Inflatable Boats for close-to-shore fishing??

don

My next inflatable was a 14 foot Achilles. Once again, like the 10 foot Avon, a well made hypalon boat. Took that boat to San Carlos for fishing trip. Along for the ride was a very good friend (grew up in AK, fishing in the ocean with natives, spent years in the navy, lived in Texas, fished in the gulf most every weekend). Unfortunately went out in a friends poorly maintained wooden boat. Ocean got rough, boat broke apart, only several useless life jackets aboard. Result, two friends and brother drowned. My buddy spent the night clinging to an ice chest. Following day an oyster fisherman saw something floating, motored over and saw buddy. He would not release death grip on ice chest and oyster-man hoisted him aboard with a crane.

My buddy swore he would never set foot in a wooden boat or inflatable-ever.

Took him to San Carlos. First day ocean was nasty. 8 foot white-capping swells, all large fishing boats coming back to dock. Took buddy out in inflatable after he watched me running swells with a 40 hp outboard. Had a ball! Buddy tried inflatable and had a fantastic time. Even purposely ran boat bow first into and through tops of breakers to douse another "resting" buddy in bow. Incredible safe boats, self bailing, the things float like a bobber. My buddy bought that boat, after I purchased another Nissan 13 footer.

Staying close to shore? Yeah your correct, if we have two boats out usually we'll stay within 8 miles of shore (distance for catching dorado in SC). Only one boat out- usually we'll stay within 5 miles of shore. However, We carry safety gear, including 5 watt submersible marine radios, and inform shore folks about our trip and expected return time.

What about punctures? Gene Kira in "The Baja Catch" tells of catching a sword fish in an inflatable. The sword hit a tube, and since they are low pressure, it was a simple ride to shore with a hand over the puncture. Hypalon is relatively easy to patch. Most inflatables have multiple tubes and each has their own chamber, so if one should get a puncture, it's not catastrophic.

Sea Eagles- Several years ago we watched 3 guys attempt to launch one (12 foot) in 3 foot breakers. They had a small electric motor and small battery. The first time they attempted, the surf folded the boat in half lengthwise and pushed it sideways. The second time they attempted to force the boat through the breaker. The boat buckled in half and the small battery (motorcycle size) was catapulted onto the shore. They had the battery in the bow. The finally got the boat through the breakers, and they had to use oar power. Sea Eagles can be fine if you want to stay in protected areas or you have a flat ocean. Same with electrics, only reliable with a calm ocean. Go with a gas engine that can supply power or speed when needed. And, there will be times when you need it, if you plan on serious fishing.100_0880.jpg

Last edited:

don

RIB's provide a great ride, but like you said, the portability becomes an issue, and, you'll need a boat trailer... Then comes the problem with launching/recovering in rough water. Our inflatables we simply ride the breaker onto the beach, and if our timing is right, it's easy, but if your timing is off a little, well you might get a little wet. After one's first time recovering in breakers, then the second time is easier-Kenny?

Inflatables provide a great deal of fun because like you, all of us (family, friends) can be on the same boat (and help when needed for large fish). We've had a lot of great trips together. And we still do, planning on heading down next month.
Don

Last edited:

don

Yeah, you're correct, RIB's are BA boats. But, these need a boat trailer and launching vehicle-so you're limited on where you can launch, and you have the same problem with recovering in bad surf. Plus, they're expensive, but they're gorgeous!

For our inflatables we'll run a minimum of 8 hp, to 40 hp (play time, these things will hit almost 60 mph with a 40hp-max hp rating). If we have a distance to travel before we hit fishing grounds, or expecting wind, we'll hang a 25 off the stern, a bit more economical than a 40.

Don,

Thank you very much for the great information... I really appreciate the time you took to share your experiences and knowledge on these boats. The result... I'm going for it. I found a relatively new 13' Achilles with a 25 hp Yami outboard that the seller is holding for me until I get up to Phoenix on Monday. The Sea Eagle's, although less pricey, did look a whole lot less robust and I've been reading up on the huge difference between pvc and hypalon - thanks for validating what I found.

Here are some pictures of what I think I'm going to buy on Monday... what do you think? (It's hard to say from pictures, but it looks in great condition). Anything in particular I should check for?

