Appreciate some help

VonDog

El Pescador
Might have some time to bring the boat down for some fishing next week and would appreciate any help. I know where most of the reefs are but would like to know the coords for the 51 (PLEASE). I almost followed probably one of you out there this last year but got flagged down by a broken ponga and had to tow him back in. Went to the 12 an 15 as it was getting later then I'd like so I stuck close to home. Didn't have much luck.

Also, where can I make bait? Seems like I usually catch the small rock bass in abundance and very few grunts etc. on the sabikis. Any tips on rigs and areas would be much appreciated. Thanks!

VonDog

El Pescador
I know how sacred that info is so forgive me - I think I had too many Dos XX last night when I posted.

B

bahiatrader

Stuart was gracious enough to give the coordinates of 51 to me several years ago, and I live by the fisherman's code. I've never passed them on to anyone.

playaperro

El Pirata
Never trust the dog.....
____ 30 37 .023 x 113 54 .383 = 52 miles out
____ 30 36 .584 x 113 54 .270 = 52 / ...​

VonDog

El Pescador
Thanks! I really appreciate it! I'll be down in RP later this week but have to tie up some loose end before getting the boat in the water. I'll for sure be fishing Fri, Sat, and Sun. Anyone else going down this weekend? Would like to meet some of you guys or Gals.

playaperro

El Pirata
I got that from HAPPYs posts if you go to page 15 you will see it, If you look for them he has most of the reefs listed.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
You'll be sitting on the beach drinking Pacifico and watching the waves crash. Yes, crash, not gently lapping the beach. The 51 is a long way out there on a good day. Extremely dangerous and miserable trip on a bad day. Just sayin'...

Buoy's predicting yellow flag conditions Thursday thru Sunday. NNW winds 18-27 knots, seas at a constant 5-6 ft. No bueno!

:boat:

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
You'll be sitting on the beach drinking Pacifico and watching the waves crash. Yes, crash, not gently lapping the beach. The 51 is a long way out there on a good day. Extremely dangerous and miserable trip on a bad day. Just sayin'...

Buoy's predicting yellow flag conditions Thursday thru Sunday. NNW winds 18-27 knots, seas at a constant 5-6 ft. No bueno!

:boat:

No... Really?

Wind blowing in Rocky Point...? Never happens.

I was all lined up to head down on Thursday and then fish Friday and Saturday, but Stuart's right- the weather looks no bueno for fishing this weekend, so I will be towing my Skipjack over to Dana Point to do a sea trial with a prospective buyer... Wish me luck that I return to AZ with cash in hand and minus one boat!

Oh, and I think Happy's coordinates above are on an area that is generally referred to as the 53, and not the 51, but hey, all the "common names" for these fishing spots are ambiguous....

There are at least five 22 mile reefs that I am aware of, and they are all 5-10 miles apart :)

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
Also, where can I make bait? Seems like I usually catch the small rock bass in abundance and very few grunts etc. on the sabikis. Any tips on rigs and areas would be much appreciated. Thanks!

You can make bait just about anywhere on Sabiki's (even inside the harbor :))

I prefer the smaller size 14 sabiki's with the red head and the rainbow flashabou hackle. I have brought up single lines with 5 different species on them in the past.

I assume you have a fishfinder? if so- then swing left out of the Harbor, run around Whale Hill until you are right off Miramar (look for Manny's bar) and turn right and head out on 180 about a mile or 2 and start watching your graph for large "blobs" - they will be probably be sardines, flatiron herring, or mackerel- drop your sabikis into them and load up. The herring croak almost immediately in the livewell, so just throw them on ice. Smaller sardines and Macks will live all day if you don't overload the livewell.

If there are dolphins in the area, then don't even bother stopping- just move on and keep searching for another school on your sonar.

There is a reef on 180 about 15.5 miles out that is also a good bait spot to hit on your way south to the deeper reefs.

Now, the real question is "Who can stop the wind from blowing"?

VonDog

El Pescador
All good info and Thanks! If its too bad out there I won't go too far but 5-6 chop never stopped me before. Safety first! I found a few spots a few years ago that I had some luck on and will probably try them again. I only get a few chances a year and this is one of them so I'll make the most of it. Plus, like Stuart said - "Sitting on the beach drinking Pacificos" doesn't sound bad either.