A New Radar Trap outside of Ajo.....

The only "approved" speed limit sign in AZ is rectangular in shape.....plus there are requirements on how high off the ground the sign has to be mounted. I don't believe the ones right before the checkpoint meet the requirements.

BUT....do I have the time or money to fight the ticket in court, particularly the AJO Justice Court, where the JP is probably completely illiterate, and the fine may be paying his salary?:think::hairout:

JimMcG

On Monday there was, in fact, a deputy parked behind the national park entry sign, by the white 25mph sign in the approach to the first Border patrol checkpoint, heading north.

So crazy, used to just be the Border Patrol SUVs parked here and there after Why, and as a novice I was scared they had radars as well but since have learned to ignore, though I'm still just a few MPH over the posted limit. Either way, whether it's me or someone else is driving, I am ALWAYS adamant they do they lame 25mph creep up to the checkpoints and border. Let the idiots pass or tailgate. One stern warning 10 or 15 years ago was enough.

On Monday there was, in fact, a deputy parked behind the national park entry sign, by the white 25mph sign in the approach to the first Border patrol checkpoint, heading north.
That's when and where I got zapped....I've avoided their speed traps in Ajo for 25+ years!

Rhino

I came down yesterday morning and the guy in front of me got zapped just as he left the Mexican border checkpoint. bad for him; probably good for me!

Came down on friday...after Sells...we counted 12 Border Patrol...4 Pima Co Sheffifs (2 were parked coming into Why and leaving Why...3 Tribal Cops and 4 LE Park Rangers. One of the Park Rangers pulled me over for doing 70 in a 55 in front if the Vistor Center.

V

VacationVanessa

Thanks for the good info. Of course, I make the BF drive the Phoenix to Lukeville leg of the trip :D I don't ever recall there being a stop between Gila and Ajo. When did the start doing this?

Well, hell, so much for making it down there in no time flat.

mr.phx

Al Pastor Locator
Wasn't much in the way of 'overprotected' highway yesterday 5/31. However, AJO was locked down as if there was an Obama visit pending. Saw a pullover in north part of town and three units taking task. Poor kid. "Nice submachine" I was heard to exclaim... The 25 mph orange coned north of WHY area was not fortified. PS excellent green chile burros at the All American in WHY. Why Mexican? I dunno but goot!

Rocky Point Memorial Day 2011 260.jpg

Rocky Point Memorial Day 2011 258.jpg

Last edited:
My wife did the same thing a couple of months ago.....coasted in got hit for 21 in a 15. As an ex cop I personally think it fell into the chicken sh__ range

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
My wife did the same thing a couple of months ago.....coasted in got hit for 21 in a 15. As an ex cop I personally think it fell into the chicken sh__ range
I totally agree with your "chicken" assessment. That's absolute BS and nothing more than "revenue enhancement" on the part of the state/county/local yahoos.