Better Sunset Experience: La Cava Music Bar or La Casa del Capitan?

We skipped La Cava the last couple of times it looked open, so just wondering if any locals have tried it out. Obviously, we don't go to El Capitan for the food, although the guacamole is pretty good, and the Margaritas, albeit pricey, get the job done. Just wondering if it's about the same experience at La Cava (outside of the live music on particular nights) as El Capitan, where you're basically paying for the view.

Thanks!

AZ ROB

Sunset from the Point Restruant is very nice as well as the food is good. I agree about el Capitan you don't go for the food.

Obviously The Point has a great view from the ocean, but I'm taking a newbie this time around and would like her to see the whole city from up top.

Roberto

La Cava is in the same building as the Lighthouse. It is above and used to be part of the Lighthouse. For a while it was operated as the Crow's Nest by Pino Noriega of the same family that built and owns the Lighthouse. It used to be the most romantic restaurant in town, hands down. Views are spectacular. I have not been up there since Pino closed. From the photos it looks like a guy that was playing at the Sunset Grille is there. Good musician.

Obviously The Point has a great view from the ocean, but I'm taking a newbie this time around and would like her to see the whole city from up top.
James... why don't ya take the newb for an ultralight ride... can't get anymore "from up top" of the whole city than that...

La Cava is in the same building as the Lighthouse. It is above and used to be part of the Lighthouse. For a while it was operated as the Crow's Nest by Pino Noriega of the same family that built and owns the Lighthouse. It used to be the most romantic restaurant in town, hands down. Views are spectacular. I have not been up there since Pino closed. From the photos it looks like a guy that was playing at the Sunset Grille is there. Good musician.
No wonder! It's so odd that the Facebook page makes absolutely no mention of The Lighthouse, nor does it in any of their flyers. I ate at the Lighthouse once, it was OK, but in the middle of the week during January. I'm sure the food wasn't as fresh as usual, but it was all Italian on the menu, from what I can remember. Cool for the locals but not what I'm in the mood for when visiting.

MIRAMAR

You can't beat the view at El Capitan, and the super nachos are great- haven't tried a full dinner, but for drinks and appetizer, I love it.

I think the food at the Lighthouse is "better" than at El Capitan. The coconut shrimp is actually excellent. But what is fun is to order Mexican Coffee. They make it at your table and it's quite the show with flaming tequila. Worth a visit just for that.

rplarry

You can't beat the view at El Capitan, and the super nachos are great- haven't tried a full dinner, but for drinks and appetizer, I love it.
I agree. We were up there for lunch and/or late afternoon 'snack' & margarita's 2x this past weekend. The weather was so nice we sat outside each time without jackets or long sleeves.

We also used to not be big fans of dinner at El Capitan as we often went up for sunset, guac and margaritas and then after sunset, booked it down the hill to La Curva, Lapa Lapa or Lily's when they were open. But, the last couple times that we did stay for dinner, it was pretty darn good.

If you go for the view and drinks and maybe a light meal only, their carne asada (very high quality steak from their own cattle ranch) quesadilla is excellent. We get extra carne in it and ask for the hot salsa which is very good (they only serve their pico de gallo unless you ask for the spicy salsa also). Our kids all got chicken tenders and fries and they have some of the best we have had anywhere. All fresh chicken breast and very crispy fries. Best ranch dressing as well. Additionally, Capitan has excellent ceviche tostadas too.

Worth another try for sure.