Cell Phone Coverage Question

rplarry

I know this has been discussed in prior posts, however I am curious if there have been any recent changes with Verizon being able to get quality reception (or any reception) in Rocky Point??

I have been with AT&T for years, primarily because it works so well in Rocky Point. However, I drop at least 5 calls per day in Phoenix and if it hasn't already, it will cost me business. Nothing like being on an important 3 way conference call and your call drops and then have to reconnect everyone. Not to mention how annoying it is when your call may not drop, but you hear the other person about every 4th word...

Anyway, I am ready to leave AT&T for Verizon. Everyone I have spoken with really likes their service. The Verizon store claims they have GSM reception in Mexico, etc , but I trust the "boots on the ground" a lot more than a salesperson at Verizon.

Thank you for your comments and suggestions.

AZ ROB

I use Verizon in Rocky Point but it does not work everywhere.. You can receive and send texts. but you can not send or receive picture messages.

jerry

larry i dumped att last month for Verizon and i did't think it possible but I hate them worse than ATT plus it doesn't work for shit in mexico to boot.
I know this has been discussed in prior posts, however I am curious if there have been any recent changes with Verizon being able to get quality reception (or any reception) in Rocky Point??

I have been with AT&T for years, primarily because it works so well in Rocky Point. However, I drop at least 5 calls per day in Phoenix and if it hasn't already, it will cost me business. Nothing like being on an important 3 way conference call and your call drops and then have to reconnect everyone. Not to mention how annoying it is when your call may not drop, but you hear the other person about every 4th word...

Anyway, I am ready to leave AT&T for Verizon. Everyone I have spoken with really likes their service. The Verizon store claims they have GSM reception in Mexico, etc , but I trust the "boots on the ground" a lot more than a salesperson at Verizon.

Thank you for your comments and suggestions.

I know several people with Verizon who have indicated that their phones work in Penasco.....but....I went on the Verizon web site, and the coverage map does not show Penasco, or most of northern Mexico. The local Mexican carriers, Telcel and Movistar, are both on GSM, while Verizon seems to still be CDMA. Even checking their dual band GSM or quad band GSM phones they offer, they don't show coverage for Mexico?????

I used to have Verizon years ago, and like their coverage in the US....but dropped them when they lost coverage in Mexico.

An alternate to those visiting Penasco regularly is to get a Telcel or Movistar phone.....mcch cheaper if you're calling within Mexico, and not any more expensive if you have to call back to the US, since you will get zapped with roaming charges to call home with a US phone.

I have a VERIZON Droid incredible. I bought the additional Mexico coverage for I believe ten bucks a month. Last time I was down in November, the phone didnt work a hoot. I stayed at the Bella Sirena. Could not make or receive calls. I did get a few calls to go through on the beach in front, but the calls were quickly dropped. Elsewhere in town was the same story. Could never complete a call. Text messages would not work either. By the way, Verizon only carries CDMA phones. They do NOT carry GSM phones. Thats an entirely different network.

In summary... My Verizon phone does NOT work in Rocky Point.

Last edited:
It's funny how some folks with Verizon claim the phone works in Rocky Point. Maybe it would be of help to post GPS coordinates of WHERE the phone is able to make or Receive a call. Or post what type of phone you are using. I would believe that the older phones with the retractable antennas would get a stronger signal. Mine, again I have Droid Incredible does not get a signal very well. Forget about making calls from the Bella Sirena, Mannys (RIP), The Friendly Dolphin, Dunas, the taco stand on Calle 13, or in the parking lot at Guau Guau.

Also being with Verizon and on the CDMA network, you cant just walk into a Telcel and Movistar store and simply remove your simcard and put a new Telcel simcard in and have a perfectly working phone. With ATT, you are on the GSM network and CAN do that.

Last edited:
I have a VERIZON Droid incredible. I bought the additional Mexico coverage for I believe ten bucks a month. Last time I was down in November, the phone didnt work a hoot. I stayed at the Bella Sirena. Could not make or receive calls. I did get a few calls to go through on the beach in front, but the calls were quickly dropped. Elsewhere in town was the same story. Could never complete a call. Text messages would not work either. By the way, Verizon only carries CDMA phones. They do NOT carry GSM phones. Thats an entirely different network.

In summary... My Verizon phone does NOT work in Rocky Point.
Check their website...they carry what they call their "world" phones....which they claim are GSM

TEG

Verizon World phones will work in Rocky Point but in a very small range. The world phones are dual band GSM & CDMA. Verizon peers with Movistar to carry the traffic. Like, I said, it is spotty at best. I use a Blackberry Storm on Verizon and I have the Nationwide + Mexico plan. So, it doesn't matter if I am in Mexico or the US for both voice and data. It just subtracts from my minute bank.

I get good coverage from Las Palomas into the Old Port. I do not get coverage over at Capones and I slowly lose it moving down Sandy Beach until it disappears before reaching the Reef.

marisol

Check with AT&T about their Viva Mexico plan. That is what we have and it works great! Not many dropped calls and it seems to work well all over R.P. It costs only about $5-6 more on my plan. The only difference is that when you call other At&T numbers, you are charged minutes but not any more $. I can use the phone in the states as well as here. It's really nice when you cross the border, it automatically changes to TelCel. No extra roaming charges, etc. It's worth a try before you change to Verizon.

jerry

With viva mexico more than half your monthly minutes have to be stateside or the fine print hits you with a rabbit punch to the wallet
Check with AT&T about their Viva Mexico plan. That is what we have and it works great! Not many dropped calls and it seems to work well all over R.P. It costs only about $5-6 more on my plan. The only difference is that when you call other At&T numbers, you are charged minutes but not any more $. I can use the phone in the states as well as here. It's really nice when you cross the border, it automatically changes to TelCel. No extra roaming charges, etc. It's worth a try before you change to Verizon.

