Anyone going out deep sea fishing this weekend?

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
WOW! Makes mine look like a kiddie toy. (lousy photo, only one I have of it now)

View attachment 5904
Naa, I just have a better foto. I see that you have a Scotty Rod holder. I think Im going to get one of those for trolling so I can have the rod in sight in front of me while paddling. You can't tell when you hook up while trolling and I've a couple times dragged the fish a couple hundred yards before turning around and realizing that I had hooked up. I also forgot to mention the anchor trolley that I have on the left side of the boat for the 3lb claw anchor I have.

mondone

Whitecaps
Naa, I just have a better foto. I see that you have a Scotty Rod holder. I think Im going to get one of those for trolling so I can have the rod in sight in front of me while paddling. You can't tell when you hook up while trolling and I've a couple times dragged the fish a couple hundred yards before turning around and realizing that I had hooked up. I also forgot to mention the anchor trolley that I have on the left side of the boat for the 3lb claw anchor I have.
Mine is a 12 footer and came with these:

• Tankwell w/ Bungee
  • Paddle Parks
  • Flush Mount Rod Holder
  • Scotty Baitcaster Rod Holder
  • 64 lb Anchor Ki

some photos off the web:
Perception Sport Pescador 12 Angler Kayak.jpgPerception Sport Pescador 12 Angler Kayak 3.jpgPerception Sport Pescador 12 Angler Kayak 2.jpg

One thing I need to get is a kayak cart. In Encanto, it can be a long way to carry to the water from the casa at lower tides. I wish I could think of a way to rig something up to attach it to one of my quad ATV's to tow it down to water.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life

• Tankwell w/ Bungee
  • Paddle Parks
  • Flush Mount Rod Holder
  • 64 lb Anchor Ki
some photos off the web:
View attachment 5905View attachment 5906View attachment 5907

One thing I need to get is a kayak cart. In Encanto, it can be a long way to carry to the water from the casa at lower tides. I wish I could think of a way to rig something up to attach it to one of my quad ATV's to tow it down to water.

I really like the foot braces, wish my kayak had better foot wells, that's the one negative of my yak. Before spending a bunch of money on a kayak cart, I'd do a google search. There are quite a few kayak fishing forums with DIY kayak carts that Ive seen for fairly cheap. Most made out of pvc but there are plenty of DIY designs on the internet if you do a google search for either DIY kayak cart or just search for kayak fishing forums and most of these forums have DIY sections or RIGGING sections with how to's and photos. A kayak cart is irrelevant to me because Im disabled so I have no need for one but there are many DIY designs for cheap that Ive seen on the net.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life

• Tankwell w/ Bungee
  • Paddle Parks
  • Flush Mount Rod Holder
  • 64 lb Anchor Ki
some photos off the web:
View attachment 5905View attachment 5906View attachment 5907

You might try asking Jerry too because I know he uses something with his quads in Santo Tomas.

Heck, why not just tie a rope to the yak and drag it down with your ATV. Sand won't hurt it.

I made the PVC cart. My suggestion is use the widest wheels you can find (for the sand) and go for thicker walled PVC at least 1-1/4" outside diameter. Otherwise it's too flimsy.
P6070031.jpg

Last edited:
I'm going to go with one of the Pirahnna Max series fish finders from Humminbird for the kayak. Most kayak fishermen are using the Pirahnha Max 160. I think a couple of places in Phoenix had it on sale for $69 which is a pretty good deal considering it's going on a kayak. I was thinking about splurging and getting the Humminbird Pirahnna Max 167i which is the same as the 160 but it has built in GPS and it goes for $129. I dont know if it's worth it though, it's only for the kayak and if there's not any numbers within paddle distance than why even bother? Plus the added cost of the dry box and 12v battery that I have to get to run it, puts the cost upwards of $160 total vs. the same unit without GPS including everything for around $100. Mainly, I just want to know water depth, water temp and what the bottom looks like. I'm still recovering from some health complications and I have a couple of more weeks to decide! Until then, I can only dream of corvina and tight lines! Fish on!
I have the 170 with no GPS. It's great. Runs forever on 8 AA batteries. If I wanted a GPS I guess I'd bring my phone. It would be nice if you found a honey hole.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
I have the 170 with no GPS. It's great. Runs forever on 8 AA batteries. If I wanted a GPS I guess I'd bring my phone. It would be nice if you found a honey hole.

How do you run the 8 AA setup? Do you have a schematic? Im horrible with electric. Do you know about how many hours you get out of 8 AA? Also, btw, I stumbled upon that Arizona Kayak Fishing group on Facebook and I saw that you're a member as well. Hope to meet and fish with some of those guys this summer!

mondone

Whitecaps
Heck, why not just tie a rope to the yak and drag it down with your ATV. Sand won't hurt it.

I made the PVC cart. My suggestion is use the widest wheels you can find (for the sand) and go for thicker walled PVC at least 1-1/4" outside diameter. Otherwise it's too flimsy.
View attachment 5913
Yeah, not wild about the dragging idea, especially when the manufacturer warns against it in the owner manual. I was thinking something like this might be good, but they do seem overpriced (~$100):

I'll check into some homemades first.

Hooch

Pretty much just copied this one with PVC i'd have to show it to you, mine needs bigger wheels I used lawnmower wheels from harbor freight and should have used the fatter ones that you inflate but its still better than dragging it with no wheels. But for my wheels I used PVC endcaps with a hole drilled through them and just bolted the wheels to each endcap then put the purple glue **** on.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Click on the first link provided under google image search and you have a plethora of DIY kayak carts. The only limitation is personal preference. Good luck! Sometimes it's more fun to do it yourself and much more rewarding! Customizing and rigging a kayak is half the FUN!

How do you run the 8 AA setup? Do you have a schematic? Im horrible with electric. Do you know about how many hours you get out of 8 AA? Also, btw, I stumbled upon that Arizona Kayak Fishing group on Facebook and I saw that you're a member as well. Hope to meet and fish with some of those guys this summer!
There's a battery pack you can buy at any Radio Shack. It's just a plastic thing that holds 8 AA's in series to produce 12V power for the fish finder.
We'll be down in May. It'd be great to hook up with a fellow kayak fisherman.

Hooch

I'm just happy when I turn around and grab my fishing pole without flipping the kayak after paddling all the way out there. To me that's just as good as catching a fish

mondone

Whitecaps
DSCN0829.jpgsW

Went out on the yak today off Encanto and all I got was this little guy. Don't even know what it is?????