Banking Question

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac
That might work for me. I'll just give you the money and you can send it to me as I need it !!
Good Luck to you, Roberto and thanks for all your help. I saw you were headed to Kino first, you going to kiss up to Ana's land rich grandpa, while your there? Do you still have the land you sent Ana down to Kino to buy for you? Jajajaja

Miakko

We have a Telcel ZTE smartphone (pay as you go) and use the mobile hotspot feature on it to get internet access on our laptop wherever we are in Mexico. Works great.

Roberto

I saw you were headed to Kino first, you going to kiss up to Ana's land rich grandpa, while your there? Do you still have the land you sent Ana down to Kino to buy for you? Jajajaja

Goyo either did not get that land or more likely was screwed out of it by his abogado. Last I heard he was still going out in his panga for crab but did not have access to his fishing camp.

Maybe she did get it and not tell me !!?!?!?

Roberto

We have a Telcel ZTE smartphone (pay as you go) and use the mobile hotspot feature on it to get internet access on our laptop wherever we are in Mexico. Works great.
How does that work? You connect the phone to the computer? Assumedly you have to have a cell signal?

GV Jack

Snorin God
How does that work? You connect the phone to the computer? Assumedly you have to have a cell signal?
Yep...You definately need a cell signal. There is an app on the phone that is a hot spot. You start the app and then on the lap top go to the
internet connect site. Usually lower right of the task bar. Open it up and you should see the hot spot signal icon. Click on it and off you go.
It works just like picking up a wifi signal at Max's or elsewhere. The secret is the Telcel signal distribution. From what I've seen, it gets around
Mexico pretty well.

I think Miakko is talking about a Telcel Amigo cell phone on a pay as you go plan. One thing to watch is the effect on your data plan if you use
the hot spot. I'm sure the folks at Telcel will be glad to walk you through it. If they can help a total idiot like me, with no Spanish skills at all,
they certainly can help a learned gentleman like you.

Roberto

Okay, Roberto, where are you planning on going? Just a "we'll figure it out as we go" type of trip? Sounds exciting!!! Details!
Hopefully I will soon have my new home on wheels (with the able assistance of a friend and forum member). Everything I own will be in a 19 ft. van motorhome !! First will be a run thrugh the US, NM, Georgia, Pa., NY to visit my sons, maybe a couple of months depending if I get to Georgia for Spring Turkey season. I would like to be in NM on June 13 for feast day at Sandia Pueblo to eat and visit all my friends there and practice speaking Tiwa. Two sons want a trip to 74 Draw in the Gila where we camped next to the old sawmill for many years. Then I intend to meander down the west coast of Mexico, hoping to make it to Chiapis and Oaxaca. I will try to visit small communities and to avoid the tourist areas and may go inland depending. I'm trying to not make any firm plans but am doing some research on interesting areas. Thinking about locating hot springs to visit. Love to find some of the old pre 1900 Haciendas. If it was not such a hotbed of cartel activity I would go to Chihuahua to look for Pancho Villas campgrounds where he hid out for many years.

Roberto

Yep...You definately need a cell signal. There is an app on the phone that is a hot spot. You start the app and then on the lap top go to the
internet connect site. Usually lower right of the task bar. Open it up and you should see the hot spot signal icon. Click on it and off you go.
It works just like picking up a wifi signal at Max's or elsewhere. The secret is the Telcel signal distribution. From what I've seen, it gets around Mexico pretty well.

So basically the app turns the cell phone into a Wifi transmitter which signal you pick up on the Wifi enabled laptop?

GV Jack

Snorin God
BUT, that would only be good for Mexico. It might work in the US through AT & T, BUT, there would probably be horrendous
roaming charges. You might want two phones. One US and one Mex. Keep in mind though that there are many more wifi hotspots in the US.
A cup of coffee at Big Macs will get you free wifi every time. Sometimes if you park next to or as close as you can to a motel/hotel you can
get a signal, or if you have gonnies, just go into the lobby, sit down and turn on.

Roberto

I use Bank of America and it is free. I just call them and make the transfer to one of the local bank in Mexico, then pick the money up with a conformation number they give me. I use this all the time to pay my workkers and it is free.

Rick Fraser
cholla Bay
I am not understanding this. You tell B of A which bank to send it to or you can pick up the money at any bank in Mexico using the confirmation number from BofA ?

mis2810

I am not understanding this. You tell B of A which bank to send it to or you can pick up the money at any bank in Mexico using the confirmation number from BofA ?
Basically, yes. When I send money from my BofA account to Mexico, it's free. It's called Safe Send and I call BofA to make the transfer over the phone. But, you have to go into the bank the first time to set it up. That being said, I've never sent it to myself. BofA has a deal with Banorte and Banamex. The person on the receiving end has to show their identification and tell them the confirmation number of the transaction. So, if I sent money to my MIL, she is the recipient, I call her and give her the confirmation number and the amount of pesos for her to pick up, she goes to the bank, shows her ID and gives the confirmation number and they give her the money.

Call BofA and ask for the Safe Send department and ask them about sending money to yourself. I'll bet you can do it as long as you set it up for the money to be picked up by you, using your passport.

GV Jack

Snorin God
Basically, yes. When I send money from my BofA account to Mexico, it's free. It's called Safe Send and I call BofA to make the transfer over the phone. But, you have to go into the bank the first time to set it up. That being said, I've never sent it to myself. BofA has a deal with Banorte and Banamex. The person on the receiving end has to show their identification and tell them the confirmation number of the transaction. So, if I sent money to my MIL, she is the recipient, I call her and give her the confirmation number and the amount of pesos for her to pick up, she goes to the bank, shows her ID and gives the confirmation number and they give her the money.

Call BofA and ask for the Safe Send department and ask them about sending money to yourself. I'll bet you can do it as long as you set it up for the money to be picked up by you, using your passport.
Now that is an interesting concept. I knew you could do it with Santander, but not the other two. Very Interesting.

Roberto

Ok, the murk cleared some, but as far as you guys know BofA will send money to Santander, Banorte and Banamex. Can you order the transfer on the internet as well?

This process sounds like MoneyGram but for them you give them cash, not a withdrawl from an account, they send it where and to whom you specify and give you a confirmation number that the recipient uses to pick it up and of course they do charge for the transfer.

Roberto,
I sent my transfers up over the phone. They transfer the money in Pesos and you designate who you want to pick it up. No charge you just need a BofA account. If you google safe send it will list the banks by areas. I works great. Once it took 24 hours to get the money, no problem.

Rick
Cholla Bay

Kenny

Hopefully I will soon have my new home on wheels (with the able assistance of a friend and forum member). Everything I own will be in a 19 ft. van motorhome !! First will be a run thrugh the US, NM, Georgia, Pa., NY to visit my sons, maybe a couple of months depending if I get to Georgia for Spring Turkey season. I would like to be in NM on June 13 for feast day at Sandia Pueblo to eat and visit all my friends there and practice speaking Tiwa. Two sons want a trip to 74 Draw in the Gila where we camped next to the old sawmill for many years. Then I intend to meander down the west coast of Mexico, hoping to make it to Chiapis and Oaxaca. I will try to visit small communities and to avoid the tourist areas and may go inland depending. I'm trying to not make any firm plans but am doing some research on interesting areas. Thinking about locating hot springs to visit. Love to find some of the old pre 1900 Haciendas. If it was not such a hotbed of cartel activity I would go to Chihuahua to look for Pancho Villas campgrounds where he hid out for many years.
The Last feast I went to was at the Laguna Pueblo, September 2002. Janice was working at the Acoma Pueblo at their youth center at the time, and I was helping out with there substance abuse program, while getting donated food from the Brothers of the Good Shepard so that the kids could get some decent meals during the day.
June is nice time of year at the Green Reed Place, and not that far from where you lived. I've been meaning to go back to Albuquerque to give back a little of what I received there, so maybe I can meet you there.

mis2810

Ok, the murk cleared some, but as far as you guys know BofA will send money to Santander, Banorte and Banamex. Can you order the transfer on the internet as well?

This process sounds like MoneyGram but for them you give them cash, not a withdrawl from an account, they send it where and to whom you specify and give you a confirmation number that the recipient uses to pick it up and of course they do charge for the transfer.
They don't have a way to do it over the internet. With BofA Safe Send you have to call, thats the downside. Also, you have to go into the bank branch to set it up befire you can send money.

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac
Peso, today 12.81 the bank would probably give you the real exchange rate, Xoom was quoting 12.60. A little less and there is a $4.99 fee.