Achilles007.jpgPICT1145.jpgAchilles014.jpgAchilles019.jpg086.jpg

Thanks again! We can't wait ... a great new adventure.

P.S. My wife read your posts, too, and insists on brand new life jacket and the radios if we're going to do this. What brand radios do you have?

don

Beautiful rig! I'm envious!!! With a craft in that kind of condition, it would be really hard to kick the tires, so to speak! But, for the sake of others, there are a number of things I would check.

Before I forget-create a bill of sale; and have it notarized-just like buying a car! ALSO important, on the BoS, add a notation, signed by the seller if the boat has ever been registered IN any state. If it has, have them add the registration numbers, and get the supporting documentation if they have it. If, they cannot locate the paperwork, don't fret too much-just make they give you some info, registration numbers or state is registered in... After the purchase, register it with the game and fish, even if you never plan on putting this boat on any Arizona or other state lakes. The reason for the bill of sale and the registration info, is it will save you time registering the boat with the game and fish. This BoS will save time for them and you while searching AZ and other states data bases for a stolen watercraft. Trust me, I'm sure this boat is fine, but having that with you will make things go smooth.

THE REASON FOR THIS IS HUGE!

When in Mexico, you will be asked at some time so show documentation that you own this boat-it's no different than Stu's 36 footer. If you don't have paperwork, kiss your boat goodbye. They will seize it, and the engine. When I travel in Mexico I keep the ownership copy from the Game and Fish in my personal paperwork (and have spare copies in the vehicle). They don't seem to mind the date on the document (mine was 4 years old when I was checked), but just having the document with my name showing ownership was sufficient.

Ok, info on purchasing an inflatable.

First, check the year, just because it may be a zodiac, or Avon, Achilles, or whatever does not mean you can still purchase spare inflation valves. Make sure they are available. This is not an issue with this boat! Obviously I referring to boats that may be 20 or more years old. I've come across boats in great condition-but the valves leaked, and it would have been expensive to have new valves replaced professionally.

Second, find out if the owner used a low pressure gauge to check pressure. If he does, great, get the gauge! If not-most don't oh well, no need to purchase a gauge. If you can, procure his pump, or whatever he used to inflate the boat.

Third, checking tubes.
Inflatable boats are comprised of multiple chambers. Even on a new boat, one can rupture these chambers if not paying attention to the inflation procedure, and or, with a low chamber and the boat sitting out in the hot sun (PP) a chamber can rupture. Easy to avoid however. Basically, you should inflate each chamber partially before bringing them up to full pressure. This will prevent an internal chamber rupture. If you come across a boat that has an internal rupture, they can be repaired professionally-but it is expensive, and you'll have to ship the boat off, easily over 150 dollars each way. I've checked.

To check for a ruptured chamber, start with a deflated boat. If the boat has 4 chambers, inflate the stern chamber about 3/4 full (you can tell). The rising chamber will obviously raise the tube of the adjoining chamber. Let the boat sit for a short while-15 minutes. If you have an internal rupture you'll be able to tell if the inflated chamber has leaked down, or of course if second chamber is inflating at the same time. After checking the stern tubes, deflate them, and repeat for only one of the front tubes-you could have a rupture between the front tubes. Internal tube ruptures are uncommon, but it happens because some folks were not taught the correct procedure, or perhaps the boat had a poor seam. My boats are over 25 years old, and they are still in great condition, so age does not play a part.

Alright, tubes are good, no internal leaks, then inflate all chambers (remember if you're using a hand pump, foot pump or electrical pump) either count strokes, or time the amount of inflation. Remember, timing is the only way for electrical pumps, and can work for foot/hand pumps, but as you get tired with hand/foot pumps you'll start strong, but slowing as you get to then end. Just use common sense.

K, so boat fully inflated-check each valve for leaks with a soapy water solution (dish detergent and water). If a valve slowly bubbles, check to see if the valve can be hand tightened. If the bubbles are coming from within air inlet, make sure the valve is completely closed. There is a small riser within the valve you turn by your finger-push down and turn to open/close the valve. If you still see bubbles, the valve may simply need a cleaning (remove valve-it unscrews) and clean in warm soapy water, dirt and sand love to hide behind the rubber cap. For older boats here is where its important to verify you can procure new / replacement valves, if the valve is busticated! Walk away from this boat until you can verify new valve replacement costs-before purchasing the boat.

