Windmill #2

MEXIMO

WINDMILL.JPG Looks like windmill #2 just showed up. (most of it anyways) Three rotors and part of the tower. It appears the foundation has been completed. I hope I'm there when they start assembling it! Anyhow, should be crankin out some power soon?

We saw the crane that will be used to lift all of that krap in San Luis RC a few days ago. It had about thirty pairs of dual wheels on it and two additional huge trailers with smaller cranes and twenty or more multi-ton iron weights on them. I guess the blades are too long and heavy for a helo lift. Those 100' trailers shown above were a marvel to behold. They were turning one onto that storage lot and had the road blocked so we had to backtrack around to the east and catch the main hwy.

JJ

RoadKill

1 Iron
We saw the crane that will be used to lift all of that krap in San Luis RC a few days ago. It had about thirty pairs of dual wheels on it and two additional huge trailers with smaller cranes and twenty or more multi-ton iron weights on them. I guess the blades are too long and heavy for a helo lift. Those 100' trailers shown above were a marvel to behold. They were turning one onto that storage lot and had the road blocked so we had to backtrack around to the east and catch the main hwy.

JJ
They actually choose the cranes over a helo as it's the safest method of lifting.
The design of the blades doesn't allow for any point loading or dragging across the ground. It usually takes 2 cranes to lift. The actual crane responsible for the lift, and one to "tail" the object until completely off the ground. The 2nd crane is much smaller, and it's only purpose is to prevent dragging or side loading of the main crane, or damage to the object being lifted.

Landshark

I still don't understand the point of spending millions of pesos on wind turbines when RP faces a severe water shortage. I don't recall hearing about a shortage of electricity. Makes more sense to fund a desalination plant to supplement the water supply and give the wells a chance to recover.

mis2810

From what I've heard the electricity generated by those wind turbines is not for Penasco. It's for smaller towns south of Penasco near Guaymas.

jerry

"Puerto Libertad solar project is located in the namesake city, in Mexico's Sonora state and calls for the construction and operation of a photovoltaic power plant. Carried out by Sonora Energy Group de Hermosillo (SEGH), the complex will feature 187,000 multicrystalline silicon panels that will allow SEGH to sell approximately 106GWh of clean energy each year to Mexico's national utility CFE. " they are cranking on this

Last February, Spanish company Acciona announced a bilateral PPA for a 112 MW extension of the Puerto Libertad solar project in Sonora that will deliver electricity to an industrial group. Including previous phases, the solar park will have combined capacity of 339 MW and will start operations in 2019.

“It will be the biggest photovoltaic plant in Mexico, from which we will generate electricity to cover already-committed public and private consumption”, said Acciona Energía Mexico director Miguel Ángel Alonso. Moreover, Acciona states that this is “the first (contract) of a private nature signed under the new Law on the Electric Power in Mexico.”

http://www.power-technology.com/news/newsacciona-jv-and-tuto-energy-trading-to-increase-mexicos-puerto-libertad-solar-capacity-to-339mwp-5734887

http://publications.lib.chalmers.se/records/fulltext/220203/220203.pdf the question is which idea wins out...conversion of the Libertad plant may in the long run not be worth it as solar and wind improve

Last edited:
The Gila Monsters are gonna love it!

If the desert floor would be left undisturbed, seems like every one of those projects requires a "bare earth" policy, same as the wind farms.

JJ

jerry

The Gila Monsters are gonna love it!

If the desert floor would be left undisturbed, seems like every one of those projects requires a "bare earth" policy, same as the wind farms.

JJ
Jim a few months ago a pr guy was asking about Liberty Cove...those lots may now be worth something