Best place to get Mexican car insurance

Cactusamigo....some of your info is not entirely correct....

I went thru an accident about 2 years ago.....I got hold of the "adjuster" the day of the accident.....although it took me 2 days to get everything straightened out and get his "release". This included seeing the Mexican magistrate to adjudicate who was at fault (the Mexican driver), and to get my vehicle out of the police impound (yeah, it was impounded, even though I had Mexican insurance). After I got home (my vehicle was driveable after some minor fender pulling and some use of duct tape!!!), everything else was handled in the US....the Mexican company used a firm in the US to handle the claim....they sent out an adjuster to evaluate the damage, to the US body shop where the vehicle was. The check was issued by a US firm that got the money from the Mexican company.....so there were no "multiple trips" to Mexico that were required.

Submarine said:
2. liability insurance is required in Mexico, your US policy is useless in Mexico
Mexican liability insurance is required but some Arizona agencies are insuring you into Mexico (so to be legal you need double coverage). Liberty Mutual is one, I think Allstate is another. Usually there is a mileage limitation which just happens to cover RP. I'd rather deal with fixing my vehicle when I got home and use my towing and rental car coverage than bother with any hassle in Mexico.
I resemble that remark about dodge vehicles (made in mexico)!!! :twisted: :lol:

But, I would check your policy very carefully....the ones that I know that cover you into Mexico have a 60 mile limitation. I would check my mileage very carefully....you know darn well that if the insurance company can get out of paying, they will....even if the mileage is 60.1 miles!!!!

dry heat

Pigeon coup coordinator
The very few companies that will provide any coverage into mexico has to do with the collision coverage of your policy not the liability portion. If you are involved in an accident within 25 or 50 miles from the border your policy may cover your collision portion (ie. your vehicle). However the loophole is you have to contact your agent and let them know you are taking the vehicle into mexico ahead of time (I know strange but two of the companies I know of require this). In any case relying on your US policy for the 25 or 50 mile radius if you happen to get into an accident in Sonoyta is the least of your problems if you do not have mexico insurance.

Only a Mexico policy will provide civil liability insurance, which covers you in case you cause injury or damage while you’re there.

B

BeachMom

Here is my experience with Mexican insurnace AND a claim in a nutshell:

We bought the insurance through Ajo Insurance Co. (Seguro Atlas). Full coverage (liability, comp. and collision)

- Leaving RP we were side-swiped on Calle 13 by a local. (No injuries, just PO'd!!)
*** on edit: no licence, no insurance for the local. He wanted to leave, but we woudn't let him. lol
- We called the police first, then the claims adjuster (as instruced on the policy).
- The police came first and the adjuster about 10 minutes later as he lives in RP.
- The police asked questions and took a report.
- The police took the poor guy who hit us off to "who knows where".
- The adjuster gave us his report, plus the police report and advised us to get two estimates in the states and submit them to the insurance comany.
- We did this and received a check 6 weeks later for the average of the two estimates. ($3500.00).

We've used Ajo Insurance ever since! If something happens, we know exactly what to expect and the service was excellent. Food for thought.

S

Submarine

They measure mileage in a radius from the port of entry, not your odometer; so RP is included.
Liberty Mutual told me over the phone that they do not require a call prior to taking to the trip but if I find my policy I'll read it over and see if there is anything different in writing. They said the full policy applies for 62 miles. I specifically asked about this when I was changing companies back in December and I have received no modifications to my policy in writing since that time.
But as I stated before Dry Heat, you need Mex ins also in Mexico.
So just to be clear, again, you need Mexican insurance in Mexico.
Wait, let me restate that, you need Mexican Liability Insurance in Mexico.
Oh one more time? You need Mexican Liability Insurance in Mexico.

But nice to see you conceded that you posted misinformation on #2 of your post; owning a brokerage and all.

dry heat

Pigeon coup coordinator
when there are over 140 us insurance carriers and less than 4 will provide any type of collision coverage for a limited amount of mileage into mexico, then yes most us policies are useless in mexico, unless we are talking about the 1% that may cover you.

so get off the computer and get my package bro. chop, chop.

S

Submarine

You never said "most" and I'm not anyones "bro".

