Wi Fi speeds??

Roberto

Well Known Member
What Wi Fi speed are you getting and who is your provider?? In Unconscious I get 1 to 5 from Infinitum and 2 to 7 sometimes 10 from ViaSat. Neighbor has a set up that we measured at 600 !! Saw it myself. There are several providers with speed quotes all over the range but invariably measure less. I have been quoted installation cost of from some $80 to over $1,000 , including required equipment which you own.

Tel Cell is offering internet for 299 pesos for a predetermined number of megabites but at a 10 MB per second speed. with a charge for a modem. Not sure how much maybe $80usd . Anyone using it?

It has been explained to me that you get the signal in one of two ways, by wire or through the air. While you can improve the spread of the signal within your location you cannot increase the speed. The choke point is the speed at the entry to your modem, never more.

On another matter. I see speeds quoted and measured in Mega bites per second. I also see Megabites used as a volume measure. Can anyone explain that in understandable terms?

Any thoughts, additions, disagreements welcome. Thanking anyone in advance.

brokenwave

Well Known Member
Roberto,
We hooked up with Megaline Network in Cholla, they do installations in other areas.
It's a dish based Internet with line of sight needed to work or use the antenna from another Mega customer.
I get 6-7 Mbps down load speed and 1.2 up. When it's windy it's slower.

On the usage question some plans have caps on Megabytes of use. (Usually 300GB to 1TB, Terrabyte which is 1000 GB of data)

Megabytes per second is your transfer speed and Megabytes/Gigabytes is how much data you can use before
they want to charge you extra for using more data than your plan comes with. Like the days of early cell service 100 minutes and 300 texts.

Easy way to describe that is, when you click on a website and the page loads it will require approx 1-2 megabytes of
info to display on your screen, click on a lot of sites and you use more Megabytes.

Streaming a movie from ex. Netflix requires 300MB - 2GB of data transfer to watch a 1 hour show.
Lower resolution display 480p is approx 300 Megabytes, watching something in super hi res 4K requires much more data
approx 2-3 Gigabytes (Gigabyte is 1000 megabytes). More data is needed to fill those extra pixels a 4K TV needs to look great.

So it's basically measuring data volume like how much water you use except your'e using 0's and 1's instead of gallons of water.

Roberto

Well Known Member
Broken Wave Sez" It's a dish based Internet with line of sight needed to work or use the antenna from another...

thanks for the info !! the info about the MB required to view a page or a movie was most helpful to me. That is what I thought.

OK but do you know where the Megaline Network signal originates from? they have to get their feed from somewhere. A sat. up in the sky or from a tower somewhere, local line of sight?? Guess it could come on a wire or fiber optic, to a local location then broadcast line of sight. Do you know if Megaline is a local company or regional or national?

ernesto

Well Known Member
Roberto, does your telmex wifi work in LC? Mine one works half the time now. Terrible. Had the same technician out twice, he's worthless. Guess that's what you get for $25 a month. The girls in the HOA office say there's works fine. Go figure.Gonna keep calling telmex for service.

Roberto

Well Known Member
It has been on and off. Usually here it is a problem with phone line. The lines are old with corroded connections. The phone might work but if it is noisy the modem will read that noise as a signal and the Wi Fi is wonky, Have had problems with the model as well. Try this guy Yonatan, 638 1114 8635. He says they are outsource for Tel Cel. tell him you heard about him on the grapevine !! He may want to be paid as well, do not know.

ernesto

Well Known Member
Mine worked well up til the big winds a couple months ago. Not quick but so what, I could stream Netflix. Don't have any need for speed, just reliability so I can read the paper, check e mail etc, I guess I'll go to the main office and state my case politely.

brokenwave

Well Known Member
Broken Wave Sez" It's a dish based Internet with line of sight needed to work or use the antenna from another...

thanks for the info !! the info about the MB required to view a page or a movie was most helpful to me. That is what I thought.

