Anything going on the weekend of May 21St???

Hey Evevyone,
New to this blog, but already overwhelmed.... wow... so much info on food and everything else. Going to PP for the 1st time only for a weekend... Checking into HotelRockypoint on the 21 an leaving on Sunday 5/23. I really want to lay on teh beach as much as I could, but still want to do something fun, that is not gonna take all day and still have to go out and eat:). Can someone suggest places & things to do??? Will be driving there from Phoenix, but don't feel like driving :cruisin:while there (and while drinking:party:)..
I just missed the Fans of Rocky Point bash last w/e... I wish I knew and went then... We love mexican food, are husband/wife in our mid 30's (not bringing our daughter wiht us) and enjoy music, any good authetic food and lots of different things....

Any suggestions are welcome. THank you all in advance:bunny:

V

VacationVanessa

You'll love Penasco Del Sol (Hotel Rocky Point). It is lovely. Head over to Max's for breakfast in the morning. It's just across the street. There is beach access from the hotel so ti should be easy getting down there. One of my favorite places for carne asada is right on the corner of Calle 13 where you turn down to go to the hotel. It's called Anita y Jesus. Love them. On the other side of the road on Calle 13 is the Tequila Factory in the big blue multi story building. Can't miss it. go in there and see Fernando and have him do a tasing for you. You will not regret it. Be sure to tip him well and tell him I said hi!

Pollo Lucas is pretty tasty and right off the main road close to the hotel. You have to head down to the malecon. Lots of great places to eat over there. You can take a taxi down there and just walk around. Everyone has a favorite restaurant down there. throw a rock and you'll hit three of them.

If you're into night life, Manny's always provides hilarious people watching. It's where the people who got drunk and bought stupid crapon the beach go to show off their fine purchases like metal Viking helmets. Good times. Always fun to be had. Taxi should be two bucks a person to get there. The best thing about PDS is the vast amount of taco places open late by the hotel. :)

Toward the toher end of town is Changos and JJ's Cantina. Both very very fun but far. You'll pay about 20 bucks for a cab to JJ's. 12 to Changos. Chango's usually has live music and fun people.

Thank you VacationVanessa

Thank you Vanessa for your super quick response. Lots of good info, we will def. try the places close to the hotel. Thanks:bunny:

AZ ROB

+1 for Max's order the bloody mary hot if you dare.... Just ate at Anita Y Jesus food was great no complaints... and Chango's is always the last place we hit the Riband is always great and be sure to order the Margarita in the take home glass makes a great bird bath when you get back to Phx.... I am also new to the board and to Rocky Point but I seem to find myself down here every couple weeks...

You HAVE to go to the Tequila Factory for some tequila tasting.....Fernando is the best.....(I'm sure a nice tip would be appreciated considering the free booze you'll get!!!)

It's in the tall blue building on Benito Juarez, just before the tracks...same building as the new Tourism Office. Get a group together to go, and it is a BLAST!!!!

Last edited:
Thank you AZ ROB

Awesome info... for sure wouldn't dare the hot bloody mary:stir:.... but on the other hand, I may have a few take home glasses from the Margaritas. Are there any places where you can dance??? It seems there is a few :thumbsup:to drink ... but I did not see anything on dancing... just checking in case we in the mood :bunny:... My hubby also likes regular lake/river fishing, but has never done sea fising... can someone recomend sometning not to risky... amybe I'll go along too:gofishing:... I'd like to surprise him once there..

Awesome info... for sure wouldn't dare the hot bloody mary:stir:.... but on the other hand, I may have a few take home glasses from the Margaritas. Are there any places where you can dance??? It seems there is a few :thumbsup:to drink ... but I did not see anything on dancing... just checking in case we in the mood :bunny:... My hubby also likes regular lake/river fishing, but has never done sea fising... can someone recomend sometning not to risky... amybe I'll go along too:gofishing:... I'd like to surprise him once there..
Just about every watering hole has room to do some dancing....Manny's, SandBar, Changos, the places along the Malecon.

Check with Mark (Seadweller on here) for some recommendations for fishing....he and his wife (Barb) book a lot of the trips.

Thank you rockyptjoe... I don't know where I'm gonna get a group togher.... as it is just me and my hubby going... but we will def. go.... ;)

Hahaha... hope so... ;)... Have been wanting to go for a looong time... Finaly after so many years leaving in Phoenix... it is a shame not to go when it is so close... I know already from all you guys in this blog that I am gonna like it :).... Thanks again for all the info!

V

VacationVanessa

Total agreement on the dancing. It happens lots of places. Manny's is a fun place to get the groove on. They play fun music and thee s always a good cast of characters on the floor. I'm not kidding when I saw every type of person goes to Manny's and all has fun together.

Dancing at Chango's is fun too. The Pink Cadillac has been dead the last few times I have been down there which is very unfortunate (anyone know the story there? Is everyone out at Sandy Beach?) but if you catch people over there, it can be very fun to dance over there and Rene at the bar makes a perfect Rum and Coke.

Sunset Cantina right across from the hotel also has some dance space!

You're going to have a ball. We want a full report when you come back!

InkaRoads

cronopiador
the last few times that I have been at the Pink Cadillac it has been dead, or if there is a group and looks like the fun is going to start, they decided to leave, maybe the music? hard to say

Manny's it is then for one of the nights ;) and maybe Cahngo's the next. Does anyone know if there is a free WIFI at he hotel (PenascoDelSol) or anywhere else by any chance, or may be an internet cafe or something (willing to pay a reasonable price)? As much as I do not want to bring my laptop, I may have to, considering we'll have to turn off our phones to avoid roaming charges. I may have to make a couple of Skype calls and do not like to be cut off without any type of comunication while in RP. If anyone knows, the info will be appreciated :).... And I will provide a full report for sure... I am gonna be too excited to share with you all :)!

AZ ROB

Is Barb the same one we met up with at Sonoran Grille friday night if it is she knows alot about this town... I dont remember much about our conversation due to the quantity of Margaritas later in the evening.

V

VacationVanessa

PDS has free wi-fi in the lobby. Another tip: when you check in, ask them for a room with a sliding glass door to the pool. It makes life so much easier, especially since they don't give you a hard time if you make a cocktail in your room and bring it out to the pool in a plastic cup. With those rooms we have found we can also pick up the wi-fi signal from the room. Also easy to grab a poolside cabana in the morning.

Max's cafe across from the hotel has WiFi...
Max's used to have a computer setup up for use (free). I recall that they even had a phone hooked up to make a free phone call (Skype or MagicJack???). Haven't noticed lately if it's still there.

Several of the bars on the Malecon (including BooBar) have wifi that's unlocked. I think Latitude 31 does too. On the Mirador, the SandBar has free wifi, as does Capones. The Mirador Hotel has wifi, but the last time I checked, it was locked.

Does anyone know if the Baja Cantina has wifi?

Thank you Vanessa and all for the WIFI info and the tips!!! We will be staying in a Master Suite (Thank you Groupon!!! :)), so I don't know if the sliding door for it will be an option, but I'll sure ask.... And will make sure to chekc the tortilla fest. and see how they make the one for the Guiness record :)...