YouTube TV

Rhino

Well Known Member
Wondering if any of the group know if YouTube Tv works in Penasco and, if yes, anything special I need to do. Thanks

Rhino

Well Known Member
Thanks, Guys; what I'm referring to is YoutubeTV which gives you about 84 different channels including local AZ, cable news and sports channels.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Thanks, Guys; what I'm referring to is YoutubeTV which gives you about 84 different channels including local AZ, cable news and sports channels.
I wouldn't trust either of those answers. You're not going to be able to use your AMERICAN account in Mexico. Your use is based on IP address location. The only way to use your American Youtube account in Mexico is to A. Have wifi access OBV!! B. Use an VPN Virtual Private Network and re-route your IP address through USA while you're in Mexico. 100% correct and my final answer. You're welcome!

Last edited:

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
No offense to Rob or Russ. Rob doesn't strike me for someone that has a YouTube account. Russ may have one but he lives in Mexico. I don't think either of them understand the nuance of IP address location.

Try watching HBO in RP. Tell me what happens next... Same reason your Yahoo home page has a bunch of Mexican domestic news on it and it's in Spanish when you're in Rocky Point. Only way around IP location is VPN!!!! $5/month is all it takes... So the answer is yes, yes you can watch your YouTube TV after you pay the man $5/month for a VPN...

ernesto

Well Known Member
Netflix no problem. Prime streams international content only unless you use vpn. I believe the terminology prime uses is watch while abroad

brokenwave

Well Known Member
As Ernesto said, Netflix and Amazon prime video will only give you shows allowed in the region you are at, without using a VPN.
In Penasco, Hulu, HBO Max and others are a no show without a VPN.
Even with a VPN you can watch a few shows before they detect you are using a VPN and you need to change your
VPN location to resume watching shows, Netflix, Amazon, HBO etc. are on top of people using VPN's more these days
than a few years ago.
I can use my Dish Anywhere App to stream my Dish TV content without problems in Penasco, without using a VPN service.

richwi

Well Known Member
As Ernesto said, Netflix and Amazon prime video will only give you shows allowed in the region you are at, without using a VPN.
In Penasco, Hulu, HBO Max and others are a no show without a VPN.
Even with a VPN you can watch a few shows before they detect you are using a VPN and you need to change your
VPN location to resume watching shows, Netflix, Amazon, HBO etc. are on top of people using VPN's more these days
than a few years ago.
I can use my Dish Anywhere App to stream my Dish TV content without problems in Penasco, without using a VPN service.
Not to be argumentative, but Netflix and Amazon really aren't too good about detecting VPNs. I have been using mine for 2 years.

MIRAMAR

Well Known Member
We tried YouTube TV in Mexico, and it said not allowed, not in US. We need to get a US VPN husband says.

Rhino

Well Known Member
Thank you all for the responses; they really help. Next question is...how do I get a VPN for use in Mexico and will I be able to turn it off and on. Reason being...we like some of the Mexican netflix and prime movies while there.

Rhino

Well Known Member
I wouldn't trust either of those answers. You're not going to be able to use your AMERICAN account in Mexico. Your use is based on IP address location. The only way to use your American Youtube account in Mexico is to A. Have wifi access OBV!! B. Use an VPN Virtual Private Network and re-route your IP address through USA while you're in Mexico. 100% correct and my final answer. You're welcome!
Sounds right to me. There's a big difference between youtube and youtube tv.

richwi

Well Known Member
Thank you all for the responses; they really help. Next question is...how do I get a VPN for use in Mexico and will I be able to turn it off and on. Reason being...we like some of the Mexican netflix and prime movies while there.
VPN’s are a subscription service. We happen to use Surfshark because of the price and the fact you can use it on unlimited devices but there are many. You will download software onto the device you are using (we have it on our phones, computers and fire stick) and you can turn it on or off at will.

brokenwave

Well Known Member
What is OBV?
A VPN (paid service usually) is a virtual private network. It allows your IP address (your internet provider's ID for your network location
to be moved from your actual location to another country. For using US based streaming services ex. HBO Max in Mexico where
it's not available, using a VPN allows a person to show your IP address to be mimicked to show you're viewing from the US
when you are in actually Mexico. It usually works, but sometimes when streaming companies crack down on out of region viewing
a VPN will fail to allow that. It's a cat and mouse game.

Idyllwild

Well Known Member
Many VPNs fail in Mexico with Amazon Prime and HBO products. Netflix doesn’t seem to care, and I can get either Netflix Mexico (which has some US programming that they can’t carry in the US) or Netflix USA, which has some programming not available in Mexico. It’s a moving target, and nothing is certain.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
Many VPNs fail in Mexico with Amazon Prime and HBO products. Netflix doesn’t seem to care, and I can get either Netflix Mexico (which has some US programming that they can’t carry in the US) or Netflix USA, which has some programming not available in Mexico. It’s a moving target, and nothing is certain.
Yeah I gave up on VPN a few years ago. Start to watch a series and then the next time it kicks you off as it detects the VPN. I have Mexico Netflix

ernesto

Well Known Member
Did Direct TV ever let up and allow a US account in Mexico? When I installed mine years ago they wouldn't allow it.

playaperro

El Pirata
Did Direct TV ever let up and allow a US account in Mexico? When I installed mine years ago they wouldn't allow it.
Works great better if you have the stand alone boxes.
They don’t know where the boxes are so you just activate in the USA bring them down and have Memo set up dish and boxes and they don’t know anything about your system, have 3 in the USA and 2 in penasco, I kinda need a new dish since mine goes back to 07.