6th Annual Grouper Tournament

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Moore seems to be missing in action 'round these parts lately. That's the perfect opportunity for Team Constancia to creep in and steal all the top awards this year!!
Bwahahahahahaha!!! :puff::puff::puff::puff:

Let the trash talkin' begin...

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
I'm looking forward to it this year - hopefully the wind and water cooperate. Spent a good part of yesterday in the garage making grouper rigs. Setup a new pole and reel with 80 lb. PowerPro. Sharpened my hand gaff. Tweaking this and tweaking that. All the little things you don't think about at the last minute.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Ke paso? gano? Mexicano, Americano? I take it an outsider walked with the main prize!
There was something "dubious" the first year or so of the tournament when a Mexican walked away with top winner prize with a fish that looked like it had been dead and on ice somewhere for over a week. Just sayin'. The past few years have seemed to be totally on the up and up.

Ted

Dave was mentioning that there will be some method of verification of catch-video or picture with something that could only be from that day.
Also planning on a two day total for each species.

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
I like the two day total weight per species idea- that helps to take the "lucky fish" lottery aspect out of it.

Regarding on-board cameras: good idea, but Plinio and Javier need to get those rules down in writing, and posted on the web ASAP if they are going to do that. How many folks would be pissed if they showed up to register on Friday night, and were turned down because they didn't have a camera?

I'll bring one along anyway, just in case...

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
We do the camera thing in nearly all the tournaments in San Carlos. Because it's a release format, you call into tournament control when you hook-up, they tell you how many fingers to hold up in the picture with the billfish before you release it. All is recorded and must match up at the end of the day, or no points for the fish. Since this is a kill tournament, they can base it on weight instead of points. I'm not sure how valuable the camera aspect is here and what is the verification method is going to be? Date/Time stamp on the photo? Questions, questions...

fishaholic

Jeff "Just Hammered"
Hey Guys, Just heard the tournament has been postponed due to lack of funding....very disappointing to me due to the efforts it took in planning to participate in this event. I think it is Bull S#&t that they do this less than a week prior to the event. I have other team members that had made arrangements and sacrifices to be able to fish a tournament over Father's Day weekend, me included! I'm sure there might be others that have rented hotels, made travel arrangements, negotiated with their family to even be able to fish on Fathers day. I know over the five previous tournaments there has been some bumps in the road but this is ridiculous! This tournament is the qualifier for the Circuito Mar De Cortez, we qualified by placing last year and fished the Final in Cabo last December, you would think they would have it together?

I spoke with Dave from Capones and there is talk about setting another date and hopefully with time the funding will show up. Any thoughts on this? My take is it is only getting hotter, how about October, should give the Government time to fund it?

Oh by the way Dave told me he has got to go pull all his signs down. What a pain in the ass!

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
The wind/wave forecast was starting to look pretty sketchy for next weekend as well...

wind, no prize money, and honestly- a very "un-red-hot" grouper fishing season so far this year anyway...

When Trent saw the wind forecast for next Saturday, He emailed me "Great- We'll run out to the one-mile reef and see if we can hang a tournament winning sand bass on a Sabiki..."

dmcauley

This was a tournament kind of doomed to failure from the start. Too late in the windy season for much chance of a calm day and also as Robert pointed out, there is not much of a bite on yet this year. July should be a good time for the bite but it is so damn hot out that it wouldn't be a lot of fun. Damn the tourney, the first wind free weekend I'm going to fill the freezer with grouper flesh, but it doesn't look like that will happen on fathers day.

Last edited:

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Just confirmed same with Dave. No funding, hence no tournament. Connie and I are going anyway because I've been saving my pennies for this event. I need to go pull on some fish, even if there is no competition. Hopefully, we'll have decent enough weather to get out one or two days next weekend.

Dave did mention to post up dates when we might have it this fall. Oct seems prime (Sept. is still dreadfully hot).

See ya'll on the water!

Roberto

Word on the street is that a group of grouper, backed up by some Mako, met with tourney backers and put the bite on them to cancel.