sonoyta safety warning...

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac
This is pretty interesting that they are siting Puerto Peñasco as the hub.

About 4 trips ago on one of our adventures we were heading (I guess west) on route 3 and came upon a couple little houses off the side of the road. We Stopped asking for possible entrance to the dunes North of the highway... not much English, but the basic answer was no.

Anyways about half way to the house there was a Federales check point and when I mentioned headin back to the check point the guy I was communicating with instantly got concerned and really tried his best English on me to try to figure out how far away they were.
He flat out told me he needed to contact his peoples cause they were making a run into town and thanked me for the info...

I know that there is no lack for finding anything you want in PP, but it just seems so obvious that it would be a hub that I figured no one would take the chance. Considering the lack of constant contention for control there, there has to be more than just the ruling cartel keeping things civil.

I would love to see where the money trails lead. Much bigger fish than the local politicians.... Possibly some of the heavy land owners. o_O

I am sure that's no revelation but man it is unbelievable how loud , or in this case how quiet money can keep things.
Hillbeartoe, The guy you probably talked to was P S...to get into his little ranch you have to jump the railroad tracks..if you noticed his property is the only property between Penasco and El Golfo that you have to jump the tracks to get to it, that's because that area is in the nucleus of the Pinacate Reserve and it is illegal now to build, drive or even take a rock from the place...Thats why he wouldn't give you access to the dunes, if the reserve rangers catch you riding in the dunes you will be charged with a federal crime...About the PGR checkpoint on the way out...they are out there for many things, not just drugs and guns, his problem and his families problem when the federali's are working,are the Condefa plates they use on their vehicles, the feds will confiscate their cars if they get caught outside of Penasco, using those plates...They are green and white and made of cardboard... (they are used to half ass give people the chance to drive the vehicles that they cant afford to legalize and to the feds are an illegal plate...because 99 % of the time the vehicles are still in the name of the person that sold it to them...http://ppsmiradorregional.blogspot.com/2010/07/condefa-busca-legalizacion-vehiculos.html

Last edited:
I was actually trying my best not to pinpoint anyone or any particular place as not to possibly implicate anyone wrongly. I would hate to cause anything. It's the main reason I have never said anything before.
That's interesting information.
I didn't dig to deep just was told a couple things and left it at that. Headed back and found a way to the estuaries past Laguna shores.
I didn't want to put myself in any kind of position one way or another.
Who ever he was was very nice and we tried our best to communicate. He was a younger guy, me being mid40s. We haven't been back there but probably past it along the coast exploring. We try to stay near the water as much as possible.
Thank you for the information.

Edit: On second thought it might be wise to remove that person's name from the posting and reword it to speak of people in general. The info about the reserve is very good information for peoe to know about that visit the forum.
Just a thought .

audsley

They also reported Guzman escaped jail in 2014 when he's still locked up.
I got the same impression and wondered why I hadn't heard of Guzman escaping, but then I read it again carefully and saw the writer actually meant this El Memos character escaped from prison.

"El Memos came to power with help from Joaquín “El Chapo” Guzmán, the head of the Sinaloa Cartel who was arrested in February 2014. He and his two bodyguards escaped a Sinaloa prison in 2014 through a tunnel that was dug into the prison from the outside."

Awkward, but decipherable with some effort. With newspapers in severe decline, copy editing just isn't what it used to be.

playaperro

El Pirata
You don't like Trigger fish Playa? Man they were great tasting, I had heard they were good eating for some time but I am hoping to catch some more. Ex boss says to fry them in crushed Ranch Lays! Lol.
I don't recall eating trigger before, I guess its all in the prep, ate some Manta rey tacos at a beach party the other day and they were very good, better than carne asada steet tacos they also had. The manta was not deep fried kind of look like carne deshebrada.

Last edited:
I don't recall eating trigger before, I guess its all in the prep, ate some Mata tacos at a beach party the other day and they were very good, better than carne asada steet tacos they also had. The mata was not deep fried kind of look like carne deshebrada.
Fillet.
Split fillet cutting blood line out.
Marinade (in a ziplock bag) 2Tbsp. of Soy Sauce, 1 Tsp Sesame Oil and 1 Tsp. Sugar, for 15 minutes.
Mix in one 1 large egg and 1/4 cup of corn starch, mix by hand.
Deep fry at 375 till they float and are golden Brown.
Serve with any sauce.