If you want 1500 packages delivered maybe we could arrange something but I don't do single packages anymore. Do you still have your custodian stuff from LVSD? I need my bathrooms cleaned. Even trade?

Kenny

[There are basically two types of Mexican insurance for comprehensive coverage. One where you can bring the car back to the states to fix and one that only lets you fix it in Mexico and of course the one where you can bring it back into the states is more expensive. Something to consider is the deductible, most are $500 American. That means with the cheaper policy you have to have about 5,000 in pesos worth of damage for them to even work on it. On the other hand on a positive note, if it's stolen you will be compensated or if its damaged more than 5,000 in pesos, it can be fixed in Mexico. I found this out last October when I had my little mishap down by Santo Tomas. My agent drove down from Cobra after my call and met us at the police dept in a matter of hours and it all went very professionally with no problems at all. ABA_GMAC is the agency and I buy online. I have others to choose from as well on this site. http://mexican-auto-insurance.com/ See Beachmoms post, she obviously had the more expensive policy where you can get your car fixed in the states.. Yes it can go that smoothly.

The other party and myself doing the paper work with a couple of shady looking Americans lurking in the background.
[attachment=1:36poidpe]Santo Tomas-100.jpg[/attachment:36poidpe]
$25 fine

Kenny

Attachments

jerry

Submarine said:

If you want 1500 packages delivered maybe we could arrange something but I don't do single packages anymore. Do you still have your custodian stuff from LVSD? I need my bathrooms cleaned. Even trade?
Sounds like neither of you elitists values real work.Who cares if Sub will be working for DHL (after McCain sells out the american package delivery companies) and who cares if dryheat was a janitor(must has heisted a lot of toilet paper in his day) you guys always have to get mean rather than just making your point. Both of you have good information sometimes.

B

BeachMom

jerry said:
Submarine said:

Sounds like neither of you elitists values real work.Who cares if Sub will be working for DHL (after McCain sells out the american package delivery companies) and who cares if dryheat was a janitor(must has heisted a lot of toilet paper in his day) you guys always have to get mean rather than just making your point. Both of you have good information sometimes.
Yup... the whole thread went to $hit didn't it?

dry heat

Pigeon coup coordinator
Submarine said:
Do you still have your custodian stuff from LVSD? I need my bathrooms cleaned. Even trade?
What the hell does LVSD stand for?
LVSD Left Ventricular Systolic Dysfunction
LVSD Ligonier Valley School District (Ligonier, Pennsylvania)
LVSD Low Voltage Switchgear Device

Actually talking about getting bathrooms cleaned, one of my maids lives in your city of Tempe, probably has a nicer home than you. So I would not knock custodial work. If you want to go for a round of drinks you should come up to my countryclub at whisper rock in n. scottsdale. I don't know if I can get you a can of beer though, would a bottle work? maybe you can trade it in after using it for some cans?

S

Submarine

LOL Ok so I was too lazy to look up the actual school district.

Wow I owe you a huge apology there Tom.

It's kind of tough these days to get accurate information over the phone.

I realize Liberty Mutual isn't all that huge of a player in the Insurance industry, probably too small for you to bother with since they are only the sixth largest in the nation.

So I'm sure they don't exactly hire very qualified people to open up new policies over the phone.

I spent over an hour with this guy last December and that was just doing my auto policy. Homeowners would require a second call so I've never gotten around to that.

But he was a nice enough fellow, going over my needs and reducing my costs where he could so overall it was an enjoyable experience.

However he wasn't very up-to-date as far as the Mexico coverage, and thats where I need to clarify.

You see, I dug deep in the Sub Files and found my policy. Man those things can be pretty dry reading but I guess it's necessary.

Too often I guess we find out the hard way what our policies cover and don't cover. That's usually the way it goes huh?

So I do appreciate you bringing up this thread even if I wasn't quite accurate the first time around. A little knowledge can go a long way, don't you agree?

According to my policy, specifically the Mexico Extension Endorsement (Arizona):

The coverage applying to your covered auto" under Parts A,B,C, and D and Underinsured Motorists Coverage of this policy also applies to acccidents and losses while the automobile is in the Republic of Mexico, but not more than 75 miles from the United States border. This coverage is subject to the following provisions:

1.Insurance applies only if, at the time of accident or loss, the automobile has not been in the Republic of Mexico more than 10 consecutive days.