Ok, how can one tell when the tubes are inflated properly? I was shown by a CO river guide, that they check tube tightness by pushing on the tube and it should require a fair amount of effort to push in on the tube. Basically an 8 year old could not push and hold a depression in the tube, if that helps...

Next take your squirt bottle solution and wet each tube and look for bubbles, especially the seams. Take your time. The bubbles may be extremely small, look around the entire tube, inside, top, outside bottom. If you have bubbles, then you have a point to knock the price down. External repairs are easy, just a little time and materials. "You will need a repair kit, we can talk about that later.

Look at the floor of the boat, usually a huge wear area for dive boats. These can be replaced professionally.

Deflate the boat, have the owner show you how to remove floor boards and check the keel tube / valve for leaks with the soapy water solution.

Have the owner show you easiest way to install the floor boards-it will save you time later. Practice with him present.

Obviously check condition of floor boards, esp underside where they could be dry rot. Look at the inside floor for damage.

On an older boat, we'll inflate the boat somewhat, lay the boat on a concrete floor, add several inches of water in the boat to check for unseen holes in the floor. After the water is added and the boat sits for a short while, empty the water and look for wet spots on concrete. Just checking for holes in the floor.

Make sure you have the drain plug and eventually get a spare...

If the boat has a self bailing scupper valve in the wooden stern, make sure the valve works properly, check the condition of the ball, the plastic housing for cracks, etcs. Most of these can be replaced.

Last edited:

don

Obviously you'll also be looking dry rot in the stern wood, especially where the hypalon is glued to the wood. The wood finish can be re coated if needed, just make sure you use marine materials. Older boats here!

Before I purchase a boat, make sure the registration plate is attached, once again an older boat-will make it easy to register with the game and fish.

For the engine, obviously run the engine, and find out when the water pump impeller has been changed. Running an outboard in the ocean, especially in the beach area, the pump, impeller, jackets and outlet easily get plugged with sand and salt. Tip time: I keep a snelled hook (with only the hook shank attached to the snell) on the engine to clean salt/sand from the outlet nozzle.

Lastly, verify the release mechanisms are intact and working on the engine-seems silly, but when your running in an ugly ocean and you head for the beach, your engine will probably hit the sandy bottom in the bottom of a swell.

Get the owners spare prop and any extra tanks, especially plastic ones, and spare gas hand bulbs, owners manual.

Some inflatable also have lights, launching wheels (better than nothing), pumps, engine oil, bimini tops-remember that stuff as you load your boat.

For my radios, we have 3- ICOM M72's (one for shore, one between boats). At the time I purchased these, these were the ones the Coastie rescue jumpers used for ocean rescues. And yes, you can hear them underwater. Remember, get a cigarette lighter charger and, make sure the radio has an on off rotating knob instead of a button. The reason for the knob is; the button will drain your batteries as current is always supplied to the button, whereas the knob is a definite kill switch. IE, your radios will go dead after several months of non use in a closet with the button switch, whereas the batteries will remain fully charged with a button. Check out the floating radios, and CALL the manufacturer, speak to the tech folks. The ocean plays for keeps as you know, so be prepared.

I like your wife's attitude! My wife loves to go fishing (yep, even in January when it's cold, windy and were wearing neoprene chest waders, rain slickers), but the fishing can be unbelievable; groupers, snappers, and hot showers and fresh fish steaks. Great times. need to do it more!

Send me a pm with the price and I'll give you my thoughts for what it's worth.

Don

Last edited:

rplarry

Obviously you'll also be looking dry rot in the stern wood, especially where the hypalon is glued to the wood. The wood finish can be re coated if needed, just make sure you use marine materials. Older boats here!

Before I purchase a boat, make sure the registration plate is attached, once again an older boat-will make it easy to register with the game and fish.

For the engine, obviously run the engine, and find out when the water pump impeller has been changed. Running an outboard in the ocean, especially in the beach area, the pump, impeller, jackets and outlet easily get plugged with sand and salt. Tip time: I keep a snelled hook (with only the hook shank attached to the snell) on the engine to clean salt/sand from the outlet nozzle.

