Holy freakin' cow

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
If you are over the limit on beer or liquor coming back can't you just pay the duty and go? I know they don't give that to you as an option they just confiscate the excess amount but it seems to me you should be able to pay the duty and keep it.
Most everybody here has it wrong. At many border crossings, you CAN pay the duty on any excess liquor/tobacco products and go on your merry way. Lukeville (Arizona in general, if not mistaken) has no facility or authority to collect duties -- you get two options -- throw it away, or they let you go. Just depends on the mood of the ICE guy that day. They normally don't even bother if you are simply a bottle or two over limit. This came directly from a discussion with a Customs guy when I asked if I could simply pay duty on overage of any items.

mis2810

If it's a Pima county law it would seem to be very discriminatory. Do they limit the amount of liquor you can buy in a store as well? I really don't see any distinction. In most cases the liquor I purchase in Mexico costs more than what I would pay for it at Costco or other places so it's not like I would be harming local merchants in any way. I'm surprised Pima County doesn't have road blocks set up at the county line to inspect vehicles to see how much liquor people have in vehicles. Just another overreach by a governmental agency.
I'm just repeating what they told me. I'm sure they make it up as they go along anyway.

I actually called the Star
Most everybody here has it wrong. At many border crossings, you CAN pay the duty on any excess liquor/tobacco products and go on your merry way. Lukeville (Arizona in general, if not mistaken) has no facility or authority to collect duties -- you get two options -- throw it away, or they let you go. Just depends on the mood of the ICE guy that day. They normally don't even bother if you are simply a bottle or two over limit. This came directly from a discussion with a Customs guy when I asked if I could simply pay duty on overage of any items.
the time I got stopped for limes, there were only two of us (legal drinkers) in the car. Between the beer in the cooler and the excess tequila... we were well over the limit. They never said a word. In fact, the old lady that confiscated the limes (had to have been at least 65) she could have cared less.....but she was just doing her job.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
We were asked at interior checkpoint how much alcohol we brought back.
The interior checkpoints are in fact BORDER PATROL and they have absolutely NO AUTHORITY to enforce Customs regulations (other than illegal drugs). Once you're over the border, you could have an 18 wheeler semi-truck of booze and Border Patrol cannot do a damned thing about it. Know your rights, people. You don't have to be a jerk about it, but KNOW YOUR RIGHTS and refuse to be intimidated! It's perfectly legal to possess unopened alcohol in your vehicle and nothing spells out how much or how little you may have in your possession within the United States.

My kid wanted bring back fireworks once. He said "I can just put them in my pillow case and lay on it thru the boarder".
NO EFFING WAY!!!!!!!!!!! It would be the one time I get pulled for inspection and they find them.
He almost was gonna do it without saying anything :mad: Little Criminal. ;)

DeniseAck

Oh. My. God. !!!!! You guys are too funny! Between "whale" beers, shit fish, and "We Are the Millers" this might be my favorite thread yet!

PS--Todd--our kids are delinquents, too ;)

My kid wanted bring back fireworks once. He said "I can just put them in my pillow case and lay on it thru the boarder".
NO EFFING WAY!!!!!!!!!!! It would be the one time I get pulled for inspection and they find them.
He almost was gonna do it without saying anything :mad: Little Criminal. ;)
All these years and you told your kids no fire works and when you get home and for some reason your kids have fireworks and they say I don't know where they came from, I guess we all created a smuggler without intent the life cycle continues.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Yeah but just be perepared for 'The Hassle Factor" which can be as bad as an actual charge.
The "Hassle Factor" is real, which is why I said don't be a jerk about it. Being a jerk simply begets creating a jerk response. My typical response to "How much alcohol do you have?" by Border Patrol would be "An unopened bottle of tequila, which I declared at the border." End of story. Whether I had one, two or ten. Nothing they can do about it, it's simply a question they use to judge your reaction to see if you have anything to hide.

The last time through Mexicali I got sent to secondary in the Sentri lane because my dog didn't like the BP dog looking at him. After sitting in secondary for 20 minutes and officer approached me and asked if I needed immediate medical attention, which I replied am I going to need it? Then they said my plates didn't match my vehicle. 20 minutes later they came and searched my truck and sent me on my way. The time before that they brought us inside and then after a while told us that they had misplaced our passports. We were then feeling illegal. They found them and sent us on our way.

mis2810

The last time through Mexicali I got sent to secondary in the Sentri lane because my dog didn't like the BP dog looking at him. After sitting in secondary for 20 minutes and officer approached me and asked if I needed immediate medical attention, which I replied am I going to need it? Then they said my plates didn't match my vehicle. 20 minutes later they came and searched my truck and sent me on my way. The time before that they brought us inside and then after a while told us that they had misplaced our passports. We were then feeling illegal. They found them and sent us on our way.
That is such made up bullshit just to annoy you.

tmotsinger

Eating Newbie Gringo Taco
Keen listeros may recall me posting 18 months ago about my truck getting taken apart at the border after Circus Mexicus, CBP radioing Pima County Sheriff deputies about empty beer bottles in the back, and me consequently being arrested for violating Arizona's open container law. Be very diligent, people.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk