Best time of year for shore fishing?

don

long ago, 'fore we knew better we did us a seine... Bad... So now we p/u frozen chovies on our way down (not only legal, but we always have bait, and caught much more fish than squid). Taking them to the beach, we put them in a small cooler with some ice thrown in to keep them cold which helps them stay on the hook. Down side with 'chovies is the smell BUT we use a "Wonder bar" and that bar has always removed the smell from our hands...

mrb1421

I was in RP this past weekend & fished the Las Conchas side of the el Marua estuary. I caught several little pompano, flounder & corvina. The best all around lure is hands down a kastmasters' or something like. Like another member the saltwater rapala's or great choice & thats what usually produces my larger fish from the shore.

do you guys kayak into the estuary or just drive over there and fish the shore? does anyone give you a hard time for fishing in the estuaries? im in las conchas and have always wanted to fish that estuary...

do you guys kayak into the estuary or just drive over there and fish the shore? does anyone give you a hard time for fishing in the estuaries? im in las conchas and have always wanted to fish that estuary...
I kayaked La Pinta. No one was even there except the pangas which were launching to go out to sea.
People do guided kayak tours of the estuaries and I've seen adverts to fish the estuary from a kayak. You just aren't supposed to take a real boat in there as far as I can tell.

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
You fish right at the mouth of the estuary, not deeper back in the protected part...

There is a big rock outcrop in the mouth of the estuary that gets exposed during really low tides... From the Lac Conchas side you can usually wade out to that outcrop and catch all kinds of fish, just be careful to watch the water rising behind you- by the time the water is hitting your feet you'll have a long, hard swim back to the beach.

Kayaks, float tubes, wading.... they all work. I have had good success using the trout fisherman's technique of using my float tube and fins to slow troll a sinking tip flyline with a clouser minnow pattern. Great fun.

T

TerryV

I pulled up a Google Earth pic and made note of dark spot in the water that looks like rocks (??).

Anyway, I hope to be there at several low tides the week of the 6th of June. If you are there please give me a yell...

La Pinta mouth..jpg

Attachments

I drive over to the far side and onto the beach, then fish from shore at La Pinta. I have camped for the last 10 years down there, last time a few months ago. Never had any trouble from either the fish camp people, or the peole who live in the houses further round the point. A while ago we used to slip the people who lived in the house on the Caborca road $10 on the way in, but these days nobody lives there.

As far as I'm aware there are no restrictions at all on the use of the waterways and beaches within La Pinta estuary. Am I missing something?

I know of people who take boats down to that beach at La Pinta and launch from there and camp on shore. Never seemed to be a problem.

can anyone show a map of la marua estuary from google maps and circle mouth portion you would fish??? pleeeeaaaseeeee

I pulled up a Google Earth pic and made note of dark spot in the water that looks like rocks (??).

Anyway, I hope to be there at several low tides the week of the 6th of June. If you are there please give me a yell...
I always have better at or near high tide so don't just fish low tide.

Here's your picture with the area I fished circled. You can see the road coming in and the collection of buildings. It didn't stink when I launched from there, but maybe I was just lucky.

Attachments

whats the best way to get to the playa encanto side of de marua coming from las conchas? just take that road to caborca all the way there and then hang a right at the encanto road? im familiar on how to get to the oyster shacks in the marua but outside of that ive never gone any further on that caborca road...

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
whats the best way to get to the playa encanto side of de marua coming from las conchas? just take that road to caborca all the way there and then hang a right at the encanto road? im familiar on how to get to the oyster shacks in the marua but outside of that ive never gone any further on that caborca road...
Go about another 1.5 miles down the Caborca road past the oyster farm road and take a right on the Playa Encanto road- take this road toward the water until it splits and stay to the right. Do not go up the hill to the condos, stay on the lower road and follow it back to the west it as it parallels behind the beach houses and condos. You will eventually come to an old archway that reads "Marua yacht club- members only"- just drive on in and park at the end of the road where it's chained off. From there you are 100 yards from the water at high tide. Happy fishing.

thanks for the info..ill be down june 4-7 and back the following weekend from the 11-16th... should get plenty of fishing in by then!!!!

This thread has had loads of good (if not sometime contradictory) information. If there weren't different opinions, for example the best time of year and time of day, I wouldn't trust it! I've been interested in all the discussion about fish identification. Everything from what the locals call them to genus and species! Well done!

I should be down in a house at Las Conchas come April and I'll definitely be fishing the tides and the Conchas side of the Morua Estuary. I'll be using light to medium spinning gear fishing with bait, some silver lures like Kastmasters and some crank baits including salt water Rapalas. I like the idea of trying a a bobber to keep out of the rocks.

If any old timers can add any key tips beyond this I'd love to hear them! Can't find any inflatable bears at Bass Pro Shop or Cabellas. Still looking.

jerry

12 buck a lb shrimp catches way more 5 buck a lb. fish than any Kastmaster.....as a 10 year old said to me..."hey that's the price of fun"

Fish Morua Estuary.jpg
I read through all the I.D. comments (genus, species, etc) earlier on this thread. I've even been to MexFish.com. Still wondering what folks think about this beauty caught on the out tide, off the rocks on the Las Conchas side of Morua Estuary (squid, Carolina rig.) Put up a pretty good fight for the size. I caught 4-5 and had a blast. Catch and release, hope they'll be bigger next time.