OK but do you know where the Megaline Network signal originates from? they have to get their feed from somewhere. A sat. up in the sky or from a tower somewhere, local line of sight?? Guess it could come on a wire or fiber optic, to a local location then broadcast line of sight. Do you know if Megaline is a local company or regional or national?
Roberto,
In Cholla the service is offered by Ben Brown (yes one of the Brown brothers), There is a tower in Cholla that has a 5ft dish pointed to RP, they get their service from Telmex supposedly before it is put into the RP internet system. It is a dish to dish delivery system from an outside of RP Telmex tower. Which is why I haven't seen much of a slow down in speed, as I was told. B. Brown has partners that are offering Megaline service in Encanto, LC ? for $30 per month with speeds of 5mbs down and 1mbs up. I believe there are ad's in the RP Times for their service.

So far it has been a positive experience, (I can stream Netflix and Dish anywhere with no buffering). A funny thing that happened was someone shot my dish with a 22cal gun. There is a blue light on the dish that you can only see at night, We figure one of the people driving their pangas at night thought it was a security camera spying on their possible non lawful night time activities on Pinto Point in Cholla. I also have a repeater antenna on my house that allows those without a line of sight to the main antenna in Cholla to have service from Megaline via my repeater.

Good news is that it still works and definitely a 22 cal hole through it. (I have a picture of it and know where the shooter was)

Roberto

Well Known Member
Hmmmm… I know of 3 people who are using essentially a similar set up from another provider who are each paying $120USD per month !!!

Is the signal form Tel Cel or Mex.?? Did you purchase some equipment ?? If so what did you pay. Do you have a contract specifying a time interval you agreed to purchase service?

Thanks for the reply !!!

brokenwave

Well Known Member
Roberto,
Service is ID'd as Telmex when I do a speed test.
I paid a $250 fee for the install and equipment, the Modem router can be bought for $40 on-line, not a great one but was surprised
by it's range. I saw Ad's for Megaline Network service in the RP Times? Advertising it for $30 per month
I pay $40, supposed to go down after they get a certain # of people signed up in Cholla (we'll see).
No contract get billed via e-mail every month, pay via Vemio.

I don't think the people who are paying $120 per month are using the same Megaline service, sounds like Excede Satellite service. Might be a different name now Viasat? I looked into that but it was $80 per month, I'm not there enough to justify $80.
My dish is approx 15" wide and points to a land based tower 400 yards away, Excede Satellite service looks like a Direct dish and points to the sky.

Roberto

Well Known Member
More curiosity than anything but..... seems to me there are very few sources of the 'feed", the origin of the signal. It has to be very costly to generate content and produce a signal and distribute it . The originators essentially own the feed and certainly want to protect it. How do they do this?? Encoding and decoding ??
Your signal is Tel Mex not Tel Cel??

brokenwave

Well Known Member
When I do a speed test, It is showing the provider being Tel Mex.
Why there are very few providers is because Tel Mex was a monopoly until a few years ago.
Carlos Sim controlled everything, slowly companies like IZZI are getting a foot hold in larger markets.
I was told IZZI was going to be in RP 3 years ago, I don't believe they are close to starting in RP.

rpwifi

I offer Wifi service along the beaches starting in the Mirador towards the East covering also Las Conchas and all the way to San Jorge (past the Mayan Palace). Speeds are up to 40Mb depending on location. Prices start at $40 USD/month. Send me a personal msg for more information and price list (please indicate your location, the name of beach you want the service installed).

As for the question above regarding "Megabites": There are Bits and Bytes. A "Bit" is a 0 or 1, a "Byte" is a block of 8 Bits.

Transmission speeds are usually measured in Bits (or Megabits, Mb or Mbps) per second, and storage or traffic quotas are measured in Bytes (or Megabytes, MB). Notice the uppercase/lowercase Mb or MB. Mb are Megabits and MB are Megabytes. The same for Gigas, Teras etc.. . Gigabit is Gb and Gigabyte is GB.

So as an example, 1 Megabyte or 1MB equals 8 Megabit or 8Mb. So if you want to download 1MB of data per second you need 8Mb of Internet speed (in theory, in practice more like 10Mb due to network protocol overhead).

This is basic stuff but most people don't know unfortunately and it's not easy to discern for non techies.

Last edited: