Banking Question

Roberto

I would like to communicate with anyone having information about any US banks having agreements with a Mexican bank. I want to keep a US bank but will be traveling in Mexico and need access to the $$ without monster charges and or access problems. Anyone have any experience?

GV Jack

Snorin God
Roberto. I use Bank of America up here and Santander down there. They are affiliated and do not charge for ATM withdrawls.

I dunno about other services, but you can ask them. I'd prefer you just stay there and forget about all that stuff.

mis2810

Roberto. I use Bank of America up here and Santander down there. They are affiliated and do not charge for ATM withdrawls.

I dunno about other services, but you can ask them. I'd prefer you just stay there and forget about all that stuff.
Ditto to GV. I use BofA and when in Mexico use Santander. The only problem is there aren't many Santander's. I usually find a lot more Banamex and Banorte branches and was thinking of trying to figure out which bank in the US they had a deal with. I know Banorte used to have a deal with Wells Fargo, but not anymore.

Roberto

Thanks for the info. Good point about number of Santander locations. I will be concerned about that Mexico wide.

This is only one of a host of issues I will need to deal with. One bit of Homeland BS is that you are required to provide a permanent address of residence for some things, a POBox is not acceptable. Guess I'll have to use someone elses !!

Kea

We opened a Banamex account in October. They are affiliated with CitiBank so we opened a CitiBank account in the US. The CitiBank account will allow us to transfer money online from CitiBank to Banamex. We just opened both accounts so I'm not an expert yet. (The goal is to be able to pay CFE and other bills without using a Bill Pay service.)

Also, just a reminder that the US and Mexico have signed a FACTA agreement saying they will share banking info with each other by Jan 2014. (No, I haven't read the agreement - I'm waiting for the "Cliff Notes" version :p )

FATCA News and Information

Roberto

What are the fees at Banamex? I have heard they charge to make a deposit and pay no interest on deposits.

The FATCA stuff is a disaster when it comes to bank trusts, as far as I can tell.

Terry C

With all the stuff that goes on with card theft, we have Chase and if we have a few debits on our card from down here they alert you fast to approve or decline the transaction by email, text or call.. I think a $ 70.00 US charge is like a $2.00 transaction fee.

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac
I would like to communicate with anyone having information about any US banks having agreements with a Mexican bank. I want to keep a US bank but will be traveling in Mexico and need access to the $$ without monster charges and or access problems. Anyone have any experience?
Roberto, we have a dollar account and a peso account at Banamex, which is part of Citibank, but the transfer fees are still expensive, if I need to send myself or Fabiola or anyone else in Mexico small amounts of money, within 10 or 15 minutes I use Xoom, never had a problem and they have over 15,000 pickup locations in Mexico. https://www.xoom.com/mexico. You pick where the money is sent for pickup anywhere internet is available. Somebody here on RPT commented on Xoom and I tried it, it works good for me.

Last edited:

Kea

What are the fees at Banamex? I have heard they charge to make a deposit and pay no interest on deposits.
I don't have my fee sheet with me, but there were 2 types of accounts - one had monthly fees and the other had fees for each check you wrote. I don't remember there being any fees for deposits at the bank - maybe for deposits through the ATMs? I didn't see any accounts that paid you interest on your balance. CitiBank paid interest on some of their accounts but that required a substantial minimum balance. I plan to just continue to use my regular credit union account and move money to Citi when needed to move money to Banamex. CitiBank told us there was no charge to move money to our Banamex account.

It's a convoluted way to do it, but I hope it will work for us while we still live in the US. If / When we move to Peñasco, we might set things up differently.

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac
Roberto, we have a dollar account and a peso account at Banamex, which is part of Citibank, but the transfer fees are still expensive, if I need to send myself or Fabiola or anyone else in Mexico small amounts of money, within 10 or 15 minutes I use Xoom, never had a problem and they have over 15,000 pickup locations in Mexico. https://www.xoom.com/mexico. You pick where the money is sent for pickup anywhere internet is available. Somebody here on RPT commented on Xoom and I tried it, it works good for me.
Roberto, at many of these 15,000 locations, they dont have bankers hours, you can get your money.for example at any Electra, Coppel or Soriana until 9pm.

Roberto

That might work for me. I'll just give you the money and you can send it to me as I need it !!

Roberto

Maybe you should give half of it to me Roberto,:veg: it's never a good idea to keep all your money in one place.:mrgreen:
Great idea !! Check is in the mail. Can you send me some cash now ?? The check is in the mail. I promise !!

The Man

Roberto.....

We use Wellsfargo and if you have a Mexican bank, you can set up with Wells by giving Wells your Mexican account number. Wellsfargo will then by told free in Mexico for $4.00 will wire up to 1500 bucks to a pecso account in Mexico a day.

I use Bancomer bank and to use their debut card I think its 60 pesos at the ATM.

After first transfer from Wells, you can do it on line, or free telephone call.

Log on to Wells site to transfer to Mexico, then we got this little code thing from Bancomer like PayPal to log on to Bancomer bank internet site. Very secure! When you log on, just click the English button and all your banking is in English.

Don't know about other banks, but WellsFargo and Bancomer works good together and ya can do everything sitting at home on your computer, and to use check transfers both ways!

I got my Bancomer account with just a rent recept and address on it about 3 or 4 years ago at RP.

And am sure there are many Bancomer banks around MEXICO. Sill can use its ATM card at any bank, I even use my Mexican bank debit card in the states.

That's all doc

the man

Last edited:
I use Bank of America and it is free. I just call them and make the transfer to one of the local bank in Mexico, then pick the money up with a conformation number they give me. I use this all the time to pay my workkers and it is free.

Rick Fraser
cholla Bay

Roberto

Thanks to all (except Kenny!). Lots of info to mull over. I omitted to mention that I will be on the road with no permanent address in Mexico. One of the things I have had to deal with here is not being able to get a spare debit card from Arizona National. I lost the card one time and it was a couple of months before I could get a replacement because the a**holes at the processing company kept sending it to the incorrect address. When traveling I won't have access to mail anyway. Son has agreed ot let me use his permanent address and I will put him on a bank account so I guess he could Zoom me money in an emergency. I'm also thinking about a preloaded debit card and maybe accounts at two different banks so I can have reliable acces in the event of loss of a card.

I get along with a simple Tel Cel phone for texting and calls here but may have to update to an i-phone or some such and a plan from Tel Mex that will give me calls and internet access across the country. I will get a laptop computer also and probably start a blog for fun.

Anyone have a fancy Tel Cell plan that would work good for a travelin man?

mis2810

Okay, Roberto, where are you planning on going? Just a "we'll figure it out as we go" type of trip? Sounds exciting!!! Details!