Cell Phone Coverage Question

rplarry

larry i dumped att last month for Verizon and i did't think it possible but I hate them worse than ATT plus it doesn't work for shit in mexico to boot.
Wow, that's hard to believe. Hard to imagine it can be worse than AT&T with how many dropped calls I get in PHX, but definitely take your word for it. Most folks I have talked to living in the Valley are happy with their Verizon coverage and most folks I know who have AT&T, primarily because they have iPhones, cannot stand their coverage.

Thanks for the information Jerry. Definitely will take that into consideration!

rplarry

Much thanks to everyone who has provided input.

It sounds like Verizon is definitely not the ticket for Rocky Point at this point. In the meantime, it seems like I need to either continue suffering through the AT&T woes in PHX while enjoying great coverage in RP, or switch from AT&T and just get a 'throw away' phone with a Mexican carrier.

Thanks again to all.

Jeff

I have a Movistar pay as you go phone.....$1.20 for up to 20 minutes to call the states. Text are the same as Telcel. Cost me $30 for the phone. I recharge it each time I am down there. I have a Droid X here in the states that I just put on airplane mode at the border and the internet access is usually from bars in RP offering free Wi-Fi.....Just ask them for their password.

Rocky Point Rides

Relax.....we're driving!!
I started with Verizon 2 years ago, nothing, not even under the antenna in Penasco, 2 days later went to ATT, I have coverage all the way from Tucson to Mayan Palace and in between, there are 3 main places that the service gets lost in the straight away in San Simon High school in the Tohono O'Odaham Nation (SR 86) for about 3 miles, weird such an open range in that section!!, then after I turn south on SR 85 close to the wayside table to Ajo mountains thru the entrance of the Organ Pipe National Monument, the service is spotty and goes back and force between ATT, Movistar and Telcel but unless you stop in any of those spots you will loose the connection the only other spot I have bad connection is in the Caborca highway for about 4 miles after I leave the Mayan Palace entrance towards Penasco, other than those I have no problems anywhere even behind Pelican Hill in Choya Bay.
I have the Viva Mexico plan and when in Mexico calling USA I only use the minutes in my account.even if I am calling Canada the only extra charges are text, I do not text therefore I do not have the unlimited texting which is free anywhere, I believe it is worldwide, I've decided not to text while driving, it is not healthy!!

InkaRoads

cronopiador
Laptop Magic Jack
Playa, did you do anything special to be able to hear the voice message in your laptop? everytime I try to listen to the message all I hear is a noise as if you are fast forwarding a cassette with the play button on, however I am able to hear them very good with the desktop!

playaperro

El Pirata
Ed you might need to download a fix, its on there. Mine works perfect. I tell people I'm on the beach, and they tell me when are you going stop bullshiting. It works
good down there so I know its not the speed of the dsl in penasco. I can email u my #. Tu sabes estos Guays son Rockyleaks.....

InkaRoads

cronopiador
Ed you might need to download a fix, its on there. Mine works perfect. I tell people I'm on the beach, and they tell me when are you going stop bullshiting. It works
good down there so I know its not the speed of the dsl in penasco. I can email u my #. Tu sabes estos Guays son Rockyleaks.....
Playa, did you find the fix in the MagicJack website? I would love to know how you get it to work, thanks
Roberto, I have your magik box but your works just fine!! I'll see you later today, ta ta.

playaperro

El Pirata
Playa, did you find the fix in the MagicJack website? I would love to know how you get it to work, thanks
Roberto, I have your magik box but your works just fine!! I'll see you later today, ta ta.
Ed' you start by pluging in the magic jack. let it load up, bueno entonces, click on menu, scroll down to magic jack fix, click on that, bueno that don't work go to chat
and report your magic jack it might take 2 or 3 days but they will fix it. Pasa un gran dia amigo!

InkaRoads

cronopiador
Ed' you start by pluging in the magic jack. let it load up, bueno entonces, click on menu, scroll down to magic jack fix, click on that, bueno that don't work go to chat
and report your magic jack it might take 2 or 3 days but they will fix it. Pasa un gran dia amigo!
Thanks Playa, I will try that in my next trip

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Much thanks to everyone who has provided input.

It sounds like Verizon is definitely not the ticket for Rocky Point at this point. In the meantime, it seems like I need to either continue suffering through the AT&T woes in PHX while enjoying great coverage in RP, or switch from AT&T and just get a 'throw away' phone with a Mexican carrier.

Thanks again to all.
RpLarry, I dont know about all the trouble everyone else is having but I disagree and I have a pretty good testimonial to the fact that verizon works just fine. May 30th, 2010 I was injured riding my dirtbike in rocky point, specifically +-200 yards from the cholla bay police station. It was a serious spinal cord injury and I had two phones in my pocket of my riding pants. One was my moto droid and the other was my LG telcel prepay mexico phone. I already know that both phones work well in Rocky Point and yes it is true that data can cost, but that moto droid worked just fine that morning and allowed me to be on a heli 2 hours later to phoenix. Every time I go I always put a $10 prepay card on my telcel but if need be I usually just use my verizon phone(driod 2). The only exception and the reason why I still like to have minutes on my telcel is the 50+ miles of open road between Sonoyta and RP, the telcel gets coverage the whole way. I disagree with the poor reception claim, however I can't attest to the cost of any of this, I dont pay... jeje

T

Tomcat

Another thing a person might think about is a external antenna's I have a older Nokia GSM sim card cell phone that has a little rubber plug on top of it. There was just one service in the remote area I was needed it to work and a cheap $10 magnetic base from Radio Shack took me from one bar going on and off to 4 solid bars. The problem is most newer cell phones don't have the plug for external antenna's !!!

I have seen those older nokia's on ebay unlocked dual band for cheap..... Just another option if your on the fringe of service..... If you have more questions Just post or PM me and I try to help you out !

Mexico Joe....I don't have Verizon now....so can't attest to the current coverage....but I did have it several years ago.....one time down I had coverage....the next trip down I did not....sometimes the phone would show a couple bars, but I could not dial out....you were roaming with local CDMA companies...who seemed to change avery few months.....

With a GSM based phone...you'll have the same coverage that you would with Telcel or Movistar....even on the road down....you'll just be paying the roaming charge! The only advantage is coverage in the US....Verizon has better coverage even down to the border. I sometimes show Telcel/Movistar on the phone down at the entrance to Organ Pipe campground.....instead of AT&T....the same at the border after I've crossed.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Yea, I understand. My telcel phone starts to pick up Mexicos network about five miles out also in the organ pipe. I was just saying that really in the last year or so I havent really used my telcel phone that much because my verizon phone works fine. Ive even used the google sky app at night to look at all the stars and it uses gps location so that has to go against my data roaming. Like I said I dont pay for my phone its on my parents family plan. I know if I was using a ton of money when I use the phone in mexico my parents would slap me and that hasnt been the case so it cant be too expensive. LIke I said I dont pay so I dont know but I do know the phone works and has worked for about a year or so now.