Best place to get Mexican car insurance

mel150

Hi- all, I will want to get annual Mexican insurance next time I come through. Is it cost-effective just to get insurance from one of the places by the road in Ajo or Why? Or should I shop around? We're coming through early on a Thursday morning- if we go to one of the roadside places, will there likely be a long wait? Thanks- any advice or recommendations will be welcomed!

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
portugalinsurance.com. They are the cheapest in town and have been there for at least 20 years. I use them to insure both my Jeep and my trailer. They have 2 ofcs in town, the one I use is on Benito Juarez (the main drag) and Simon Morua, southeast corner. You can do it online and print out your policy. I've never had a claim, knock on wood, but they are good people.

Can't comment on auto claims through Portugal Insurance...but a friend of mine had her trailer insured thru them, and when she had a fire in it, it took forever to get the claim settled. Fortunately they're local, and she was able to beat on their door every time she came down.

Having had an accident in RP a couple of years ago, I now look at the coverage in terms of what the policy covers when it comes to labor rates. You will pay a bit more, but find one that reimburses you at US rates (or nearly US rates), instead of Mexican rates, if you do need collision repairs. The last couple of years, I've been buying online. The policy is issued on the spot, and you print it at home.

The company I've used is at http://gotmexico.com

They usually have 3-4 Mexican companies that they have listed....if you go thru them, get one of the "Extended" policies....they're the ones that give you the higher labor rates

C

cactusamigo

Used to carry my homeowners and U.S. car insurance with a local high profile agent. I had a burglary claim, and was paid with a personal check, not a check issued by the underwriter. I was very suspicious about this. I wonder if I would ever had been paid if I didn't have a Mexican National taking care of my property at that time. I frequently received periodic mid-year renewal notices while my policy was still current. When I took these notices to his office, the secretary tore them up. I later found out that my U.S. auto insurance was not valid. A resident American friend had the same agent for his Mexican auto insurance. He was involved in an auto accident, only to be told that "Mexican insurance is only for Mexicans".

If you are a U.S. resident with periodic travel to Mexico, I recommend ADA VIS GLOBAL for auto insurance. They will write a policy on your driver's license for anything that you drive in Mexico for $83 per year, including "legal protection".You can pay them over the phone with a credit card, and they will send you your policy over the Internet as an e-mail attachment. They are located in Temecula, CA. Phone: 1-800-909-4457.

For local home insurance needs, and U.S. auto insurance for Mexico residents, I highly recommend Yolanda Silva at 638-383-6280. Her office is located on the street running south of Fremont Blvd. just east of Hacienda Las Fuentes.

C

cactusamigo

Ladyjeeper - Only when you file a claim will you find out whether or not they are "good people". That is the only test that counts. Anyone not agree?

Cactusamigo....unfortunately, the "drivers license" policy only covers liability....it will not cover you for any damage to the vehicle you are driving.

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Cactus,
I need collision on my Jeep as it is fairly modified. That's why I don't use the "driver's license" insurance. I have never heard anything bad about Portugals until recently and that was one occurence. I've had a friend or two file claims over the years with no problem. I used them on the first Smuggler's Cove and all of my Jeeps in 20 years. I plan on using them again on the new Smuggler's Cove. They were always professional, courteous, they actually sent me renewal notices to my U.S address and they always answered the phone, even calling me back on their dime and took care of renewals that way. Now they have online insurance. I will be using that later today. I'm kind of old school, I like to see the face of whom I am doing business with.
Ladyjeeper

S

Submarine

cactusamigo said:
Ladyjeeper - Only when you file a claim will you find out whether or not they are "good people". That is the only test that counts. Anyone not agree?
Very true and that goes for most businesses.

Thanks for the tip on Vis Global, that will work out better for me as I only carry liablility in Mexico. Might make a few trips on the bike this year too so that will simplify things.

As far as I know, the rates are the same with all of the companies when it comes to the "drivers license" policy....probably set by the government.

I've bought policies written on several different Mexican companies over the years. The rates were pretty consistent from company to company...it was when you went with the optional stuff or changed the limits/valuation that the rates went up or down.

C

cactusamigo

Ladyjeeper - Just like church, some things are based on faith and individual perception. I would be very suspicious of an insurance agent who writes a personal check to cover a claim. It tells me that he is self insuring, not sending the premiums to the underwriter. Also, mailing 6 month premium notices for a 1 year policy is unscrupulous.

Having comprehensive auto coverage may make sense for residents of Mexico. However, it is usually not practical for non resident visitors. There are local report requirements, and repairs are usually required to be performed in Mexico, making necessary multiple return trips.

If you deal with Yolanda Silva for your insurance requirements, you deal with either her or her sister, face-to-face. I use her for my homeowners' insurance. I use ADA for motor vehicle liability. She will also do your FM-3/FM-2 immigration submittals.

