Need a veterinarian

Here's the latest update on Tova:

She made it through the surgery and seems to be recovering well. The good news is it is not cancer. But what it is is hard to explain. The vet said it is unlike anything he has ever seen. To dumb down the much better medical explanation, Tova had most likely gotten ahold of a bone, which broke off and lodged in her esophagus. Many dogs have died from situations like this but Tova is a fighter and suffered (probably for quite some time) in silence as things backed up behind the blockage. It blocked her breathing and eating. Her body was pretty miraculous and created a new pathway (or pocket) for things to get through which is what kept her alive. But over time the new pathway backed up too. We didn't know any of this until we took her to a highly recommended vet in Santa Fe after returning from our trip. The vet did an x-ray and found the blockage.

Today's surgery removed the blockage and now that she got through that and the initial (very risky) recovery phase he says she seems to be doing very well. Breathing has improved tremendously already. She will stay at the vet's for a few more days for observation. She's not out of the woods yet but we have gone from hearing things like "little chance of survival" to "very hopeful" in just a day.

Thanks for your continued love and prayers.

Oh, and in case you do prefer the more medical explanation here it is: Huge (10 cm out pouching) esophageal diverticula of bone and food. All removed on liquid diet from now on. Hopefully no aspiration pneumonia, further impaction or continued weight loss.

In other words: "¡No bueno!"

So glad she is still fighting!! Pigs ears only from now on, right? That is so scary. I think of all the bones I have given my beloved dogs in the past, and never once had the thought of something awful like this. Thanks to Tova we all got a little more educated! My best wishes and prayers are coming her way. Perhaps a little colloidal silver in her water to help healing. My mother swears by it!

Roberto

I have always been told to avoid bones that splinter, like chicked bones, and small bones but thick beef bones are OK. Especially a joint. The dogs have to grind them. You can take them away when they get small.

garyd

Most cooked bones will splinter. Joints work well as stated above but if you are not concerned about something being raw they can eat chicken or beef but only raw. Just like in the wild.

Roberto

Most cooked bones will splinter. Joints work well as stated above but if you are not concerned about something being raw they can eat chicken or beef but only raw. Just like in the wild.
Not sure about chicken bones under any circumstances. Most bird bones are thin and hollow and can splinter. Chicken leg bones are great for teething babies. Just let thm chew on the joint end, mmmm good !!

If you are concerned about smell or baceria on big beef joint bones, boil em for 3 min. Won't cook the bone but will sear the meat. I used to buy the big joints in the meat counter. My big Bullmastiff would grind them down.