YELLOW TAIL

I believe this is a Yellow Tail Tuna but not sure. I caught this off Plya De Oro RV Park in R.P. 75 yards off sore in about 15 ft of water from my 12 ft pontoon. About 9 lbs and what a fight on super light pole. It took about 15 min to get it in after pulling the pontoon around with ease. There have been several others brought in and several lost.
I have tried several times to add the pic but only get the failure message. I re-sized to 3 in

Hey Spinner.........

Two different fish.

Yellow Tail, a member of the Jack family, common around PP on rocky reefs in both deep and shallow water, prefer cool winter water temps.

Yellowfin Tuna, a true tuna, offshore from PP at least twenty miles out only in warm water during the summer months.

Yours was most likely a Yellow Tail. Delicious eating!

Last night we had Leopard Grouper filleted and cut into 1" x 1" x 4" strips beer battered and fried in organic Coconut oil. Heavenly! He was a ten pounder, got him on the troll along La Cholla.

JJ

audsley

I agree that the yellowtail amberjack can be pretty good to eat, but only if you remove all the red parts of the meat. It also helps to bleed a yellowtail immediately in the boat. In grilling the non-red portions I've found that lemon-herb Old Bay Seasoning works pretty well. Not a meal to die for , but pretty decent and certainly healthy.

A good recipe I like is , take fresh grated ginger, cracked black pepper and toasted sesame seeds put on a plate and mix together . Then roll filet in mixture and refrigerate for 30 min. Get cast iron skillet hot ,add peanut oil and wait a little after it starts making waves in oil. Sear yellow tail for 2 min. per side for a 1 inch thick filet . Serve over Jasmine rice with asparagus. Take some wasabi paste and mix with cream until it is to your liking,better to make a little hotter as the rice will mellow it out. Pour over rice and fish. Enjoy. One of my favorites. Leigh Ps, as said above no red on the filets.

SunDevil

+1 to bleeding out (just reach in a tear a gill) and trimming all red flesh off from the fillets. YT is firm enough that you can cook it on the grill without it falling apart. I marinate it in Italian salad dressing over night and cook on the grill. great fish tacos with avocado, tomato, sautéed sweet yellow onion and salsa verde.

It was great. Did as above except the gilling. Fileted removed the dark red and cut into 4 filets. Oiled and spiced then put on the BBQ in baskets