Wifi

azfish

Where can you get some free wifi around sandy beach area, any coffee joint? Any input?

Thanks in advance.

Sally's (aka Oxchilles) has the Wi-Fi disabled as of last week . JJ's and the Old Boys Social Club nearby has wireless. JJ's is closed on Tues and Wed for the summer.
Wi-Fi is turned off when they are closed.

Max's Cafe on Calle 13 cross from Penasco del Sol has wifi, as do several of the places on the malecon (BooBar, etc.). I think the Coffee Shop on Benito Juarez in the area of the police station has wifi. Anyone know if Changos has wifi?

playaperro

El Pirata
I use the circle K on the main drag right before fremont, pull out the majicjack and start making calls, has a mex #~ bathrooms too...No toe tapping there!

I use the circle K on the main drag right before fremont, pull out the majicjack and start making calls, has a mex #~ bathrooms too...No toe tapping there!
Hey Playa, 'splain to me about magicJack in PP. I've been thinking about getting that. Does it work well? And HOW does it work? Do you have a particular "magicJack" cell phone? My ignorance is mighty; be kind, lol.

playaperro

El Pirata
Ok Wera two way's to use it, they have two types newer and older, I would get the newer one you plug it in too your laptop usb port and use your computer to talk and listen or plug a phone into it works anywhere that has wifi, rings too.. If you use a modem at home it plugs right into that and from there to phone or fax! You can also buy time to make international calls and apply those to any phone or cell, guau is that great huh! When you use it with the laptop a screen appears with all your contacts Like I said works anywhere that has wifi. Hey hows my Spanish on your blog, you know I do read it. One more thing when its hooked up to the modem it is always on like a regular phone. You can get a 1 800 number or any number or area code you want like huerita you know the numbers that match the letters.

Last edited:
Muchisimas gracias! So when you use it at Circle K, you've actually got your laptop with you to talk? How's the quality?

Your Spanish is a heck of a lot better than mine, my friend. Sigh. I really need to get more active with my blog again. (Thanks for reading it)

playaperro

El Pirata
De Nada Wera, yes i have my laptop with me can answer emails make calls there and no one knows I skipped town, works great there or where ever you can steal WiFi. Beats the heck looking for an open system around Las Conchas, but there are quite a few there. You can also buy a program that can tell you all your neighbors passwords, but that is top secret. I don't think my neighbors know yet.

RPGal

We stay at Playa de Oro - we can get the internet but my magic jack does not work well at all....any suggestions?

Playa de Oro wifi is not usually very steady, both signal strength (although that's gotten better with the multiple repeaters they now have), and throughput.....a lot of variation. I've had Magic Jack work, but not consistently.

Magic Jack will work ok with a steady 1 meg line

BTW, I don't think there are many open wifi's in Penasco that are faster then 1 meg (Actual throughput....approx. .7 meg download, .3 meg upload)

Last edited:
Does anyone use Skype? How does that work for you? I know some folks in San Felipe (El Dorado Ranch) who have a new Telnor connection are now having serious issues with Skype when making calls to land lines in the USA.

Roberto

One thing I learned about Magic Jack is to get off the internet when using. If you are poking around or downloading anything it can get choppy. Worked fine for me otherwise here in Penasco.