Best Cell phone carrier from the U.S. for Rocky Point?

Hello all, about to change my phone carrier and since I spend more time in Rocky Point I was wondering who has the best plan for calling and texting back to the US from Rocky Point.

Landshark

T-Mobile Offers unlimited international data & text in over 120 countries and destinations, at no extra charge, Mexico included. Seems like calls are .35/min with my plan.

jerry

T-Mobile Offers unlimited international data & text in over 120 countries and destinations, at no extra charge, Mexico included. Seems like calls are .35/min with my plan.
Problem with Tmobile is they push you on movie star towers even if telcel is way better..,this could get you killed on the water...In Santo Tomas movie star sucks and they still keep telcel locked

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
This could get you killed.......omg are you serious? find a place in your life you dont have to bang on the negative...... good grief dude you live to be 70-or 80? get a grip and life....cell phones won't cost you your life - that is just beyond the pale. The telcel cartel wants to kill Americans in Mexican waters....what a story that would be.... lol just funny and intensely sad. Move on my pal, move on......

jerry

This could get you killed.......omg are you serious? find a place in your life you dont have to bang on the negative...... good grief dude you live to be 70-or 80? get a grip and life....cell phones won't cost you your life - that is just beyond the pale. The telcel cartel wants to kill Americans in Mexican waters....what a story that would be.... lol just funny and intensely sad. Move on my pal, move on......
Easy van man...the issue is the crooks at telcel ( and like many Mexican companies it is anti consumer) rig the T-Mobile deal in there favor.This could get you killed as in the case of an accident on some of the Caborca coast or out in a boat with a problem your phone will not work.At the same time the guy with say a ATT go phone is allowed on telcel and does not end up lying next to his ATV in the back county wishing he was not a T-Mobile customer.

Sonora

Lefties like Jerry are full of anti business conspiracy theories. They support Big Government which is actually worse for the working man.

Landshark

Problem with Tmobile is they push you on movie star towers even if telcel is way better..,this could get you killed on the water...In Santo Tomas movie star sucks and they still keep telcel locked
I have noticed that. A few years back I got Telcel most of the time and Moviestar occasionally. Now the opposite and Moviestar isn't as good.

jerry

Lefties like Jerry are full of anti business conspiracy theories. They support Big Government which is actually worse for the working man.
Thanks for putting me in a box Carlos Slim....Telcel is a evil corporation if there ever was one but unlike you and Mr. Sunshine Russ I am a actual customer that has been using Telcels overpriced plans and for the last 2 years the T-Mobile Mexico service.....I have spent hours ( well maybe 3) on the line with tech and special problems department...the bottom line is telcel just lies to the T-Mobile engineers about signals..I am providing advice from a user what are you providing Teaturd

In Mexico T-Mobile costs me 20 cents per minute and works most places I've used it. Texts and 3g data is free, I also use Google voice to make wi fi calls for 5 cents per minute.
On real busy weekends sometimes you will have to wait for the system to unclog.

If US cell services when traveling in places where services were sketchy caused me concern, I would subscribe to a sat phone system.
Since fear isn't a main cocern in my travels, I will just use my US based T-Mobile service.

dmcauley

I use AT&T and just like many I get picked up frequently by movie star and even though it doesn't change the tel-cel rate it is not as convenient. Most of the time I get the tel cel connection but lately I've been getting moviestar more frequently.

Sonora

Thanks for putting me in a box Carlos Slim....Telcel is a evil corporation if there ever was one but unlike you and Mr. Sunshine Russ I am a actual customer that has been using Telcels overpriced plans and for the last 2 years the T-Mobile Mexico service.....I have spent hours ( well maybe 3) on the line with tech and special problems department...the bottom line is telcel just lies to the T-Mobile engineers about signals..I am providing advice from a user what are you providing Teaturd
This Teaturd uses Telcel when in Mexico and is very pleased with the service and my plan gives me low cost calling to the states. Is there room for competition......Yes definitely.

JayT

I'm a big fan of T-Mobile because the free international data and text, which used to get expensive for me with AT&T. The voice rates are much cheaper too. I love not having to worry about roaming settings and finding wifi to get emails, etc. Coverage and service has been fine.

ben21

Dan... Just remember that while T-Mobile is definitely best for Mexico travel, it's clearly a step behind Verizon as far as coverage in the US. I work in telecom and T-Mobile doesn't exactly have the best reputation as far as investment in their network.

Dan... Just remember that while T-Mobile is definitely best for Mexico travel, it's clearly a step behind Verizon as far as coverage in the US. I work in telecom and T-Mobile doesn't exactly have the best reputation as far as investment in their network.
I wouldn't say a whole step behind.
T-Mobile's coverage is better than Verizon in some places and Verizon's is better in others. It all depends on where you are.
T-Mobile's coverage wasn't as good 4 years ago when I switched compared to coming from Verizon, but now it's much better.
Yes they are still playing catch up.
If T-Mob has 95% of the coverage and is 40% less per month that is a no brainer.
I have 8 phones on my plan, 1 line has unlimited data and 7 lines with 2.5gb per month each, I pay $175 per month, yes that's 8 lines.
And my international usage costs are minimal.
I have friends who are paying $130 per month for 2 lines with some data with Verizon. Go figure.
If people are so addicted to their phones and can't deal with not being connected 24/7, Go with what works.
I can turn off my phone and not miss anything many hours a day.;)

jerry

If you go toward Desemboque avoid Tmobile....telcel is locked and movie star is weak

Last edited:
I use Verizon, and on the Mexican plan for $20 a month get 1000 minutes in Mexico. I don't know if they still have the plan. Signal is good and it does switch between TelCel and the other carrier there. Have to have time in the states tho, as we go up to Yuma and get stateside minutes in there.

T-Mobile is doing it again, starting in mid July if you are on the simple choice, pre and post paid plans you will be able to use your phones
in Mexico and Canada for no extra fees.
Free calls, texting and 3G/4G data (4G if it's been implemented on the local carriers) up to your plans limit at no additional costs.

We will see how this works out, because I know on busy weekends RP's local networks capacity are clogged up due to the lack of bandwidth
maybe some additional capacity will open up for everyone.
And RP is on T-Mobiles 4G list,

http://explore.t-mobile.com/3countryplan?clickid=xr7Vw-w6QynSVgqV1FQhDVjPUkX2gGQEESKhz80&cmpid=WTR_AF_AQ_PR_189313&irpid=10078&iradid=189313&irgwc=1

In case you are wondering, No, I don't work for T-Mobile only a satisfied customer for 4 years.