Who are these Guys?

tyler

I like pie.
Staff member
I've always wondered.... What happens if your boat doesn't start back up or run out of gas and you're in the middle of the ocean... What do you do?

don

Well Known Member
"Ya gotta remember your EAP (Emergency Action Procedures)

1.) Get down on your knees and give thanks, for your prayers have been answered.

2.) Contact your launcher/docking location via your vhf radio, inform them that you've decided to spend the night. Then turn the radio off to conserve battery power, you may need it to keep your baitwell operational (don't want dead bait), to operate your cd player and night fishing lights.

3. ) bait up with the largest most lively bait you have, grab a samich' and something cold to drink, drop your bait to the bottom, set the rod in the rod holder, move your chair to the gunwale so you can put your feet up, (close to the rod though), grab your samich' and drink, and sit back. Ahhh, life is good... :D
:boat:

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
tyler said:
I've always wondered.... What happens if your boat doesn't start back up or run out of gas and you're in the middle of the ocean... What do you do?
Honestly? You do everything in your power to prevent both of these situations. I always know how much gas I've put in and my Yamaha Fuel Management System tells me how much I've burned at any given time. I got the chance to test how accurate the Fuel Management System is recently in San Carlos. Filled both tanks (250 gallons total), fished for two days, refilled both tanks and checked against what the system said I had burned. The Fuel Management System said I had burned 128 gallons. Pemex said I burned 116 gallons. It's off by about 10 gallons on a 100. Checked it again a couple days later with near similar results. So it's off a little bit, but off in the right direction. I'd rather have it telling me I burned a little more than what I did rather than less. That way, I can count on having a little bit in reserve.

Also, good boaters generally follow the rule of thirds when it comes to fuel. Calculate 1/3 for your trip to fish, 1/3 for your trip back into port, and 1/3 for reserve. If you follow that logic, you should never run out of fuel.

Engines not starting. That's a different animal. But again, preventive maintenance is the key. I service my engines every year - new filters, lube upper and lower, grease points, pull the prop and inspect, new anodes, and new plugs every two years, regardless of how few hours I've put on the motors. I also service my batteries, make sure they are filled with distilled water, and that they are holding a charge. When not in use, the boat is plugged into shore power and has a battery charging system to keep them topped off. At the first sign of a battery becoming weak, I change all four at the same time. Our desert heat, not to mention the saltwater environment, is particularly brutal on batteries. If I get three years out of a set of batteries, I consider myself lucky. Something I do and I highly recommend to all is carry a jump starter on board. I've never had to use it, but I like the peace of mind it provides just in case a battery does decide to suddenly die. It's self-contained and has enough juice to start either of my motors several times.

Speaking of "either" motor, that's the other key to the offshore boating equation - twin motors. Having twin outboards (or inboards) is almost an insurance policy that you will be able to make it back to port. If one engine fails, you've got the other. You might limp back in at slower speed, but you'll get back in. The probability of both engines failing at the same time is high and generally limited to any systems they may have in common - electrical or fuel. My boat has separate fuel tanks, one for each motor, and each motor has its own battery that can be isolated with the flip of a switch.

The only real worry I ever have is something catastrophic occurring. Those are the kinds of things you can't see coming and couldn't prevent even if you did. Others here on the forum know of my rescue efforts last spring when a boat blew up and burned within minutes. If you haven't seen these pictures, they will chill you to the bone. A good example of how wrong things can go and how fast it can happen.

http://picasaweb.google.com/CompuQuill/ ... ntBoatFire

In October 2003, five guys from Tucson lost their lives fishing out of Penasco. A father/son, and three other friends. Although no one knows exactly what happened out there, I learned one key thing from the launchers after it happened that probably set the stage for the disaster. They were fishing a power cat, like my boat, and it had a newly installed tuna tower on it. The launcher told me the boat seemed top heavy. They also insisted launching the boat themselves, rather than letting one of the launchers do it. When they got the boat in the water, it wouldn't start. They pulled it back up on the trailer, still in the water, and used cables to jump start it from the truck. They then all jumped aboard and headed out. With dead batteries. There was never a mayday call, never any radio contact with them. Searching by the Mexican Navy found the boat overturned, just under the surface a few days later near La Guardia. Three of the bodies were recovered, one the son, who was tied with rope to a cooler. It's ashame that instead of taking an hour and going and buying a new battery or two, they made the mistake of thinking that their batteries would charge while they were running. I fully believe it was that decision that ultimately cost them their lives.

