4/18

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Watching Buoyweather intently... need the wind to lay a little more and it will be a great day for drifting the deep reefs.

Jim

Very windy here today. A blizzard of sand. We have fishing lined up for Friday and Saturday so I hope it settles down.

don

Dangit, 20 mph winds for Saturday, as per weather underground. Friday looks great, but we won't arrive until Friday afternoon. Corvina from shore in the PM though.

Thursday 4/16
Morning

Breezy whitecapping conditions with moderate choppy seas. Small short period wind waves.
Seas: NW 0.6 to 0.7 meters at 4 sec.
Winds: N 10 to 14 knots
Afternoon

Light winds with a slight chop. Small short period wind waves.
Seas: NW 0.2 to 0.3 meters at 3 seconds
Winds: NW 7 to 9 knots

Friday 4/17
Morning

Light and variable winds with smooth seas. Small short period wind waves.
Seas: N 0.1 to 0.1 meters at 0 seconds
Winds: NW 4 to 5 knots
Afternoon

Light winds with a slight chop. Small short period wind waves.
Seas: N 0.1 to 0.2 meters at 0 sec.
Winds: NW 8 to 10 knots

Hooch

dmcauley said:
The tides are great and the wind is slowing down! Fishing Saturday??? Hmmmmmmm......
I'm thinking about going saturday as well, I was going to go to the beach party at Playa but im not paying 25 bones to listen to local az bands, what spots are you planning on hitting?

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Just talked to Audi. He's out making bait right now. Said it was like a lake, flat as could be. I may head down this afternoon. Tomorrow should be a great day on the water after all.

don

Thanks for the update Stuart! I'm heading out (Flagstaff) and hopefully see you fellas' at safe marina in the AM. Doubt I'll be heading out to 51 though. :boat:
Best of luck!

1UofACat

Saturday morning with Don in his boat...

Lost the fish a few minutes after this was taken (by Don). At least it was on long enough to get a camera, take a couple of shots, then go back below deck to gather the gaff, and experience a "run" before it was over. We were at 16(something), Don can say exactly where.

First time out for me and we just couldn't pull off boating one of these big fish. Well, at least it was fun while it lasted!

Oh, and I did turn the rod "around" shortly after this pic was taken... which made winding a bit easier before it was simply gone... I can now appreciate just how much "work" this can be.

This next one is for those who thought it might be too rough this past weekend!

it wasn't... :)

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
1UofACat said:
Saturday morning with Don in his boat...
This next one is for those who thought it might be too rough this past weekend!
Go ahead... rub it in. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Sixty

Nothing worse than pulling hooks on a fish you never saw! That was probably the best weather until next fall, cause it will be in the 100's in no time.

Thanks for the report!

don

Boy did I screw up this weekend!
I had planned on heading to RP early Friday with a friend and my Brother. We'd be fishing from inflatables, trolling reefs several miles off shore. Thursday evenings forecast was terrible, so like others on the forum I called the trip off. Dang, sure wanted to go, and it would have been my Brothers first time fishing in RP.

However, Friday morning the forecast changed, so a few quick calls (and an invite to KENNY) and the trip was back on.

Initially I planned using my inflatables. We troll with deep divers on reefs 2 to 5 miles off shore, boat rods and penn 4/0 reels. We have no need (never tried em') scampis' or heavy sinkers. Just troll. So I was hurriedly packing for the trip, trolling tackle, rods, passport, portable radios, engines, fuel tanks,... and then saw the posts on forum showing even better weather. Decision time...

Skip the inflatables and take the Wellcraft, named "Reelaxation" :D which is stored in Phx. Grab the batteries, the chargers, documentation, sea anchor, put away inflatables, engines, etc. and take off for RP.

Saturday morning we left Safe Marina late, 9:30 to make bait on the "Lake of Cortez". This was going to be good! Had a hard time making bait though, tried several different spots off the point, about a mile offshore, but did catch a few candis'.

Uh oh :shock: , uh, I was set up for trolling... No Scampi's aboard... No large sinkers :roll: . Dang.

Gave my brother the option, either we troll for smaller groupers or make the best of it and head out. He said lets go for big guys.

Took off for the 15, and using iron caught a few large sand bass, went to the 16 and had the same luck, but my brother boated a goldspot. Next to a reef several miles away. After a few drifts (iron) my Brother hollered out, his rod had doubled over. He was on to something big. Several times the fish ran and he couldn't stop it :eek: . Whoa, this was fun. Grab the camera, get a couple quick shots and get the gaff. Within several minutes the fish tired of the game and gone. Just gone...
Slack in the line? I doubt it. Hook pulled, probably.
Slump back in the chair, exhale and shake your head. Dang, what a fish. Wow, fun. Incredible fight. Head in at sunset on small, following whitecapping rollers. Dine at La Cuerva that evening.

Sunday we left Safe Marina much earlier (7:00) to find the ocean flat, not even a ripple. Still had a hard time making bait about a mile off the point though. There was a panga out there whick looked like he was attempting the same. He'd move to a different spot as well every 15/20 minutes. Hmmm, maybe I spend too much time in one location trying to make bait... Much I should chum with chovies I'd brought along... We tried several spots, then decided to just skip it, maybe we'll do better on the reefs. A breeze kicked up and on the way out to a reef 20 miles distant. Upon arrival we found a panga pulling up a net. Two hours later the panga we saw making bait arrived and started drift fishing. Once again the sea anchor worked beautifully to slow our drift. This was one of the best investments I've ever made!

We caught more really nice sand bass the largest I've ever caught, and lip hooked the smaller guys on our jigs. Also caught some candies while drifting. We hated to call it a day at 1:00 PM, but really needed to scoot back to Flag.

Stu was correct about the wind picking up a bit on Saturday. Sunday was calm for a short while and then the wind picked up. By the wind scale, maybe 15-17 knot wind. The sea anchor I purchased earlier worked extremely well, and I'll never leave port without it!

Uh, the same goes for large sinkers, scampis' large reels... ;) (I'd basically stripped the boat when I put it up for the winter, never do that again!)

don

Where can I purchase large sinkers and Scampis' in RP?

I was hoping to find Ric out there and see if his tackle shop was open, but no luck.

surfcaster

Tom the Surfcaster
Wow looked almost glassy! Whats the buoy weather saying for this weekend? Am I going to be casting into calm blue seas or chocolate milk from the beach?

:?:

don

At this time it looks like it chocolate. However, last Thursday the forecast was for high winds and it layed down overnight. If I had a chance, I'd go again! :boat:

Kelney

Don
Sounded like an enjoyable trip. In a pinch the marine store across the street from La Curva has basic items such as hooks, sinkers, nets, 2 stroke oil, etc. I enjoy browsing there when I have run out of things to do.