Landshark

I have T-Mobile. It works good in town and works on the east beaches as well. The downside is $1.50 a minute and $.35 per text. Needless to say I don't make many calls.

TEG

Verizon World phones will work in Rocky Point but in a very small range. The world phones are dual band GSM & CDMA. Verizon peers with Movistar to carry the traffic. Like, I said, it is spotty at best. I use a Blackberry Storm on Verizon and I have the Nationwide + Mexico plan. So, it doesn't matter if I am in Mexico or the US for both voice and data. It just subtracts from my minute bank.

I get good coverage from Las Palomas into the Old Port. I do not get coverage over at Capones and I slowly lose it moving down Sandy Beach until it disappears before reaching the Reef.​

sir, your information is a little spotty at best. True, Verizon phones will work is Mexico
But you are still on the Verizon CDMA system. I think you are using the term "WORLD PHONE" incorrectly as you could use ANY Verizon phone in Mexico. However, as you pointed out coverage is spotty at best. I assume I have the same plan as you. When we are in Mexico, we are roaming.

Again Verizons technology, as of today exists solely on the decades old CDMA network (circa 1990's). We have Smartphones not worldphones. As we do Not have a SIM card. One thing others might be aware is that since our phones (your crackberry, my HTC Android and the Iphone) are constantly updating with the network. So if you are NOT on the Mexico plan and you do go to Mexico and leave your phone on, you CAN BE CHARGED for data. Which can be very expensive if you have lots of apps that require constant updates.

Like someone pointed out better to get online and use Skype or something similar.

In addition, the link provided above says nothing about the alleged Verizon GSM phone someone mentioned. It is a link for a coverage map. It fact, it specifically states Verizon's technology is based on the CDMA network.

The map is a simple roaming map. It obviously would differ from the coverage map from let's say Movietel or Comcel or whatever.

In summary:
Verizon is on the CDMA network. Period.
Best bet is probably Skpye.
Or get a ATT GSM phone with a SIM card and then go to Comcel in Mexico and buy one of their cards.

" [SIZE=-2]This map reflects a depiction of approximate wireless coverage and does not guarantee service. Many factors, including customer's equipment, terrain, proximity to buildings, foliage and weather, may impact service. Coverage depicted is based on 3rd party network information and Verizon Wireless cannot ensure its accuracy. Above maps are not to be reproduced without written consent from Verizon Wireless." Source :http://b2b.vzw.com/international/Roaming/North_America/Mexico.html'

[/SIZE]

Last edited:
sir, your information is a little spotty at best. True, Verizon phones will work is Mexico
But you are still on the Verizon CDMA system. I think you are using the term "WORLD PHONE" incorrectly as you could use ANY Verizon phone in Mexico. However, as you pointed out coverage is spotty at best. I assume I have the same plan as you. When we are in Mexico, we are roaming.

Again Verizons technology, as of today exists solely on the decades old CDMA network (circa 1990's). We have Smartphones not worldphones. As we do Not have a SIM card. One thing others might be aware is that since our phones (your crackberry, my HTC Android and the Iphone) are constantly updating with the network. So if you are NOT on the Mexico plan and you do go to Mexico and leave your phone on, you CAN BE CHARGED for data. Which can be very expensive if you have lots of apps that require constant updates.

Like someone pointed out better to get online and use Skype or something similar.

In addition, the link provided above says nothing about the alleged Verizon GSM phone someone mentioned. It is a link for a coverage map. It fact, it specifically states Verizon's technology is based on the CDMA network.

The map is a simple roaming map. It obviously would differ from the coverage map from let's say Movietel or Comcel or whatever.

In summary:
Verizon is on the CDMA network. Period.
Best bet is probably Skpye.
Or get a ATT GSM phone with a SIM card and then go to Comcel in Mexico and buy one of their cards.

" [SIZE=-2]This map reflects a depiction of approximate wireless coverage and does not guarantee service. Many factors, including customer's equipment, terrain, proximity to buildings, foliage and weather, may impact service. Coverage depicted is based on 3rd party network information and Verizon Wireless cannot ensure its accuracy. Above maps are not to be reproduced without written consent from Verizon Wireless." Source :http://b2b.vzw.com/international/Roaming/North_America/Mexico.html'[/SIZE]
More links from the Verizon site....

http://b2b.vzw.com/international/Global_Phone/index.html
http://b2b.vzw.com/international/Global_Phone/plans_coverage.html

So I used the wrong term....instead of "World" phone, should have been "Global" Phone....my "ass"umption is that it is a dual CDMA/GSM phone.....have no idea if they will work in Mexico....but based on the map, I would venture not! There used to be a couple of carriers in the Penasco area that were CDMA....but that was at least 6-8 years ago!

I don't know why people have difficulty finding/searching on the Verizon site????

Last edited:
Verizon does in fact have blackberry phones that will take a gsm sim card but I never had good luck with verizon in Rocky Point. I have found that the best choice is the telcel amigo which you have to top up every couple of months but you can do that by puchasing a refill in Rocky Point or by using a service like babblebug on line before you go. This will give you good coverage all over town and you can easily be reached from the states if someone needs to get in touch with you or you need to get in touch with them.