I always like to tell this story, too. I call it "Idiots Go Fishing." It's true, and happened in Punta Chivato in 1998. The wife and I were camped on the beach. Some folks we met on the beach invited us to go out fishing on their boat, a large older Sea Ray. Things were going great, we were catching some nice dorado. I was at the helm driving while the owner of the boat was playing a very nice dorado. The dorado ran in and under the boat and the owner shouted at me "Kill it! Kill it!" So, I took the boat out of gear and switched the motor off. He looked at me and said "Why did you turn the motor off?" Uhhhh, because you said "Kill it?" which to me, means shut it down. Well, he finished playing the fish and got it in the boat. Then, he took over the helm. When he went to restart the motor, it cranked, but would not start. Up comes the motor cover and he starts tinkering around with the Chevy 350 that he had just rebuilt. Tries to start it again, cranks, but no start. Then, the genius gets the bright idea that he needs to adjust the distributor. WHAT? Takes a wrench, loosens the distributor, and starts turning it a bit, then trying to start the motor again. Also spraying starter fluid down the carb. Still won't start and now the battery is starting to weaken and it's getting dark. Great. I basically kept my mouth shut because he was pissed at me for turning the motor off in the 1st place. Finally, I spoke up - try turning the distributor in the opposite direction. He looked at me like I didn't know what I was talking about, but then did what I suggested. A very weak battery whirrrrr, whirrrr. vrrrooom! The motor started right up. Closed the engine cover and back to the beach with about five nice dorado.

Moral of the story? Don't even start tweaking on stuff like engine timing while you're out at sea!
Durrrrrrrrr. :cry: :roll: :roll: :cry:

don

Well Known Member
Superb reply Stuart!

Actually I hope Tyler know I was joking about spending the night. I read Rics' account of spending a planned night at the 51, and it sure makes one think twice about spending the night on the ocean.

I have no plans on spending a night out...

I was hoping Bahia Trader was also going to respond to this thread as he did have engine problems. I believe it was about 16/18 miles out. His com padre (who was not familiar with his kicker motor) started the kicker and unknowingly increased the speed on the engine to the point the ratcheting engine mount raised thus allowing the water cooling inlet port to rise out of the water. Presto, burned impellar and no backup engine. They could not reach anyone on the vhf. So, He, Robert used his cell phone and called for help. The Mexican Naval was dispatched, and located them adrift. There large vessel was too large to tow them in, so they waited alongside Roberts boat untill a smaller Mexican Naval vessel arrived and towed them into port. Cost was nothing. They would not even take a "Thank you Gift"!

Incredible service!

So, another thing I've learned from these forums is to take along a cell phone which provides service to wherever I roam in the ocean. (I actually take along my daughters phone now when I head out).

Most everyone I know has a kicker engine which will work for returning to port. I also carry aboard a highly quality backup (Coast Guard uses them) submersible handheld radio. As I leave port, I'll also ask for a radio check, and of course I inform my launcher/dock location where I'm heading and return time.

I have a battery for electronics only, and one for each engine. I also carry a spare battery. Two separate fuel lines, two separate fuel/water separators, with isolator valves. Spare GPS system (with its own battery pack). When I'm onshore every evening, I will plug in my shore battery charger just to make sure we're fully charged, and like I've learned from Stu, replace the batteries every two years. (They go to protected water boats).

Upkeep cannot be overstressed, especially fuel tanks, grounding wires and fuel lines/connectors, and just having boating awareness at all times.

Finally, last time I was out at 22, the other boat fishing there, motored on over and mentioned they were heading in, and that I was the last vessel out. Keeping track of others...

I, like many other (law) monitor vhf radio channels for distress calls.

Stu's quick action last year probably saved a few fishermens' lives. I know he carries a First a
Aid kit as well.

Ocean fishing can be a ball, but the oceans not forgiving. I also make sure that at least one other person aboard can fully operate everything.

Shore may not be a stones throw away.
don

B

bahiatrader

I just hadn't got around to it yet, Don. We were 17 mi. out. We were coming home on the kicker motor when the starter on my Mercruiser failed. My companion was trying to adjust the depth of the outboard. The mount was spring loaded and sprang to the "up" position. By the time I got to the back of the boat, the damage had already been done. It only ran for 30 seconds or so at full throttle in the "up" position. I put it back in the water, and we didn't go very far before it overheated. I had to completely replace the powerhead on that motor. You try to be safe, and have backup plans, but sometimes stuff just happens.
I always carry an extra fully charged deep cycle battery and a small set of tools for simple emergency repairs. I sometimes have to be a little vague when I go exploring, but I always leave a float plan with someone on shore. For years I have filed a float plan with Cholla Bay Rescue by radio as I'm leaving the harbor. For some reason, they weren't available the morning we went out, nor could we reach them when we broke down. I was able to contact a Mexican fisherman on the radio, but we lost him before we could give our position. When we contacted someone on shore with the cell phone, they tried Cholla Bay with no answer and finally contacted the Armada Naval. Those guys were Great! Very courteous, very professional. I even tried to buy a round of cervesa for the crew, but they politely refused.
Besides a radio, I always bring my cell phone with the number of a person I can call for help. My AT&T cell phone works great in Mexico. I even have a number I can call when I go on the lakes and river around where I live. When you go out on the water, everything had darn well be in tip top condition. I've been adrift. It might make for good stories, but the experience sucks. I don't need any more survival training.

InkaRoads

cronopiador
I have been out on the ocean a few times and after reading your stories I am glad that nothing ever happen and hopefully nothing will ever happen, touch wood, only once run out of gas in the lake but as you know you get a quick pull in the lake!!!! not like the ocean.
Now,those two look the infamous 2 guys from the forum waiting for the fish to bite!!!! KC or K & C I should say!!!

don

Well Known Member
I think I've seen his picture at the Post Office.

Been to San Carlos? Hows the fishin' on the river?