2. We have no obligation to defend any suit and the Supplementary Payments provisions of Part A and the Transportation Expense provision of Part D do not apply

3. In addition to the applicable limit of liability, we will pay (a) expenses you incur for first aid to others at the time of an accident for bodily injury covered by this policy and (b) reasonable expenses, except loss of earnings, you incur at our request.

4. No settlement of any claim or suit will obligate us under this endorsement without our written consent.

5. Except for the Medical Payments Coverage, this insurance shall be excess over any other collectible insurance available to you as an insured under a policy applying to the automobile or otherwise. The Medical Payments Coverage shall be excess over any other collectible automobile medical payments insurance.

6. If a loss to "your covered auto" requires repair or replacement while the automobile is in Mexico, the most we will pay is the cost of the repair or replacement at the nearest point in the United States where it can be made.
So basically full coverage except for Part A supplemental which relates to bail bonds and Transportation costs which is $10/day $300max. Then you use Liberty Mutual as secondary insurer (first would be your Mex auto insurance or Trip insurance) so that's another reason to just get Mexican liability unless their coverage is better and cheaper.

10 days and 75 miles, not a bad deal.

S

Submarine

dry heat said:
Actually talking about getting bathrooms cleaned, one of my maids lives in your city of Tempe, probably has a nicer home than you. So I would not knock custodial work. If you want to go for a round of drinks you should come up to my countryclub at whisper rock in n. scottsdale. I don't know if I can get you a can of beer though, would a bottle work? maybe you can trade it in after using it for some cans?
LMAO
Dry Heat is now known as Judge Smails.

Save that beer there Smails. You'll need it to buy some class.

:fish: y :fish: y :fish: y

dry heat

Pigeon coup coordinator
sub who the hell is tom, have you forgotten our long relationship of making fun of people? My school was corona del sol (the nice tempe school, he he). went there right before mt point opened up. it's jimmy not tom.

I actually use a company that is a member of the liberty mutual group (colorado casualty) and I was ready to post the info tomorrow morning that you just dug up so that saved me some work. Liberty mutual just purchased Safeco and the Ohio group so they will definately grow in size quickly.

Stuart said:
Y'all take this shit way too seriously.

Stuart, YOU will also take it seriously....if you have an accident in Mexico....have your vehicle impounded, even though you have insurance, and the accident was not your fault (under age, unlicensed driver hits you)....and you wind up spending a couple of days getting things starightened out.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
The "seriously" part had to do with how you all continue to rag on one another like a bunch of retards, NOT the importance of having insurance! Durrrrrrrrrrr.

You are indeed a moron if you go into Mexico without it.

As for "Who's the Best?" It's like the difference between driving a Ford and Chevy. If you have it, from a reputable provider, and have decent coverages amounts, you'll be covered. As for the inconvenience, is it any less convenient to have an accident here in the US? Not really. Yes, your car may be impounded, your fault or not. That's just the way it is in Mexico. If you choose to drive there, then you choose to take that chance and the extra inconvenience that goes with it. Doesn't make a damn bit of difference what insurance you have - until the adjuster shows up and proves you're covered to the heffe (your fault or not), you're just as screwed as the rest of us would be. There is no Magical Get Out Of Jail Free Card when it comes to having an accident in Mexico.

dry heat

Pigeon coup coordinator
Stuart said:
The "seriously" part had to do with how you all continue to rag on one another like a bunch of retards, NOT the importance of having insurance! Durrrrrrrrrrr.
Hey dumb dumb, neither one of us is taking this sh*t seriously. it's all good fun, that is why you see neither of us hung up and/or exhasperated on some of these topics. If anything it is good entertainment. For example last night as I was having a hard time pushing out a turd I decided to reply to my buddy sub and it helped.

Good thing this isn't the old forum! And please try to get your HTML tags correct. Thank-you. The Management.

[attachment=0:2fbwkogz]delete_button.jpg[/attachment:2fbwkogz]

Attachments