ABOUT TIME, first place on grouper.

ABOUT TIME team: Adolfo Perez, Rick Hammer, Maribel Ruiz, Oscar Perez and Jose Acevedo.

We wend 3:45 min cruise to the reef at 11 miles/hr start fishing at 9:40 and we gat huck with a grouper at 11:05, after we try couple reef we head home early to make sure we make it on time. gat back at 4:20 and We fish only 3:20 hr, good to get at 91.6 lbs.
This is are video and soon will be in youtube with the intervew, sorry my english.[video=youtube;Wfi6TO2o_jw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wfi6TO2o_jw[/video]

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac
Rick and Adolpho, you guys are both friends of mine, I have never fished this tournament and probably never will, but I have fished alot of tournaments La paz, Cabo, Matzatlan, Topolobampo, San Carlos and Cholla in the tournaments we fish the only person that can touch the pole is the angler whose pole it is (in case its in a rocket launcher) or the person holding the pole when the fish hits, in other words if you have a tangled line or screwed up pole or reel,its your fish and your problem. The only time in the other tournaments somebody can help is when the fish is to the boat they can either gaff the fish or grab the leader and release it, if it wont make minimum weight for the tournament. Anyway I am not being smart, I was just wondering if or why this tournament is different and can 2 different anglers work on the same fish. (switch the pole over to another angler). Because I noticed one of the other anglers helping. In the other tournaments it would disqualify the fish. Im not saying you did anything wrong Im just asking.

Last edited:
H

hammer scuba

the rules are available on line , if you need some answers. i don't think any of the other anglers would question the video or our techniques. if it was up to me to get as many entries as possible i would have no rules . do what ever you want BIG FISH WINS. now that would be fun ! the pole was never switched aldofo set the boat up himself and caught the fish. he did a great job.

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac
the rules are available on line , if you need some answers. i don't think any of the other anglers would question the video or our techniques. if it was up to me to get as many entries as possible i would have no rules . do what ever you want BIG FISH WINS. now that would be fun ! the pole was never switched aldofo set the boat up himself and caught the fish. he did a great job.
I have just never seen it in a tournament. it's fine by me. But you have to remember the fish is the real star of the show and deserves a fighting chance, If you dont want rules start the World Wrestling and Fishing Federation and have tag team fishing, when the fish gets to be too much for somebody, tag out to the next guy. You need some kind of rules. I am glad you guys won and if that isn't one of the rules maybe it should be.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Bill, I hear you, but simply enough? It's not an IGFA event.

Like you, I've fished a number of tournaments where it's stated IGFA rules apply. And folks do get disqualified for something as simple as a mate accidentally touching the leader during the fight. Then again, you're talking high-stakes events like Bisbee's where several million dollars ride on the winning fish.

For what it is, the Grouper Tourney is a fine event. Simple enough without a lot of rules. You can even use a handline, if I'm not mistaken. Big fish takes it all. When the grouper get right around that 100 lb. mark, it's almost impossible to catch them on rod and reel anyway. They tear up tackle, bust lines... they eat your bait, fin their nose at you and swim away. I've lost several biggies and the average size of the ones we do manage to land is 70-80 lbs., so 91 is right there at that upper limit. Saw a 116 lb. caught in Lobos -- had a huge 5 lb. trigger fish in its belly when it was cleaned.

What does a grouper over 100 lbs. eat? Any damn thing it wants to! Congrats again, guys!

Team Work

its all about team work and you guys sure seem to have that, great job but remember rick for our bet you have to catch the big one

H

hammer scuba

there is still time art . i can't help being the guide. i like to see other people catch fish just as much as me . you can bet there will be a video when i do . is it ok if someone else touches the line or helps gaff it or baits my hook or drives the boat or do i have to do it all myself ? we are still going to angel island sun if you can swing it. we will be there until thurs. thanks everyone for your support.

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac
there is still time art . i can't help being the guide. i like to see other people catch fish just as much as me . you can bet there will be a video when i do . is it ok if someone else touches the line or helps gaff it or baits my hook or drives the boat or do i have to do it all myself ? we are still going to angel island sun if you can swing it. we will be there until thurs. thanks everyone for your support.
Aye yi yi, Rick The only tournaments I ever fished if anybody on board touched the line the pole or the reel the fish was disqualified. The fisherman whose turn it is needs to make sure the reel and the pole are ready. Its one on one, man against fish (and the fish usually wins) and its also a lot of team work (3-4 hours a day on the boat practicing the movements)until a fish is on, then its one on one, one man against one fish. We also fish the way shown in the video just not in tournaments, I also now understand its not a rule in this tournament. Again I am glad you guys won. And yes it is ok with me if someone touches your line or your pole and gaffs for you. Just not in the tournaments I fish, it wouldn't bother me but it would get the fish disqualified.

Last edited:
this is grouper fishing, thank god the igfa is not involved

I dont care Rick, if you hook it and need help bringing it up I understand

H

hammer scuba

love the comments . i know the fishing rules as well as any one. when you enter with us i will listen to your comments . until you pick a day with time restrictions to compete you are commenting from the peanut gallery. the part of the video you guys don't see is aldofo hooking the fish in the front of the boat and him and i arguing about it being gear stuck in the rocks . i soon learned that it was a big fish and we worked to get to the back of the boat to handle it . that's when the video starts. the hard work was over by then. still love you bill but this was not a marlin tournament. all i did was pick the rock, aldofo did the rest.

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac
love the comments . i know the fishing rules as well as any one. when you enter with us i will listen to your comments . until you pick a day with time restrictions to compete you are commenting from the peanut gallery. the part of the video you guys don't see is aldofo hooking the fish in the front of the boat and him and i arguing about it being gear stuck in the rocks . i soon learned that it was a big fish and we worked to get to the back of the boat to handle it . that's when the video starts. the hard work was over by then. still love you bill but this was not a marlin tournament. all i did was pick the rock, aldofo did the rest.
If you notice after Stuart, explained I quit commenting, until you commented again, I am glad you won. You say you still love me, but do you love me enough to hold my pole?

Last edited:

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac
I will fish the tourny next year with you, if there aren't any rules about who touches what, I'm gonna hire some hillbilly's from Arkansas to go a noodlin' when the fish gets stuck. Is noodlin' legal?

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac
I will enter with you next year. If there aren't any rules about who touches what and how, can I bring some hillbillies to go a noodlin' for them thar grouper. www.okienoodling.com www.catfishgrabblers.com Rick most of all respect your elder's, I dont want you pounding on me at the marina.

Last edited:

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac
sorry, about the double post, I had a phone call and thought I stopped the first one. Thats what happens to smart asses