Wheres the best place to exchange dollars for pecos

az-dan

If I wanted to exchange a couple hundred dollars to pesos where do you recommend I go and what is the exchange rate now?
How much is diesel now?

If you hit the bank on the corner of Sinaloa and Fremont (same street as Reggies is on), they have an ATM that gives either US$ or pesos. They usually have the exchange rate posted in the window of the bank (buy/Sell).

My last time down, diesel was 9.41 pesos/liter....that's just under $3/gallon with an exchange rate of 12 pesos/dollar. It has been inching up every trip down....

I don't know if a couple of the banks are bank to exchanging directly....they stopped for a while....but they took a copy of your passport when they were doing it. I used the bank just south of Fremont on the diagonal street to Benito Juarez, running to Manny's (past the Town Hall) previous times.

InkaRoads

cronopiador
if you already have the dollars with you, Joe is right you will need your passport to do it in any bank, the best exchange rate is in Bancomex located in the northeast corner of Sinaloa and Fremont Blvd. in the same shopping center as the coffe bistro and Mexican Inmigration, this bank only gives pesos when using the ATM but their exchange is the highest as of 8-17-2011

The ATM there gives dollars? I had no idea. The only one I knew of that gave USD was the ATM inside Max's Cafe, across from Penasco del Sol hotel. And the ATM at Max's has CRAZY fees, btw.

az-dan

if you already have the dollars with you, Joe is right you will need your passport to do it in any bank, the best exchange rate is in Bancomex located in the northeast corner of Sinaloa and Fremont Blvd. in the same shopping center as the coffe bistro and Mexican Inmigration, this bank only gives pesos when using the ATM but their exchange is the highest as of 8-17-2011
Thanks, that will work.

playaperro

El Pirata
Personally I would just do the exchange at the gas station while gassing up in penasco. Might lose a couple dollars in the exchange, but well worth it. Exchange rate is
posted on top of the pumps.I would do hundred first with a purchase of ten dollars of gas. To hot to haggle right now.

The Banorte Bank on Freemont,southside has an ATM that does dollars and pesos. I withdrew some pesos in June and got an excellent exchange rate 11.67 to the dollar when most other places were
showing 11.3 and Pemex stations giving only 10.8. It cost me $3.50 for the atm/bank fee to buy 5000 pesos.
At Super Ley if you buy something for only a few dollars and use a $50 or $100 bill they will give you pesos if you ask. The last time I did that I got 11.95 to 1 when most places were 11 to 1.

dwig222

Dollars for Pecos? Who is Pecos? I might be interested! Sorry Az Dan, I couldn't resist. Just kidding of course!

The Super Ley bit is not a bad idea....go in a couple of times and use $100 bills....the last time down, the rate they gave you was better then the ATM at the bank....it's printed right on your receipt.....and you won't have the ATM exchange fees....which can run about $3-4 (US).

InkaRoads

cronopiador
OK ladies, how many thread do you need to finally realize that your best bet is to go to Super Ley and exchange your dollars to pesos for free, and to use pesos since you are in a pesos driven country, you guys need to understand that not matter what, it is always better to use the currency of the country you are in that foreign currency!!! even if the dollars was at it's strongest point, pesos will be better to use in Mexico.

Eduardo....i mostly agree with you....but several of the restaurants/bars that cater to us gringos don't even have prices listed in pesos.....

BTW....anyone know what the new Walmart Bodega is doing in terms of US$ exchange? Until recently, I hated to go into Super Ley on weekends....unless I hit it on Friday when I got into town....the crowds were rather large!

InkaRoads

cronopiador
Aurrera does the same as Super Ley with the exchange of dollars, however I have not pay attention to the exchange rate and certain debit card can get cash back just like in USA, but not all, not sure how that works, anybody that uses it more often than me might have more info.

GV Jack

Snorin God
Just as an aside, the first time I went to RP a number of years ago, when I left, I filled up at a Pemex. I had no idea what I got, how much of it I got and how much it cost me.

I do know I got back to the gate and still had plenty of gas left over. Next week the same thing will happen, cause I'm many days older, but absolutely no smarter.

Pesos/dollars, when they run out, your out.