Wrong section for this but food and cooking are a special thing to me. Anytime anywhere.

Oh, by the way buddy careful with the Mata or Surgeon fish.

I had to look it up because I thought I had read that "They are considered good food fish, however, there is a concern that they may contain Cigua Toxin, which is present in Surgeonfish outside the Eastern Pacific."

http://www.mexfish.com/mexico/yellowfin-surgeonfish/

Last edited:

jerry

I don't recall eating trigger before, I guess its all in the prep, ate some Mata tacos at a beach party the other day and they were very good, better than carne asada steet tacos they also had. The mata was not deep fried kind of look like carne deshebrada.
Great fish sandwich Baja style fish

playaperro

El Pirata
Fillet.
Split fillet cutting blood line out.
Marinade (in a ziplock bag) 2Tbsp. of Soy Sauce, 1 Tsp Sesame Oil and 1 Tsp. Sugar, for 15 minutes.
Mix in one 1 large egg and 1/4 cup of corn starch, mix by hand.
Deep fry at 375 till they float and are golden Brown.
Serve with any sauce.

Wrong section for this but food and cooking are a special thing to me. Anytime anywhere.

Oh, by the way buddy careful with the Mata or Surgeon fish.

I had to look it up because I thought I had read that "They are considered good food fish, however, there is a concern that they may contain Cigua Toxin, which is present in Surgeonfish outside the Eastern Pacific."

http://www.mexfish.com/mexico/yellowfin-surgeonfish/
It was manta not mata sorry, its good Kenny didn't catch it or he would been all over this.

It was manta not mata sorry, its good Kenny didn't catch it or he would been all over this.
Ahh. Ok. I have heard Manta is good too. But believe it or not I have ethical issues eating rays as well as sharks but, I guess when they are prepped right its some goot sheeit.
You know they pee through their skin right? Lol.

You should definitely try some trigger Perro, it's firm and almost crabby textured. We will be down there Friday through Mon. and I am planning on trying the Ranch Lays fry recipe. I will let you know.

FACT CHECKING TIME.........

Anyone out there see a real Manta Ray lately? You know, black on top white on bottom up to 20 feet from wing tip to wing tip? Harmless plankton eating giant. Weighing in at a ton or more? They used to fly out of the water and hit the surface with the sound of a cannon shot. One of the true gentle giants of the deep. The last time I ever saw a genuine monster adult was say back in the 70's on the Topalabampo ferry across the Gulf to Baja California. I saw dozens of them jumping, sometimes five or six at a time.

When I first got to Yuma in 1984 I used to go to Los Algodones, BC where they had a fish market on a smaller scale of the filthy smelly shit fly infested lineup at the RP Malecon. Most of the offerings were fairly fresh from Baja, probably San Felipe and further south. They always had fresh bloody Pacifice Ridley sea turtle steaks as well as ten inch thick slabs of Manta Raya. Man-o-man talk about some un-godly savory delicious stuff! Well it wasn't long before us Gringos couldn't bring the turtle accross but soon after no mas por Manta Raya as well.

Since then and going to RP I have never seen a slab of genuine Manta Raya with the distinctive black on top white on bottom skin. The rip-off- a-holes at the Malecon always trim off the skin then pass off a half dozen other species of rays and even Shovel-Nosed Sharks as the superbly delicious Manta Raya with an outrageous price as well. I don't think that any other profession, if one can call it that: AKA RP Malecon Fish Mongers better deserve a permanent dip in Fire Lake. They are all liars and thieves and openly admit it with their double standard sets of scales. There was a time when they actually had whole fish that the customer could identify and have a fillet or steak cut fresh. No Mas!! Everything is a fugin mystery fish, if it is a fish at all.

Two times now I bought their so-called Flounder=Lenguado, knowing damn well it was just Eagle Ray and looked directly into their evil lying eyes whilst making the purchase, only because I wanted to actually try and cook it to see what it was like.

Must admit, my wolf pack wouldn't even eat it, my big boy Mescalito just pissed on it and walked away, the flies wern't even interested. I wonder if the stuff is even fit for my garden compost heap.

Well, supper time, two pounds of top quality camaron mediano brownies from the guys on Sinaloa.

See Ya All this weekend!

JJ