2011 Mark Hahn 300 Jetski Race

The start of the 300 mile jetski race held on Lake Havasu.....from a cam mounted on one of the skis. The lake is flat at the start of the race.....10 mile laps....30 laps....and it gets BRUTAL later in the race after the boaters and ferries are out! After you finish the race, your legs are like jello..... This is a team race, with 2 racers on the "sit-down" skis, and 3 racers on the "standups"....there are "crazies" that have run it "iron man".....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5knHdRQe5OQ

Just to give you an idea on how fast they are going.....the winner ran an average speed of approx. 65 mph, with a top lap speed of 71.5. Some of the skis are capable of over 80 mph in bursts on flat water. Most racers were refueling every 4-5 laps....the standups probably every 2-3 (smaller fuel tanks).

Last edited:

HAPPY

User is currently banned
Races

How do we get them to hold one of these in RP...would be a blast, and help bring some folks down?
~ ~ ~ They did have them up until a few years ago, ``` then Penasco went into the toilet, ``` and they were scared off, & lost interest, ``` races were held off of PDO beach, ``` it was a gas to watch, ~ ~ ~ and talk about the ~ ~ ~ "NASTY GIRLS" ~ ~ ~ they were well represented, ~ ~ ~ :bunny: ~ ~ ~

I saw Tyler & Stuart @ every race, ``` selling ``` COTTON CANDY ``` Tyler even added "CANDY APPLES" ``` he told me they were a better seller``` :lol:

~ ~ ~ And everytime they would make a sale to a "NASTY GIRL" or two, ``` I would die laughing,

~ ~ ~ They would go into their ~ ~ ~ :puff: DANCE :lol: ```

T

Tomcat

Hey joe you have 2 jet ski's right ? my shoulder is healing so maybe in the near future we can have a little fun jet ski race down in RP.... Man I just dreaming of getting my right shoulder back soon.... LOL slow but sure and patients I know.... ;)
The start of the 300 mile jetski race held on Lake Havasu.....from a cam mounted on one of the skis. The lake is flat at the start of the race.....10 mile laps....30 laps....and it gets BRUTAL later in the race after the boaters and ferries are out! After you finish the race, your legs are like jello..... This is a team race, with 2 racers on the "sit-down" skis, and 3 racers on the "standups"....there are "crazies" that have run it "iron man".....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5knHdRQe5OQ

Just to give you an idea on how fast they are going.....the winner ran an average speed of approx. 65 mph, with a top lap speed of 71.5. Some of the skis are capable of over 80 mph in bursts on flat water. Most racers were refueling every 4-5 laps....the standups probably every 2-3 (smaller fuel tanks).

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Get carried away on the "Post" button, Tom? No problem... deleted the duplicates. :)

T

Tomcat

Oppps made a few edits to my spelling but didn't know that would make duplicates post.... so sorry !
Get carried away on the "Post" button, Tom? No problem... deleted the duplicates. :)

Anybody riding one of these? I'd sure love to take one of these puppies for a ride!! 300 HP, supercharged. That's more HP than a majority of cars have today!!

http://www.jetski.com/article.cfm?id=1007
Stuart...when I ran in that race a few years back, my Seadoo was a 4 stroke, 1500 cc., supercharged, intercooled rated at 215 hp. It had a top speed of about 65.

There were supposed to be several of these Kawasakis in the race this year.... I can imagine what it's like to ride one that can do about 80. I went off mine in the race when I hit a ferry wake at about 65....went flying head first....my poor back felt it for about a week!

Just looked thru the specs....impressive...they even have a 21 gal. fuel tank (mine had 15).

There is another interesting endurance race held....going from Long Beach harbor to Catalina Island and back....when they were running 2 storkes, they used to refuel at Catalina...with the 4 strokes, they started modifying the tank capacity a bit...to be able to make it non stop.....now they don't need to. At the speeds they run you're guzzling the gas....3-4 mpg.

Last edited:
~ ~ ~ They did have them up until a few years ago, ``` then Penasco went into the toilet, ``` and they were scared off, & lost interest, ``` races were held off of PDO beach, ``` it was a gas to watch, ~ ~ ~ and talk about the ~ ~ ~ "NASTY GIRLS" ~ ~ ~ they were well represented, ~ ~ ~ :bunny: ~ ~ ~

I saw Tyler & Stuart @ every race, ``` selling ``` COTTON CANDY ``` Tyler even added "CANDY APPLES" ``` he told me they were a better seller``` :lol:

~ ~ ~ And everytime they would make a sale to a "NASTY GIRL" or two, ``` I would die laughing,

~ ~ ~ They would go into their ~ ~ ~ :puff: DANCE :lol: ```
Happy...my first race was in the last one they held off PDO...and it was during spring break...with all the "contests" they used to hold over at the Pitaya..... I'm sure you enjoyed those!!!

They stopped because of all the grief the racers got at the border. Many were running 2 stroke modified engines and Aviation gas, and the Mexican border people wouldn't let them bring it in. Jose Anacleto of JJ's was willing to sponsor a race over in Cholla....get all the necessary permits, etc., but I couldn't get the US promoter we were workign with to get together with him to get it going.

Hey joe you have 2 jet ski's right ? my shoulder is healing so maybe in the near future we can have a little fun jet ski race down in RP.... Man I just dreaming of getting my right shoulder back soon.... LOL slow but sure and patients I know.... ;)
Tom...I don't think you want to run a race off the beaches in Penasco once you heal up....I used to practice in the rough water as did a couple of other racers prepping for the endurance races. Even did some wave jumping with a 1000 lb. ski outside the harbor.....

T

Tomcat

Joe, You would be surprised at what I would and can do on a machine... I rode side my side in the mountains with some of the top national and international racers in several classes of dirt bike and flat track as part of my job as the OHV manager (23 years Wenatchee National Forest) of one of the most popular Off Highway Vehicle programs in the Northwest.. That included Snow mobiles and the extreme sport of climbing 2000 foot hill climbs and they were crazy with custom machine's running nitro. I can't say i ever climb those 2000 foot vertical hill climbs with a snow machine but had the job of watching and ugly job of picking up what was left of the guys who didn't make it and rolled a thousand feet down the sloops with there machine. I don't think a jet ski would bother me to much ! LOL To bad the state of Washington took all the OHV state funding for state parks or I would still be there grrrr oh well funding issue are in ever state so no complaints !
Tom...I don't think you want to run a race off the beaches in Penasco once you heal up....I used to practice in the rough water as did a couple of other racers prepping for the endurance races. Even did some wave jumping with a 1000 lb. ski outside the harbor.....

T

Tomcat

Actual I will share a thought I had on me riding my dual sport 650 down to RP along through the mexican desert from lukeville to RP... If some bad guys tried to pull me off over I was scanning the desert to leave the road and haul ass across the desert while they hit there brakes and just watched the gringo disappear !!! Yeah i know thats crazy but its was my plan as I am not stopping for anyone on that section of highway LOL OK rename me now... Loco Tomcat... hahahahaha
Tom...I don't think you want to run a race off the beaches in Penasco once you heal up....I used to practice in the rough water as did a couple of other racers prepping for the endurance races. Even did some wave jumping with a 1000 lb. ski outsi Edit Postde the harbor.....

Last edited by a moderator: