Any Corvina being caught ?

rplarry

Well Known Member
Anybody have recent reports of Corvina being caught around Las Conchas, Encanto, or the estuaries?

Would it be accurate to say that the huge Corvina hauls from shore have reduced dramatically the past few years ?

I seems like this forum has much less activity as well, but was hoping some of you fisherman might have some in-shore reports or updates , especially regarding Corvina reports

Thanks for any info you all may have.

jerry

Well Known Member
On and off I understand but down in general...the trawler fleets near shore in huge numbers ( legal and illegally) put a dent in the numbers but this new ban could turn things around.
On the forum... people have turned to Facebook....but if you want any discouraging words on the RP bubble,the coming uptick in the cartel issues,the Sonoran policing crisis.....not so much..........beer,shrimp,condo pushers rule..

surfcaster

Tom the Surfcaster
I am heading to Santo Tomas for the October new moon. I will post some pics if I catch fish. We got some nice ones last June, but not huge numbers.

Kelney

Well Known Member
Anymore I catch more grouper from shore than I do Corvina . Grouper hang in the rocks and Corvina are prime to being netted amongst the many nets being set.

Parrothead Pescador

Experienced a smokin hot corvina bite last Friday 10/12 @ La Pinta estuary. I kept eight and released 20+ in less than 2 hours. My amigo Mike was releasing number 32 when I left to prepare dinner. Sorry, no pics as my phone was @ mi casa. They ran 2-3 lbs and the eight I filleted were all males.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Experienced a smokin hot corvina bite last Friday 10/12 @ La Pinta estuary. I kept eight and released 20+ in less than 2 hours. My amigo Mike was releasing number 32 when I left to prepare dinner. Sorry, no pics as my phone was @ mi casa. They ran 2-3 lbs and the eight I filleted were all males.
That's the way the bite used to be there for me (when you caught the tide just right). Could fill a 5 gallon bucket in a matter of minutes with some nice eating fish! I need to do that again soon; it's been awhile.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Don't know about his strategy, but mine would work like this:

Get there at low tide and mentally map out all the mud reefs. The corvina will run along those as the tide comes in.

Start fishing with squid in the channel. Back up the beach as the tide comes in. Release all the small sand bass, triggers, and sting rays. Keep fishing bait until the first corvina hit.

Switch to a 1/2 oz. chrome Kastmaster, single hook, white bucktail. Cast it out over the mud reefs and work it back quickly. Boom! Fish on!

Remove fish, release or in the bucket, rinse and repeat until I had a full bucket.

Clean fish, drink beer, then go cook up some fresh corvina.

mondone

Whitecaps
Don't know about his strategy, but mine would work like this:

Get there at low tide and mentally map out all the mud reefs. The corvina will run along those as the tide comes in.

Start fishing with squid in the channel. Back up the beach as the tide comes in. Release all the small sand bass, triggers, and sting rays. Keep fishing bait until the first corvina hit.

Switch to a 1/2 oz. chrome Kastmaster, single hook, white bucktail. Cast it out over the mud reefs and work it back quickly. Boom! Fish on!

Remove fish, release or in the bucket, rinse and repeat until I had a full bucket.

Clean fish, drink beer, then go cook up some fresh corvina.
Ditto, except I've done better with this Z-man combo over the Kastmaster's:

Z-man Pearl Blue Glimmer.PNG

Z-man Pearl Eye Jighead.PNG

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Ditto, except I've done better with this Z-man combo over the Kastmaster's:

View attachment 16530

View attachment 16531
I gave up on rubber, but yeah, cocahoe minnows on a lead head like that work... 'ceptin for the damn little triggerfish that LOVE to shred them! Don't have to screw around replacing rubber baits with a Kastmaster. Just have to learn the right retrieve on the Kastmaster and they can't resist that shiny wobble.

By the way, we use the Big Hammer version of those out by the 22. The T-bass love 'em, too! Like the 6 or 8 inch size ones.

mondone

Whitecaps
I gave up on rubber, but yeah, cocahoe minnows on a lead head like that work... 'ceptin for the damn little triggerfish that LOVE to shred them! Don't have to screw around replacing rubber baits with a Kastmaster. Just have to learn the right retrieve on the Kastmaster and they can't resist that shiny wobble.

By the way, we use the Big Hammer version of those out by the 22. The T-bass love 'em, too! Like the 6 or 8 inch size ones.
Yep, I don't use them over the Encanto reef because of the triggers ripping them apart, but in the estuary for corvina and halibut they are great.

JoseAz

Well Known Member
We took our little aluminum boat off las conchas to the rocks at the mouth of the estuary Saturday.

So fun catching pompano didn't stray to far. Caught one corvina.
As soon as the lure hit the water the pompano attacked....very exciting

We met another guy out there who had done it a bunch of times. 2 days earlier they got into a school of corvina and he said he caught one on over 20 consecutive casts.