Anyone feel the earthquake?

3 earthquakes hit within a few minutes of each other this morning near Santa Isabel, Baja California, measuring 5.0, 5.8, and 6.9 That's near the Bahia de Los Angeles (BOL) in Baja. Around 11:00 AM. At least one of them was felt in San Diego, Los Angeles and Phoenix-- how about you? Did you feel anything?

Yowza, that was a BIG one. :!:

Roberto

I heard that someone out at Las Palomas Condos reported that the lights were swinging. I felt nothing in the Mirador. Had 4 calls from the US checking on things.

I'm not there right now, was just wondering if it caused any trouble there. Sounds like all is OK, and that makes me happy.

Kmbphx

What's the latest regarding a possible sunami? Any offical word? How far from Penasco is Bahia Los Angeles?

We have property in LaJ olla, right next door to Encanto, any one on those beaches
feel the earthquake?

wow my buddy Mark and I went snorkeling this morning... but it was before they hit...

watch the video in the pictures section...

Kmbphx: No worries about a tsunami, according to all the authorities who know about such things. Off the top of my head I'd guess BOLA is close to being straight across the Sea of Cortez from Bahia Kino in Sonora, north of San Carlos and south of Puerto Libertad.

Last edited:

Terry C

Playa Encanto email I got
I am in Encanto at my house and I was on the phone. I thought I was dizzy or something my desk felt like it was moving and a wind chime I have in the house was moving, but I thought it caught a breeze. So I guess I did feel the earth quake. My house is on the high road, the last house on the right going into La Jolla.

InkaRoads

cronopiador
the latest report I heard, from a local radio station, the epicenter was between isla tiburon and another island, I do not remember the name, in front of Bahia Kino, I was working around the trailer moving to hard to feel anything, however when I try to get the cat out to play she would not even come out of her cave, you know how animals are about thing like that, was on the beach after the last one around 1pm and the surf was fine, yesterday seem it had biger waves.

Last edited:
Great map source, Terry. Thanks. Looks like they were a bit further north than Bahia de Kino, but the 6.9 one was closer to the Sonoran coast than the Baja coast.

Just curious if you notice a big change tonight in these tide predictions:

2009-08-03 12:51 EDT 0.43 feet Low Tide
2009-08-03 19:26 EDT 5.81 feet High Tide

Checked the San Carlos mssg boards but nothing there yet.

Terry C

An email I got
There has not been any Tsunamis. We heard that there was some larger waves in San Carlos area, however no noticeable change in the Rocky Point waves

jerry

There were four tremors, 3 in the sea between Angel Island and Tiburon Island and one on the east coast of Baja at the point nearest to Angel Island, all about 140 miles from Santo Tomas. The largest one occured at 11:00 local time 6.9 and the second largest at 11:40 AM. Both were felt at Santo Tomas but caused no damage. Earth movement of 1-2 inches was observed and it was difficult to stand ( similar to a moving ship deck). The lamps above the kitchen tables in lots 39 and 40 were swinging quite a bit. The tremos lasted about 5-7 seconds.

Chipo, habian 4

Roberto

Ok, we've had sickness, economic despair, violence and earthquakes, I'm watching for the plague of locusts!

We were standing in line checking out of Las Palomas-Phase I when it hit. We heard the glass in the windows and doors shake and looked up to see the giant chandeliers rocking back and forth. People weren't entirely sure what was going on as they were coming out of their offices. Within 2 minutes everyone in the lobby was told to evacuate and stand at the entrance of the parking lot away from the structure. We noticed employees going room to room evacuating people. I guess they got the all clear signal because it wasn't too long (30 minutes?) before we were all allowed back in. Spoke to a woman who was on the 14th floor and she said it was like someone shoved the room/chandeliers really hard.

Made for an interesting experience and brought back memories of growing up in California!!! :roll: