180 lb. Grouper

Wood Spinner

Well Known Member
I saw Rick Felder this am and he told me they went out about 40 miles last Sat and he got a 180 lb grouper. He said they also caught several other nice fish.
Nice going Rick

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
Yeah, we saw Joe with that fish shortly after we arrived on Saturday night (it was actually a black seabass)... poor Joe looked pretty worn out from fighting that hog.

RIC

Yes, it was a black sea bass. Joe was definately worn out, but i caught the fish:thumbsup:

Ric

ricsrockypointfishing.com

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
Joe was definately worn out, but i caught the fish:thumbsup:

Hmmmm..... who to believe? You're both such nice guys. :think:

Or, maybe I was drunk and I didn't hear Joe correctly when Dave asked him who caught it (nah- that can't be possible :coldone: )

Maybe Jeffrey's the one who REALLY caught it (equally impossible, I'll wager :rofl:)

I heard you guys did about the same as us on Sunday - we caught a 15 lb Sardie, and a couple monster triggers (one was pushing 10 pounds) and a whole lotta nothing else...

garyd

Well Known Member
Yes, it was a black sea bass. Joe was definately worn out, but i caught the fish:thumbsup:

Ric

ricsrockypointfishing.com
Asking this question because I don't know the truth. I have heard that when the Sea Bass gets that big it is not very tasty. Is that true?

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Asking this question because I don't know the truth. I have heard that when the Sea Bass gets that big it is not very tasty. Is that true?
They are better eating under the 100 lb. mark. However, I've eaten quite a bit of black seabass from much bigger fish. The trick (I've found) is cutting it and cooking it in small pieces, not big hunks of fillet. Think pieces the size of fish sticks deep-fried - perfect for tacos, pure white, very tasty. I know years ago, I tried cooking a large piece from a big ol' actual grouper for a party and was very disappointed - it turned out very rubbery and tough.

Congrats guys on a nice catch -- I'd still rather pound the halibuts out there!! :puff:

dennis

amazing how rumors get started, i actually saw dennis and stu give that fish to riccy ricardo. it was their smallest fish of the day and they wanted to help ric and joe out. they had 2 sardines and a wrasse for the day. congrats to dennis and stu

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
amazing how rumors get started, i actually saw dennis and stu give that fish to riccy ricardo. it was their smallest fish of the day and they wanted to help ric and joe out. they had 2 sardines and a wrasse for the day. congrats to dennis and stu
That story is STILL incomplete.

We actually ran down to Lobos and bought that fish off of Ted's friend the panga-guy, and then we high-tailed it back to Penasco, loaded it on a submarine and ran it out to Stu's boat (which we knew would be sitting on either the 43, the 51, or the Witch's hat)

When we got out there to unload the fish, Dennis and Stu didn't even have a line in the water- they were drinking beers and watching the sea-lions playing. I think Dave was with them and he was complaining about having to wind up from so deep and wishing he had an electric reel...

When we unloaded the fish onto their boat, Stuart said something about wishing it was a halibut, because he really loves pounding the butts... but I instantly tuned him out, because, you know, even though I respect whatever lifestyle Stuart chooses for himself, that particular activity is just not my thing... :pinkie:

So, I hope we have FINALLY set the record straight on where that fish came from...

Now, about shirt Ric is wearing in that picture... what is that? a picture of a dolphin on the front of that shirt?

GV Jack

Snorin God
Now, you would never get this much BS from GOLFERS.

We always tell the straight truth. No Dolphins on our shirts, either.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
...because he really loves pounding the butts... but I instantly tuned him out, because, you know, even though I respect whatever lifestyle Stuart chooses for himself, that particular activity is just not my thing... :pinkie:
We call 'em Halle-Berry-Butts for a reason, yanno? :rofl:halle.jpg