A First For Me - Food Poisoning!

mis2810

Well Known Member
I've been traveling to all parts of Mexico - south, north, east and west - for over 25 years. I eat on the street and I eat in nice restaurants. Never in all the years have I had food poisoning - EVER.

Someone on this forum suggested the restaurant at Lluvia del Mar hotel on the main boulevard so we tried it on Saturday night.

STAY AWAY!! The food was mediocre at best, and within hours I was hoping God would just kill me and put me out of my misery. Now I'm on pills for parasites just in case.

Eat at this place at your own risk.

Landshark

Well Known Member
Same thing happened to me a couple of times over the years, different restaurants. Not fun and didn't go away very quickly, suspected parasites as well. What pills are you taking? Just in case there is a next time...

mis2810

Well Known Member
My husband wanted to take me to the doctor, but I didn't even want to leave the house so he went to the farmacia and got me something called Treda which helped a lot within 90 minutes. Took 2 doses of that and was almost 100% better. Then I took a 1 dose medicine of something called Ah-Micol - 2 tablets. Since then I feel fine. Finally had a normal appetite this morning.

I realize it could happen anywhere in any country. All it takes is one food worker that didn't wash their hands. But once you've had it it's hard to return to the same place where you think you got it. The food wasn't that great in the first place so I don't feel like I'd be missing out on anything anyway.

Landshark

Well Known Member
Thanks for the great info. Next time down I'll be picking some up. Sounds like Treda is an antibiotic and Ah-Midol is for parasites. Sure wish I had some the last time I got sick. The antibiotics I got after I came home helped but not completely. I assumed it was a parasite and didn't want to go back to the doctor again for testing so I took Coptis root pills. That solved the problem but took about a week.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
It happens. I've always had a cast iron stomach, but it just takes that one time and that one meal. Mine was chicken enchiladas suiza at La Curva years ago. Didn't hit me until the next day out on the boat. Everybody else was fine; I was the only one that had that dish. Ever since that day, immodium is my best friend and I don't leave home without it. Thought I was going to turn myself inside out.

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
I got food poisoning at Friendly Dolphin. Don't ever, ever, ever, ever eat ceviche when you don't personally know the cook! I got home before I got sick and just laid on the bathroom floor for 3 days because it wasn't worth going back to bed for 5 minutes. I don't EVER want to be that sick again!

HILL BOY

Well Known Member
I just don't eat out this time of the year to hard to keep their food cold enough to keep it safe

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

brokenwave

Well Known Member
My husband wanted to take me to the doctor, but I didn't even want to leave the house so he went to the farmacia and got me something called Treda which helped a lot within 90 minutes. Took 2 doses of that and was almost 100% better. Then I took a 1 dose medicine of something called Ah-Micol - 2 tablets. Since then I feel fine. Finally had a normal appetite this morning.

I realize it could happen anywhere in any country. All it takes is one food worker that didn't wash their hands. But once you've had it it's hard to return to the same place where you think you got it. The food wasn't that great in the first place so I don't feel like I'd be missing out on anything anyway.
Ill remember those meds and get some next time down to stock in the medicine cabinet, Glad you're feeling better Mis2810.
And to re-enforce what Hill Boy said, I'm very reluctant to eat out from June 15 to Oct, unless I buy/catch it and cook it, it just isn't worth it.
It only takes getting sick once to live by that.

AZRob

Well Known Member
Heck I better say my story also. We kept saying we wanted to try Al Capone pizza, so this summer we tried it for the first time. Pizzas and wings for all. My oldest daughter didn't even make it out of the place and had to up chuck, the rest of us made it back to the rental and I am soooo glad there was a restroom for everyone in the family. it lasted for 5 days, glade we ate there on the last day of vacation. It could of ruined our whole vacation if we ate there the first day. Now I know why the lights were so low you need a flashlight to read menu.

I agree with hill boy, he has a point about a lot of places don't keep the food cold. Or they know its bad already and they serve it anyway. But on a good note we ate on top of the hill at the El Capitan and the food was fresh and good as always.

Jungle Jim

Well Known Member
AZ....

You didn't mention the watered down drinks they serve at that pizza joint.

The first and last time we went there we ordered straight vodka on the rocks and their expensive grand seafood medley in a bread loaf. I called my waiter back to our table to let him know that someone forgot to put any vodka in our glasses. He said that we must be mistaken since he watched the bartender make the drinks himself. I said bring me the bottle and I'll pour one myself. He did as requested and I poured a shot on top of two ice cubes. Guess what? There was very little or no vodka in the bottle and he knew it. Of course I felt like making a scene, especially since the place was packed, but since I was already yelling just to communicate to my wife just two feet away I figured why bother. You are so right about the lighting but forgot to mention the blasting deafening speakers from the sports tv's all over that place that requires everyone to scream in order to talk.

JJ

ben21

Well Known Member
Fwiw I've had several good meals at Capones and a couple bad ones at Capitan. Can't beat the view from up there for drinks though.

As for the watering down of drinks, I couldn't say. Usually grab a few buckets of dos xx for the table. I think moral of the story is that pretty anywhere in town can have issues.

Jungle Jim

Well Known Member
One thing to always consider is that maybe it wasn't the food at all. Ever think about the vasa de agua they bring to the table or the heilo in your drink?

I've not had a puke or poop bout in RP since the 80's but know plenty who have. The most famous scoundrel of all "El Chino" with his two wheel cart at the Malecon, who I have mentioned before, actually told me once that he knew that a lot of people got sick from his food but is was "GOOD FOR THEM"! As it made em tuff, just like a Mexican!

Kinda reminds me when I lived in Iran, the death rate for children there was astronomical, totally due to their filthy atrocious and preventable hygienic habits. I was told many times that if a child makes to to five or six he will become a strong and healthy Eye-ran-ee person, not like the clean pale stupid Am-ree-kee infidels.

I've seen the local bottled water trucks that deliver the 5-gallon bottles all over town filling them up with a hose at the Pemex on Sinaloa in Mirador.

And that's a fact Jack!

JJ

AZRob

Well Known Member
We didn't even get a vasa of water. Didn't try any alcohol there, glad I didn't. Knock on wood Ben we never had bad food at Capitan. We wouldn't know any other good place to go. We should of just got little caesars. LOL and some cold beers.

HILL BOY

Well Known Member
Always kept lomotil in mexico and in Tucson just in case thank god I have not needed it in over 20yr. Maybe chino is right his food made me tough as well my old motto God made dirt dirt don't hurt

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk