Winter is Coming - Coats and blankets Please

Roberto

It's that time of the year, the temperatures are nice but getting cool at night. Soon it will be COLD at night. There is the usual need for warm coats, sweaters, blankets. Check out your closet and ask yourself are you ever really going to wear that old winter coat again? Shoes, sneaks, socks, T shirts, long sleeve shirts whatever. How about the spouse's old coats. And those blankets you have stored in plastic bags are just taking up space you know. Canvass you relatives, they have stuff, I know they do !! Stop by you local Goodwill store and see what you can get for $10 or $20. A lot I bet. A couple of kids coats maybe more. Someone in Penasco will be gratefull to have these old,worn but useable items. If you don't want to mess with bulky cloth stuff, how about picking up a jumbo bag or 2 of dried beans or rice next time you are at the gorcery, or buy it here? People need to eat more to keep warm.

Just put the stuff in your vehicle next trip down. If you can't get down ask for some help with transport here on the forum. RP Times will take a donation and of course you can always drop it off at Twindolphins Real Estate Office, right on Fremont Blvd. next to Cruz Roja, open 7 days till 5PM at least. We are seeing an increase in the folks from several rehab organizations stopping by looking for donations.

Roberto

Ok, now it is officially cold at night. A blanket is needed to keep warm at night now and a coat during the day will be needed soon. Go through that closet, I know you have some stuff you will never wear again tha someone will welcome here.

Also don't forget to pick up a sack of beans or rice next visit.

Landshark

We lost my Dad a couple of months ago and are cleaning out his house. We have a bunch of clothes, and some jackets and blankets I would like to donate. There is a lot of really good stuff, probably 6 large black bags. Problem is I am not going to RP before Christmas and need this stuff to be gone asap. Can anyone haul some or all of it down for us. We are in Tempe. Thanks.

Roberto

I wish I could get up to pick the stuff up. Hopefully someone else will be coming down. The need is great here and I think it's a great solution to the belongings of a loved one.

joester

2 salty dawgs
I could possibly take a bag or 2, but we're really loaded down this trip for space and weight. where in Tempe are you?

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Landshark, whatever Joester can't take I'll come and get and keep it at my house till I or someone else goes down. Pm me your addy and we'll work it out.....

joester

2 salty dawgs
landshark, please pm me your address, time is getting close as we're packing now for an early departure tomorrow early.

There are many good ways to donate clothing, blankets, etc. I'm asked all the time what I recommend. I suggest DIF or John Fowler's Santa Claus Club. DIF because they address other issues that may be affecting a family and work with them to better their situation all around, and the Santa Claus Club because John does an excellent job of making sure he shares with the senior citizens at Casa Hogar, with DIF, etc.

Also, just a reminder that the Sonoran Resorts is once more doing a food drive for DIF.

This year, Uncommon Women has decided to forego their usual Christmas Party and help Latitude 31 throw a party, complete with turkey dinner for the children at Esperanza Para los Ninos and Amores de Penasco Children's Shelter. Mike Riggs, owner of Latitude 31 had already committed to doing so when he suffered a serious heart incident. He's working now, but will be having surgery soon, so Uncommon Women is helping out with the dinner. Turkeys are pretty expensive here, so if a couple find their way to us, that would be great news!

And of course, just a reminder that diapers in sizes 4 & 5 are always needed at Amores de Penasco.

I hope you are all healthy and happy, and that you spend your holiday in the company of loved ones. God bless you all and have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Roberto

If you love Penasco and will visit soon, open your heart (and maybe your wallet too, cash is always good!) get a warm and fuzzy feeling by helping out the needy here. OK, now we've badgered enough for now anyway ! We realize that you all have the hard part, get the stuff and bring it down. If it's a pain to get the stuff up there, buy some food here. You have good options for easy drop off points DIF office, Sonoran Resorts, RP Times, Rosies office, Seadweller, Amores de Penasco or 7 days a week 9-5 Twin Dolphins Office on Fremont. We all know how to get donations to the right place.

Roberto

It works ! Two lovely Tucsonites, Bud and Claire just dropped off several bags and boxes of new cloth and yard. Bud has been a lurker and that's how he found out about the need here. Being good hearted folks they cleaned out stuff that was still perfectly good but that they knew they would never use and brought it along on their stay here in Penasco. Thanks to Bud and Claire and Bud promised to sign on here as he has a question about using Skype here that I was not able to answer.

Rosie was kind enough to provide me with a map to the DIF office, which BTW is easy to find right on Sinaloa with good signage, so I'll drop by there later today. She suggests the office rather than the facility so the decision about best use can be made.

Follow in the footsteps of Bud and Claire this winter if you are coming down. You know you have lots of clothes and maybe sewing supplies as Clair had, that you will never use. Just throw it in a bag and put in in the empty suite case you use when you come down so you don't forget it. You won't have a problem at the border unless you have a truckload of stuff. If the clothes have been hanging around a long time and need laundering bring them anyway, I'll wash them myself.