William Castle Rightful Heir to Estero de la Pinta

I am the rightful heir to the Estero de la Pinta. My father, Everett Castle, brother of Grace Gillespie, wife of Bernard Gillespie, willed all 10,000 hectares to me. I have original surveys, deeds, and photos to prove my claim. In fact, in 1992, a group representing themselves as a ejido on the property attempted to sell my own land. Anyone interested in learning more about the history and want copies of original documents, I have them. I will share the land with any persons with resources to clear remaining alleged ejido members off of property. You can reach me at 602-367-4166

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac
That is really interesting, I don't doubt you a bit, but there are more than just ejido members now, alot of the land has been privatized and titled and sold, there are also groups, getting ready to mine the mountain and another group is trying to tie up a piece, for a wind farm. Thanks for posting...

courtesy of carnac

Hello Mr. Castle. My father knew Mr. Gillespie. He was mentioned in the book "Gillespie's Gold." James Gibson, or "Jaime" as he liked to be called, would frequently host him for visits in town. I recall one summer, I was maybe twelve, he invited us to visit his home at "La Pinta." My father, my sister, and myself were priviledged to have stayed there for about a week. We got to ride around on a yellow fiberglass bodied go cart, which my father eventually bought. It truly was a paradise. I remember turning over a stone at the water's edge and discovering a small octopus. Just beautiful sunsets and pristine sea and dunes covered with vegetation. Aside from ourselves and Mr. Gillespie was his aged helper, I think his name was Eduardo. No other human presence was visible. At night was just the sound of the sea and the brilliant stars. Back then, the trip from Rocky point to La Pinta was a very rough road, the entrance being a number of miles from town, then quite a long ways on the single track dirt road. The drive in itself was quite an adventure. I remember years ago, reading of Mr. Gillespie's passing and of the controversy of the ownership of the land. I wondered what had been the outcome for the situation. I also wonder what happened to the stone house, and if the estuary has been built up, the way Rocky Point has. At any rate, it would be interesting to see it again. If anyone has photos, maybe post them? Oh, a final note, Mr Gillespie gave a copy of above mentioned book to my father, with a hand written note, complete with his signature (even though he isn't the author). I have it somewhere in storage.

Last edited:

Roberto

I have quite a few photos taken up at the mine and the road up as well as the stamping mill site at the estuary. About what year was your visit? Do you have any photos from your visit? Was the stamping mill there when you visited? It was down in the estuary about 1/4 mile from the hacienda. The hacienda is still standing, barely. Did you visit the orange grove with the well on the road up to the mine from the estuary? Last time I tried to get up there to the mine I was stopped by the military and turned back. They said they had a shooting range set up and it was not safe. There is a large military encampment west of the last intersection up there.
The clam bed nearby is the absolute best around. Dig a bucket full without moving the bucket !!
Thanks for the post. Any more info you want to share would be welcome. Have not been for some time but it has been my absolute favorite place in the area.

When we drove in, we only went past the "oasis," never visited his mine. I don't think I ever knew where it was located. The trip was around 1970, or 1971, so there were no other man made structures visible anywhere. Sadly, no photos. As kids back then, photos weren't even a consideration. My father had a 35mm camera, but he only used it while we were at home in RP, taking pictures of us around our lot. Very rarely would he take it out on excursions for fear of it being stolen. He would join in with the swimming, so it would have been left in the VW Camper, a very tempting item indeed! Oh if there were the one-time use cameras. As for clams, I didn't appreciate them when I was a child. I'd love to have that experience now. Our favorite seafood were live crabs caught at the estuary by black mountain on the other side of Cholla Bay. My father would time it so we'd arrive as the tide was receding making it easier to place our nets in the deep gullies. Brought home a couple of bucket fulls, place 'em right on the stove and turn on the burners. You could hear them scratching around, trying to get out, for a short while. I felt bad about that, but boy what a feast afterwards! We'd all gather 'round peeling the crabs while my father prepared a plate of "Crab Louie." White asparagus, deviled eggs, a sauce of some kind. Crabs would be chilled, then it would be served in a grand style on a bed of Romaine lettuce. I only wish I knew his recipe. Those are the things I miss about my summers in Rocky Point.

Nice. Thanks, Great Carnac. Any body have current photos of the Gillespie house? I barely remember it. Tried to look for it on Google Earth, found an "L" shaped building kind of south edge of the estuary. Maybe that's the stone building?

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac
The pictures I posted are the black mountain estuary, and you probably will see some buildings to the east, if you look..It's nothing like it was when you where a kid, hurricane nora in 1997 filled it in a little bit with beach sand.

courtesy of carnac

playaperro

El Pirata
The pictures I posted are the black mountain estuary, and you probably will see some buildings to the east, if you look..It's nothing like it was when you where a kid, hurricane nora in 1997 filled it in a little bit with beach sand.

courtesy of carnac
I was going to call you on that Tio. How many names you got anyway? I could swear its ejido Tecojomucho!