Lastly, verify the release mechanisms are intact and working on the engine-seems silly, but when your running in an ugly ocean and you head for the beach, your engine will probably hit the sandy bottom in the bottom of a swell.

Get the owners spare prop and any extra tanks, especially plastic ones, and spare gas hand bulbs, owners manual.

Some inflatable also have lights, launching wheels (better than nothing), pumps, engine oil, bimini tops-remember that stuff as you load your boat.

For my radios, we have 3- ICOM M72's (one for shore, one between boats). At the time I purchased these, these were the ones the Coastie rescue jumpers used for ocean rescues. And yes, you can hear them underwater. Remember, get a cigarette lighter charger and, make sure the radio has an on off rotating knob instead of a button. The reason for the knob is; the button will drain your batteries as current is always supplied to the button, whereas the knob is a definite kill switch. IE, your radios will go dead after several months of non use in a closet with the button switch, whereas the batteries will remain fully charged with a button. Check out the floating radios, and CALL the manufacturer, speak to the tech folks. The ocean plays for keeps as you know, so be prepared.

I like your wife's attitude! My wife loves to go fishing (yep, even in January when it's cold, windy and were wearing neoprene chest waders, rain slickers), but the fishing can be unbelievable; groupers, snappers, and hot showers and fresh fish steaks. Great times. need to do it more!

Send me a pm with the price and I'll give you my thoughts for what it's worth.

Don
All I have to say is, it is so kind of you Don to provide such detailed and informative information. I think that is what is so great about this forum. So many people are really generous with their time and information, even when they don't agree on political and other subjects (I know, because I have been hammered at times for my political replies or basic thoughts on a subject and still appreciate those who have not agreed with me, but still provide useful information). So thank you Don for your information here and if I am ever in the market for an inflatable, which I may be, what a great resource of knowledge. Kudos to you!

jerry

All I have to say is, it is so kind of you Don to provide such detailed and informative information. I think that is what is so great about this forum. So many people are really generous with their time and information, even when they don't agree on political and other subjects (I know, because I have been hammered at times for my political replies or basic thoughts on a subject and still appreciate those who have not agreed with me, but still provide useful information). So thank you Don for your information here and if I am ever in the market for an inflatable, which I may be, what a great resource of knowledge. Kudos to you!
Great info Don..we passed through your town today 8 inches of snow...crap I had forgotten what the stuff looked like let alone how to drive on it!.......I plan on writing a similar thread on buying a used Airstream..another tricky endeavor!

Hi Don,

Thank you!! What a wealth of information... I never expected to receive such great help and appreciate the time you took to provide it. I apologize for not replying to the post sooner... had a family thing come up all of a sudden and we needed to leave town in a hurry. Anyway, I got back and, of course, that rig was sold. Can't blame the guy (but wish it was me). I'm keeping my eyes open for something else or will buy new.

If anyone has something worth looking at, just let me know. Now that I know what to look for and how to handle a purchase, I'm feeling pretty excited about the whole idea.

Many, many thanks.

- Troy

Inflatables are awesome for some close in shore fishing. I once had a dolphin come and splash me as we were about 150 yard offshore. Great Fun!!

Roberto

Hey Don ! Fabulous information. Real first class stuff. So all that stuff Kenny was saying about you is not true? Stop by when you come through if you have time or need anything.

Now this is rely like the old forum. Great job Don
Sure hope to see you this winter. I am going to take my inflatable pontoon down even though I have the jet ski there.
I sure would like to tag along with you on my ski. I think at about 25 mph my range is about 60 miles total .

Now this is rely like the old forum. Great job Don
Sure hope to see you this winter. I am going to take my inflatable pontoon down even though I have the jet ski there.
I sure would like to tag along with you on my ski. I think at about 25 mph my range is about 60 miles total .

[h=1]tajustesen welcome to the site.[/h]

Thanks for sharing your invaluable knowledge!

Wow! Don, you are a wealth of great info when it comes to inflatables! I believe I am about to become the proud owner of a RIB and really appreciate your insight and advice. Tight lines!