Looking to work in PP any ideas? (serious question)

playaperro

El Pirata
So true Roberto, unless you bring your internet job down with you you're out of luck, I know some weekend campers want it to stay primitive around here but we do need jobs from the homeport to get things going and the town to move forward.

ben21

Where would I start to look for online work? Any ideas?
This one appears to be legit as well -- http://www.wahm.com/jobs.html

Despite the name, many men seem to use it as well. One thing to remember, a lot online jobs won't pay much ~$10/hr... but given the wages in RP, I'm assuming something like this would be better.

Also, I've had some friends that obtained a basic certificate for teaching abroad called TOEFL. Decent chance there could be a school down there looking for somebody to teach English

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
This one appears to be legit as well -- http://www.wahm.com/jobs.html

Despite the name, many men seem to use it as well. One thing to remember, a lot online jobs won't pay much ~$10/hr... but given the wages in RP, I'm assuming something like this would be better.

Also, I've had some friends that obtained a basic certificate for teaching abroad called TOEFL. Decent chance there could be a school down there looking for somebody to teach English

I've always wondered about this. Wouldn't you need an American IP address? Obviously a strong/fast/reliable internet would be a MUST. I loosely know how sh!tty the internet is in Mexico but I bet some of our LOCALS could fill us in on the fast/reliable part. I know the internet down at Jerry's works awesome one minute and then doesnt work for hours on end. Usually during the day time it lags and or is non existent. Shit, I'd make $10/hr and fish everyday. Fine with me... I might be joining Garyd.

If you are fluent in reading and writing spanish an online document translator is another online business. Met a couple that does this in mazatlan. We have had to have documents translated for immigration and used an online service.

jerry

I have some. ".....breaking rocks in the hot sun....." :cool:
Gary I was thinking about this and wonder if a person had a product condo/ home owners would really need that he could get a wholesale distributor ship for in the states and deliver and install in Mexico...smart thermos/cameras or things like this..https://www.touchofmodern.com/sales/mylight-b711a028-6e60-42eb-b73b-ee4475c8f89a/bed-light-deluxe.....something the regular guy could not install and work that cost into the total price...claim install is free....

garyd

The guys down here always want me to buy a panga from el Golfo the fishermen sell after getting new ones from the Feds for not killing everything up there.They tell me we can get a great one for 5k,put a relative in his boat and he runs the new boat and between grouper and blue shrimp I could make 50 k a year.....not sure I believe them
Hook me up with your guy please. GD

marybna

I used to tutor high school students for AIMS. There were people in my group that had telephone jobs teaching English to non native speakers. I actually interviewed and was offered a job about 5 years ago. Then they paid $11 a hr. Basical you had about five students that you converesed with everyday. Mostly they were from Korea or India. YOu would spend about 15 min emailsing then an article from the paper or people magazine and then they would email you a review and you would correct it. Then they would call you and you would converse about 20 min. You have one hour total with each student includidng paper work. You can find those jobs on the web.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
The water taxi idea, while intriguing, will only last until the first drunken gringo falls off and drowns. Plus, pangas are unwieldy to get in and out of. No dock at Sandy Beach (or the Malecon, for that matter) and if you want to go out for a nice dinner, you aren't gonna want to traipse through the surf to jump in a panga. Add to that you are also at the mercy of the weather. When the wind blows... when it's hot and humid... people want their AC! Just sayin'...

Roberto's comments about working in Mexico as a gringo are spot on. It's VERY tough. I know I wanted to do charter fishing and looked pretty hard at it. About the only way to do it easily is to marry a Mexican and run the business in their name. Even then, the point about competition is also spot on. They can run you out of business and out of town. If you get over those hurdles, you still have the ones the Mex govt. throws at you with taxes and the banking aspects.

I would firmly suggest you meet with a gringo who actually lives and runs a business in Penasco and hear their story. It's amazing anyone even tries to do it.

ben21

and if you want to go out for a nice dinner, you aren't gonna want to traipse through the surf to jump in a panga.
We stayed at a resort in Ko Samet about 5 years ago. To get there we took a speed boat from the main land. Upon arrival an employee brought out a portable ramp to the beach that made getting out much easier (just had to roll up pants a little bit). As for the Malecon side, not sure the logistics on that end.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
We stayed at a resort in Ko Samet about 5 years ago. To get there we took a speed boat from the main land. Upon arrival an employee brought out a portable ramp to the beach that made getting out much easier (just had to roll up pants a little bit). As for the Malecon side, not sure the logistics on that end.
On the malecon side use the marina that the pangeros use it's an easy sand exit, walk up to the main drag (short walk) and either walk into the Malecon or get a taxi for 20 pesitos per person.

jerry

Maybe hot air ballon rides......Bungee from Playa Azul has been done all the time by some extreme sports guys

garyd

I used to tutor high school students for AIMS. There were people in my group that had telephone jobs teaching English to non native speakers. I actually interviewed and was offered a job about 5 years ago. Then they paid $11 a hr. Basical you had about five students that you converesed with everyday. Mostly they were from Korea or India. YOu would spend about 15 min emailsing then an article from the paper or people magazine and then they would email you a review and you would correct it. Then they would call you and you would converse about 20 min. You have one hour total with each student includidng paper work. You can find those jobs on the web.
Thank you for your reply. I will look into it. GD

dry heat

Pigeon coup coordinator
Another idea... Handyman service for all the condo's in Penasco. This is a huge referral market. If you speak english, do quality work, charge a competitive price... people will tell others about your service.