Zipline accident

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
Not sure if you heard, but a 60 year old man from Maricopa died from a fall on the zip line Saturday. Why it hasn't made the news up there is curious. FYI. Here is the article auto translated from the local online news agency.

Periódico De Frente

Man falls from the Choya zipline and dies, in fact that happened on Saturday
A man of American origin located in the neighboring state of Arizona who was a tourist died by falling inexplicably when he was riding the zipline located on the Choya hill, in lamentable events recorded last Saturday p or the afternoon.
The now occidental was identified as Carter W. A 60-year-old Jr. native of Oklahoma, United States, residing in Maricopa, Arizona, and his death was due to injuries sustained by falling from a line (cable) located in the final phase of the tour.
The police report indicates that on Saturday the 18th of this month at 14:58 pm a call was received to the emergency number 911 where a person was reported injured in the zipline area, which is located in La Loma de La Cholla, so stay tuned There were elements in a fire ambulance that moved them to a particular clinic where the doctor determined Carter W. Jr. had no vital signs anymore.
The 57-year-old wife named Holly said her husband, she and 3 children were walking on the zipline and that in line number four was first launched one of the guides and the next to launch was her husband and the last she reached to see was that her husband had fallen to the ground.
It is not the first accident to occur in that place, on July 16, 2017, a failure in the team's operating mechanism caused the fall of three people who were injured, two of them presented injuries that take more than 15 days to heal ace, but no risk death; due to this it was closed by Civil Protection; such structure was reopened to the public in early January 2018.

Last edited:

Queen of Kings

Well Known Member
I am sure zip lines in Mexico have the highest safety standards....
Third world countries always put safety before profit.
The people I see on the flying lawnmowers over Sandy beach truly are thrill seekers.

GringoZona

Well Known Member
I was going to post this incident the other day but didn't want to be stigmatized as being only negative posts about Penasco. 2017 was the last incident, 3 injuries but apparently no fatalities.

Any fatalities with wind surfing? Not asking sarcastically.

Idyllwild

Well Known Member
We were thinking about finally riding the zip lines. Then, several months ago, the owner of the zip lines introduced himself to two female members of my family. He had been drinking and was obnoxious. An offer of free passes was declined.

joanC

Well Known Member
Can anyone give me any contact info for the family of Carter W? I have access to first hand info regarding serious maintenance deficiencies on the zip line, which will be essential if they want to bring proceedings in Mx or US, or both. Private messages ok.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
I was going to post this incident the other day but didn't want to be stigmatized as being only negative posts about Penasco. 2017 was the last incident, 3 injuries but apparently no fatalities.

Any fatalities with wind surfing? Not asking sarcastically.
No worries, I gotcha covered on the whole stigmatized thing.....

Old55

Well Known Member
Had to laugh at the half assed safety protocols on this zip compared to the one I took in New Zealand….although half the fun of a rickety , clattering b grade amusement park ride is getting a gander of the guys that keep it running….in between biting the heads off chickens…

ernesto

Well Known Member
Anyone know WTF happened there? Why are there no details? Guessing you all won't be patronizing my bungee jump that I'm opening in 22.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
I was always curious how that guy got the rights to start that business using that land. We've seen him at Xochis multiple times early in the morning for breakfast. Kind of seemed like a DB to me but I guess I was biased from the start. Who could have seen that zip line being a liability?! I mean. Who wouldn't jump at the opportunity to pay money to fly up Competition Hill with an over the shoulder boulder holder suffocating life out of your future generations?! I always had more fun grabbing a FUCK TON of horsepower and going up Competition Hill on land...

JDM

Can anyone give me any contact info for the family of Carter W? I have access to first hand info regarding serious maintenance deficiencies on the zip line, which will be essential if they want to bring proceedings in Mx or US, or both. Private messages ok.
This person was one of my best friends, and I can pass information on to Holly.

Last edited:

Old55

Well Known Member
This person was one of my best friends, and I can pass information on to Holly. First of all, his name isn't Carter W. W is his middle name which is what most people called him. His last name starts with F.
So sorry this happened

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Can't read the article without creating an account. In regards to Med Evac. If you get injured in Mexico the HELO can't cross the border. So you need to get your ass to Lukeville IMMEDIATELY. The good thing I guess is you can go 90mph the entire way. If the HELO could fly to RP and then FLY your ass back to Phx direct I would be WALKING and playing GOLF today...

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Joe you sure do a great job playing the cards you were dealt…..massive respect
Yea, I get by. The last few years I've been leaning on my girlfriend pretty hard so she deserves the respect and credit. Starting to get a little tired mentally and physically almost 12 years in but I'm going to give it everything I have for as long as I can to keep exploring this playground called Earth. Almost finished with this year long project on my truck. Full race roll cage. Pretty labor intensive to say the least...

pamela w

Joan - I sent you a private message, I'm working with the Floyd family.