Who's fishing on the 4th?

FM4

I know it's a long shot, but Ill be in town for the 2-4th of July. I was supposed to head out with some friends on a private boat but they had to cancel. Not really interested in paying a panga $100 to catch cochitos.

So I thought I'd see if anyone has room for one more to go out for some grouper I am willing pay for more than my share of gas/beer etc. I've fished the Sea of Cortez my whole life. I've got quality gear and am easy to get along with.

If not I'll probably fish and/or spear from the rocks solo so hit me up if you wanna meet up for that.

Let me know thanks,
Frank

Shawno

Frank, I'll be fishing that weekend if weather permits. I'm sure there will be space for you on my boat either Saturday or Sunday.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Shawno...........

I'll be out for the four days as well, weather permitting. Maybe see ya on the sea. It'zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Do-Do time!

JJ

Reactions: FM4

FM4

That's awesome. I grew up fishing down in San Carlos, I had heard of the occasional dorado or yellowtail sighting out of PP but I didn't know there was legit opportunities for Pelagics this far north. That's a game changer now that I live in Yuma.

Hey FM............

I've caught Yellowtail out of PP every month of the year from the Pelican Point reef, south to the mouth of the harbor and on down to Isla San Jorge. Not a lot, but one or two on most trips. Some big, but most are smaller four or five pounders that go right into the wok sizzlin with coconut oil that evening.

Dorado start showing up now thru October, gotta go out to blue water to find them, at least twenty miles. Most are small schoolies in the three to five pound range that hang around the Sargasso paddies, but every-so-often we get a big solo bull out there which is what I'm going to target this upcoming holiday weekend.

I live in Yuma too. What do you do here?

JJ

AKA: "BLOW-HARD" by certain doubters that hang out in this forum!

Landshark

I buy tuna filets at Sea Products that I assume are yellowtail. They are a deep burgundy color. Normally cook them on the grill medium rare. They taste good but are a little tough and stringy. Any suggestions, am I cooking them wrong?

Hey Shark...........

Yellowtail have light white or pinkish colored flakey flesh. Your "deep burgundy" solid muscle stuff is probably Yellowfin Tuna, common in the Sea of Cortez farther south. Try keeping your tuna fillets thinner, maybe an inch thick when doing them on the barbie. They cook fast so don't over do it. When fresh, like just off the hook, they're delicious raw with the blood still pumping. I keep a bottle of Kikkoman and a tube of wasabe mustard on my boat for the occasional Yellowtail that I get. Wash it down with a cold Tecate and mummmmmmmmm!

JJ

FM4

Thanks for the info JJ. I've been in Yuma for almost 6 years now. I work for a trucking company, mostly from home on the computer and phone.

I spend a lot of time fishing the river out here and try to get to the salt as much as possible. Some friends and I have been going down to gonzaga the last few years trying to figure out these grouper. We've had some success on good cabrilla and smaller gulf grouper but no big boys yet. It looks like there's a few fishermen on here that are really dialed in on these bigger fish, I'd love to pick your brains for more info. One of my friends just bought a 26ft striper so we're looking to really get after it this season.

Also, I agree about fresh sashimi for tuna and yellowtail. I always feel like I'm ruining it by cooking it.

Hey FM..................

Gonzaga Bay, a lot of buen adventuras outta that place, AKA "Yellowtail Alley". I used to camp and launch from Bahia Willard at Papa Fernandez. Just up the coast are Las Islas Encantadas with more Yellowtail than anywhere on earth. Back in the 80's I had a sweet slick custom Center Console Super Panga built for that run. Built and offroad trailer to haul it on and had a 90 horse Yami on it with a 60 gal. fuel tank that would push that cervical beater up to 50 mph. You need something like that in order to avoid "Los Chubascos", the unpredictable and dangerous Baja desert winds that in the summer sweep down those canyons onto the Sea of Cortez, especially through Gonzaga Bay. The same winds that hit us off of PP in the afternoons.

You can do some "brain pickin" diggin thru some of my old posts.

I usually haul out of Yuma around noon on a Friday and stay in PP till Monday or Tuesday. I always trailer my boat there and back since there is no covered secured storage and I hate spending hours cleaning off all of the Pelican and Cormorant poop.

I'm sure that you've seen my trucks around town with the "Willys Jeep Parts" graphics. I'm at the Post Office every week day around 4:30 to drop off packages.

See ya later,

JJ

Shawno

Looks like I'll be fishing by myself or with my wife on Friday to Sunday. Each day will be breezy with 2' to 4' waves. Tides and current will be extreme, but the grouper bite should still be good close in. If you want to join me, meet at Safe Marina at 7 am tomorrow, or ask for me at Al Capones on Friday night. I have gear and 28' boat with twin 225s. We will split costs/fish within reason. Leave your gps at home. I don't do charters.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

FM4

I won't be making out this weekend. My wife had a death in her family and we had to cancel.
Good luck to everyone I hope to see some big fish pics soon, stay safe out there.

Frank