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Cactus,
Are you saying it was Portugals who wrote the personal check? I didn't see that anywhere in your post. And I don't understand what you mean by it being unscrupulous to send 6 month renewals on an annual policy? He didn't send it at 6 months, he sent it when it was due. Everybody has their own opinion but I'm carrying an annual policy with collision. Multiple trips to Mexico? What's the problem with that? :mrgreen:

A

AZ Miguel

cactusamigo said:
If you are a U.S. resident with periodic travel to Mexico, I recommend ADA VIS GLOBAL for auto insurance. They will write a policy on your driver's license for anything that you drive in Mexico for $83 per year, including "legal protection".You can pay them over the phone with a credit card, and they will send you your policy over the Internet as an e-mail attachment. They are located in Temecula, CA. Phone: 1-800-909-4457.
I use the same folks, they mail me a hard copy and e-mail a pdf file of the same. Works out good having the pdf to reprint a copy for each vehicle and as something always happens to the copy in the motorhome glove box, wife and kids use it to to keep score for uno or how many times I drop the F-bomb as I get passed. I have Progresive for the other as it covers in the US and Mexico but not liability in Mexico. Progresive even covers the Raptor quad for a low fee.

S

Submarine

Liberty Mutual is covering me in Mexico too so I'd just drag the truck back and get the work done in the U.S.
Now if you have a American truck that's really made in Mexico (coughcoughdodgecough), then you might as well leave it there!

C

cactusamigo

Ladyjeeper - Please re-read my posts - carefully. You are correct, I didn't mention the business whose practices I find suspect, as a result of my own first hand experience. I was not referring to the renewal policies that you stated you received in the mail in what I stated to be unscrupulous. What I referred to as being unscrupulous was receiving multiple renewal notices mid-year for an annual policy in order to extract additional premium payments from me. Checking the renewal notice, the policy number on the notice did not agree with the policy number that I was holding. When I presented the renewal notice to the secretary in the office to ask what was going on, she promptly tore it up and discarded it. I am not the only one who was subjected to "double billing" attempts by this outfit. I am fortunate that I never had to use the worthless U.S. auto liability "insurance" written by this outfit.

I will not name the agency in a post on this forum. The events are history and I have no written proof to support my statements. I would have no problem discussing all the details face-to-face. Be carefull when it comes to buying unusually discounted "insurance policies".

C

cactusamigo

Ladyjeeper - In regard to multiple trips to Mexico in order to accomplish an insurance claim to repair your damaged vehicle, it may require one trip just to get a police report. Another trip to meet with the insurance adjuster, who may or may not be in town when you need him. Another trip to find and coordinate the repairs with a repair facility, etc., etc. I'm sure you get my point. This may not be very convenient if you lived in Wyoming, Montana, etc. The travel expenses could quickly exceed the repair costs.

dry heat

Pigeon coup coordinator
As an owner of an insurance brokerage here in the states and having sold over 700 mexico insurance policies I can tell you this much...

1. there are 4 major insurance carriers that sell insurance policies in Mexico (GE and AIG being two of them)

2. liability insurance is required in Mexico, your US policy is useless in Mexico

3. Agencies in Mexico should be selling the insurance coverage from one of the four "major" players in Mexican insurance. purchase only from a carrier that you have heard of (national brand).

4. If you purchase collision coverage on your vehicle make sure that it provides US labor rates. Often times after an accident once the adjuster has seen the vehicle you can then repair the vehicle in the US if the vehicle can be driven back.

5. Most policies will not provide for comprehensive coverage (ie. vandalism or theft). If you purchase collision coverage make sure to base the value of your vehicle on the low blue book value.

6. It is often times easier to purchase a policy online rather than at an agency in Mexico (especially if you are worried about corruption on your policy) it has happened where the agency will keep money and not send it in to the carrier, however this has also happens here in the states- the big difference though is the US carrier has to cover your policy even if the agent or agency committed fraud in taking your money and not sending in the payment. You can print youru policy right from home.

7. It is much much cheaper to purchase an annual or semi-annual policy rather than a day to day policy.

8. Online you can often have more control over the coverages since you can see the carrier and the unique coverage each may offer.

9. Most offer some time of basic medical emergency policy with the purchase of an auto policy.

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
That was a joke, Cactus. Well then, how do I get Mexican insurance that will pay for bringing the Jeep home and fixing it here? I can't afford to fix it, that's why I buy insurance.

S

Submarine

2. liability insurance is required in Mexico, your US policy is useless in Mexico
Mexican liability insurance is required but some Arizona agencies are insuring you into Mexico (so to be legal you need double coverage). Liberty Mutual is one, I think Allstate is another. Usually there is a mileage limitation which just happens to cover RP. I'd rather deal with fixing my vehicle when I got home and use my towing and rental car coverage than bother with any hassle in Mexico.