Wi-fi / internet

sehanks

Anyone have any experience adding VPN to telmex infinitum (DSL) modem or piggybacking another router with VPN onto the telmex? Thanks

Idyllwild

Well Known Member
I’ve been running Express VPN (both software and a jailbroken Lynksys with firmware) using another provider. Islas Del Mar is in the process of switching to Telmex fiber, and I just signed up for that today. I anticipate no problems.

Kea

Well Known Member
I'm interested it this, too. I'm somewhat tech savvy - I have set up routers before and even changed their names and passwords. But have no experience with VPNs. Reading the procedures for setting it up on a router seemed above my pay grade.

Idyllwild

Well Known Member
Long in the past I was very proficient with computer stuff, but not so much in the last 20 years. Installing ExpressVPN firmware on a Lynkays router was a bit tricky. It’s probably easy to brick the thing. Why bother if you can just run the software version of the VPN? Essentially all streaming services will recognize what you’re doing and either give you the Mexican content (Netflix) or deny you (Apple). Currently Amazon Prime video is even recognizing my firmware VPN. I run two routers, with and without. My standard router serves up Mexican Netflix with a lot of programming Netflix can’t license in the US because other streaming services are carrying it.

I have found customer service at ExpressVPN to be good. At one point they were direct selling routers with their firmware installed.

brokenwave

Well Known Member
Long in the past I was very proficient with computer stuff, but not so much in the last 20 years. Installing ExpressVPN firmware on a Lynkays router was a bit tricky. It’s probably easy to brick the thing. Why bother if you can just run the software version of the VPN? Essentially all streaming services will recognize what you’re doing and either give you the Mexican content (Netflix) or deny you (Apple). Currently Amazon Prime video is even recognizing my firmware VPN. I run two routers, with and without. My standard router serves up Mexican Netflix with a lot of programming Netflix can’t license in the US because other streaming services are carrying it.

I have found customer service at ExpressVPN to be good. At one point they were direct selling routers with their firmware installed.
Are you saying that a VPN is now useless for trying to stream Amazon Prime, Netflix Etc? (in Mexico for watching US content)

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
Are you saying that a VPN is now useless for trying to stream Amazon Prime, Netflix Etc? (in Mexico for watching US content)
We have had no success in using a VPN for Netflix, Hulu, or Amazon. It usually works for a day or 2 then it gets discovered as a VPN and it denies access. So we watch Netflix Mexico which has a fair amount of programming on it.

Idyllwild

Well Known Member
I have had little to no success running software VPNs (multiple products) to stream US TV, including Netflix, Apple TV, and Amazon Prime. Using a Lynksys router that I jailbroke to run Express VPN firmware I was getting all of the above. A couple months ago Amazon started detecting the VPN server and blocking us. ExpressVPN has been trying to defeat them. Currently I easily get US Netflix and Apple TV+/HBO.

Your best bet for not being detected by Netflix, Amazon, etc is buying a dedicated IP from the VPN provider. They are detecting you because you are sharing the same IP with 100's of other people and the companies learn the IP's then blacklist them. You have a better chance with a dedicated IP because YOU are the only one using that IP so it's harder for them to detect. It's not 100% reliable and YMMV since you don't know what that IP was doing before you got it or if it was already blacklisted, but you should have much better luck with a dedicated. And if/when they catch on, change the IP again.

...Or for the technically inclined, you can setup a VPN from your location in MX to your router at your home in the states and you would be seen to the streaming peeps as you are logging in from your stateside home.

Cortez2

Netgear router with Strong VPN
Works perfectly

mondone

Whitecaps
...Or for the technically inclined, you can setup a VPN from your location in MX to your router at your home in the states and you would be seen to the streaming peeps as you are logging in from your stateside home.
How is that accomplished exactly?

How is that accomplished exactly?
Really depends on what type of router you have, if it supports VPN's, and if you have a static Public IP assigned to you (in the states). A static IP is not required, but if you don't get one, your public IP could/may/will change in the future by your ISP without your knowledge and you won't be able to connect to the VPN unless you change your client to the new IP (with some providers, a simple reboot of the router will change your public IP). Alternatively, you can always setup dynamic DNS, but static just makes life easier and its maybe only $5/mo from your ISP. I suggest you Google setting up a VPN on your specific model as they are all very different, so I cannot really give a detailed step-by-step, but I will try to give a quick rundown.

Login to your router and see if anything mentions VPN settings; for most consumer routers, it would likely be under advanced settings somewhere. There are different protocols you can use, most likely it would show PPTP, L2TP, or OpenVPN. I suggest you configure L2TP/IPSec if they have it or OpenVPN (PPTP is older and crappier security). Configure the VPN with a username and password. On your Windows 10 PC (sorry, Apple-anything is gross to me :)), type "VPN Settings" in the lower-left search bar to open the built-in VPN client and configure the VPN to match what you setup on your home router. Along with the user/pass, you will need the IP or dynDNS address to connect to. To find your public IP address at home, visit a website that shows the IP assigned by your ISP (my go to is www.ipchicken.com) and it will display your public IP (ie: 1.2.3.4) - this is what you will use as the server/address name on the client. For dynamic DNS, it will be whatever service/address you chose to use (ie: AZhome.dyndns.com). If you use OpenVPN, you need to download and use their client and import the config file provided by your router.
When you want to connect to the VPN (if using the Win built-in client), just click your network status icon in the bottom-right of your screen 1609777812832.png and the VPN you created will show; click on it to connect. For OpenVPN, open the client software you installed on your PC to connect. To verify all is successful, go to www.ipchicken.com and it should show the same public IP as your home IP (ie: 1.2.3.4). Obviously, if you are at home in states setting up for first time and want to test it out, it will always show the same public IP if you're connected or not, so I suggest testing offsite or simply testing with a hotspot on your phone: turn off the WIFI on your phone so you are connected to 4G, start the hotspot on your phone, connect your PC to the hotspot, run www.ipchicken.com to see your public IP (ie: 9.8.7.6), then start the VPN connection on the PC. When VPN shows connected, run www.ipchicken.com again, and it should show the same as your home IP (ie: 1.2.3.4).

playaperro

El Pirata
Directv with local channels works great, that vpn stuff gets old no matter what they come up with they will override it as soon as they find out. I do welcome your input Cortez since your in Conchas.

Terry C

Well Known Member
we are able to stream with just an older ruku. Just plug it into the tv, power it and it connnects to your WiFi. We use dish for local channels. We are not able to get Prime though

richwi

Well Known Member
For me it's a bit strange. I use Surfshark VPN. I have a "smart" tv, but it doesn't have it's own browser built in so I installed the VPN on my router. Both Netflix and Amazon catch the VPN. I also have Surfshark on our laptops and our phones. If I turn off the VPN on the router and just use the VPN on my laptop I can stream both US Netflix and US Amazon no problem. If I want to watch one of the US movies or shows I just steam with my laptop and connect the laptop to the TV. I called Surfshark (really good support BTW) and asked them if they could explain this. They had me try an bunch of stuff and they were baffled. On well, not a big deal at all to hook the laptop up to the TV. As a side note, much of the stuff I wanted to watch on Netflix ends up being available in Mexico anyway.

mondone

Whitecaps
I'm using P.I.A. VPN on my Firestick, smart TV, laptop, phones, and Ipads for couple of years now and get Amazon Prime, Netflix, and some local channels ( using apps like CBS all access, Fox now, etc.) signing in with my TV provider which is Cox cable.