jumps down my throat. And it's almost always at your request.

All that aside, I had an excellent expereience at that shop. Six absolutly wonderful ribeyes, that only I could cook to such perfection. Get the boots.
The street is Bravo and it's right on the corner where Roberto was talking about. Little shop, but very nice folks in it. Be patient because they hand cut and trim your carne.
Do they have the murals of cows on the outside of the shop?

GV Jack

Snorin God
You know what Joe. I don't really remember. I was so traumatised by having spent the time with Puerto Penasco's finest, I just wanted to get the meat and find a bathroom.

I somewhat recall Roberto's s morning person mentioning something about that, but again I don't recall. Could have something to do with age,also.

By the way, I'm not talking to you. You suckered me in last time. While I hate to change from a successful venture I may try Playa's spot next. Nothin ventured, nothing gained.

dwig222

I kind of prefer the old merced market, the old butcher is an amigo and cuts the prime rib to prefection. Chorizo is very tastee also fruits and veggie's are good.
It' north of la curva at the turn around...
I love that store. I think it's a lot better than Super Ley's, but they don't have a huge selection. If you just want the basics, this is a great store.

GV Jack

Snorin God
This won't come as a huge shock to anyone, but I'm confused.

Which meat market doesn't carry filets? That's one of my favs.

badfish

Thanks every body for the responses! I know my way around PP pretty well so i am sure ican find most of the places. I am on Google Earth right now and the only place i am having a problem finding is carneceria on Benito Juarez by the Telmex. I will keep a look out for the microwave stations while driving down.

GV Jack

Snorin God
Hopefully, I can help here.

As you are coming north on Benito Juarez from say Fremont, when you come to the first Pemex station, you turn right and go up a couple blocks. That's Bravo.
You will see Telemex office on the right and Rocky Imports on the left. That is the corner where the place is. Exactly it is on the north-east corner.
Bravo and Gullermo Prieto. Happy hunting and watch out for the cops, they frown on light crashing.

badfish

Benito Juarez runs East to West. I found Gullermo Prieto but cant find Bravo on Google maps. Still looking.

GV Jack

Snorin God
Blow up the area around Prieto. As you go along it, you should see Nicolas Bravo. That's the intersection.

I just did Google Maps and that's what I found. I should have mentioned Nicolas.

Thanks to everybody for all the info. I'm going down for a wedding on Oct 10 and I was going to bring all the meat for a barbeque from Phoenix. Now, I think i'll just get it at one of the mentioned markets. I don't want to risk having it confiscated.