Air Dolphin

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
We were fishing on the Caballo reef back in June and saw a huge pod of porpoises off to the SW, and you would have sworn they were having a contest to see who could jump the highest as they rolled along...

they were all jumping as they went, and every so often, one of the juveniles would come shooting out of the water almost vertically. It was hilarious to watch.

MIRAMAR

I have- we were sitting outside of Flavios, and two dolphins jumped completely out of the water in mirror images. It looked like they had training at Sea World. Just didn't have my camera waiting for the show.

I've seen them jump out of the water in San Carlos a few times but only once in Penasco, when we had a beach house in Las Conchas a few years back and our eyes were on the ocean most of the day.

I've seen many dolphin jumping out of the water and also have photos of them but they were swimming forward and only coming out of the water about 2 or 3 feet.... this is my favorite because this dolphin was just playing and having a good time jumping...

I've seen many dolphin jumping out of the water and also have photos of them but they were swimming forward and only coming out of the water about 2 or 3 feet.... this is my favorite because this dolphin was just playing and having a good time jumping...
Mark...I've seen that, but never come that far out of the water...like the California dolphin (between Long Beach and Catalina).....now those are jumpers!!!

Now this is just my opinion but.... I got to thinking that when dolphin jump like this it may be an attempt to knock parasites off of their bodies... the impact of their body contacting the waters surface may be enough to shake those little buggers...

or maybe they're just happy and jumping for joy....