Beware the slide pool at the Sonoran Sky!You may end up in a 3rd world clinic!!

clozzzer

If you go to the Sonoran Sky please keep your children and adults away from the slide pool. On the 5th of July my best friend went down the slide and was cracked his he's open upon landing in the pool. The pool is only 4 foot deep. The slide is over 25 feet In the air and it is a two foot drop when exiting the slide and hitting the water. The slide exits the pool at an angle that point towards the wall of the pool as well. There are no lifeguards on duty and I don't believe they employ any either. They say that they are "patrolled" by lifeguards but life guards should not wear leather shoes and a safari looking outfit to save lives in water. I believe there real duty is to watch for aggressive beech peddlers and look for wristbands of guests.

After going to the clinic and having my friend leave with a concussion and 16 stitches, we returned to the condos to ask if they would at least show good will and cover the medical bills. They said they don't have insurance and do not take liability. Soooooo, remember, this is not America. They are rule less and law less in Mexico.

We rented the condo and are not owners.

Here is a video of the lovely clinic and injury.

Puerto Penasco Hotel Condo Injury - YouTube

Jim

Well Known Member
Hi clozzzer, This is Jim, the guy that you asked about a cash settlement. I'm sorry, but intoxicated adults going down a kids slide head first don't warrant a payoff. Great dramatization and I'm glad that it was not worse but Mexico is not the place to look for ambulance chaser lawyers and fat settlements for errors in judgement. BTW, I had an emergency appendectomy at San Jose Clinic one year ago and they did a great job. Not a new facility but very clean and professional.

clozzzer

Hi clozzzer, This is Jim, the guy that you asked about a cash settlement. I'm sorry, but intoxicated adults going down a kids slide head first don't warrant a payoff. Great dramatization and I'm glad that it was not worse but Mexico is not the place to look for ambulance chaser lawyers and fat settlements for errors in judgement. BTW, I had an emergency appendectomy at San Jose Clinic one year ago and they did a great job. Not a new facility but very clean and professional.

Jim,

We did not want any "cash settlement", all we asked is for the medical bills to be paid. I recorded your underlings admiitting that this has happened before. Yes, head splitting, ambulance riding fun has happened before on this slide! The slide is not a "kids slide". It does not say it is for only children on any sign, in any pamphlat, or enforced by your "lifeguards" as a children's slide. Also, there are an equal amount of children and adults using the slide. I recorded both adults and children using the slide and can show you the video if you like. My dear friend had not been drinking either, and saying that is very insulting. In fact, the local police showed up to "examine" my friend and found him to becompletely sober. Your staff said if he would have been drinking, the police would ask for a fine. Your staff and the ambulance team said if the police ask for a fine/bribe, refuse to pay it because it was some sort of bribe. By the way, the police showed up with an automatic rifle worn around his neck; kinda strange for a medical call. The clinic you called for him did do a good job stitching him up, but hygiene was not up to par as far as I am concerned. Many people were riding double, backwards, forwards, in three's, with tubs and other various things. I also witnessed several instances were adults and children were on the bottom of the slide, in the pool, and we're struck by someone coming down the slide. This slide is conpletly unsafe. The pool is too shallow for a slide that large. You have no one watching the slide either. You will say you have folks watching the slide. The fact is the person watching the slide is also watching 4 swimming pools, 3 jacuzzis, the workout room, the water slide and the entire beach front of your condos. This same person is not wearing swimming gear, and is in clothes not typical of any lifeguard I have ever seen; leather shoes, large sun hat, and some sort of safari outfit.

Your right, Mexico is a different sort of place; the sort of place where you can have a large 15 story building with a large guest count and absolutely no safety plans in place to protect your guest. It is also a place where when you ask a manager for the decency to pay a medical bill that was trully the negligence of the property, you will be laughed at and told no.

Shame on you Jim. Shame on you for not having the discipline to know whats right from wrong and "step up", be a leader, and put systems in Place to protect your guest. Just because In Mexico there is no laws in place to help injured victims of corporations who opperate in a reckless manner collect damages for medical bills and such, doesn't mean that you just leave it up to chance and put everyone at risk who enters your property because you can't be sued. Great attitude. This attitude shines thru very well!

Just think, if the expected service of having a qualified person watch over our loved ones is not there, think about what else is not being taken care of. My imagination runs wild with what else is not being taken care of. I have thought about doing a documentary on Sonoran properties safety and maintaance. It might be a very big eye opener.

Shame on you Jim for letting us all down.

rockyptjoe

Well Known Member
If you go to the Sonoran Sky please keep your children and adults away from the slide pool. On the 5th of July my best friend went down the slide and was cracked his he's open upon landing in the pool. The pool is only 4 foot deep. The slide is over 25 feet In the air and it is a two foot drop when exiting the slide and hitting the water. The slide exits the pool at an angle that point towards the wall of the pool as well. There are no lifeguards on duty and I don't believe they employ any either. They say that they are "patrolled" by lifeguards but life guards should not wear leather shoes and a safari looking outfit to save lives in water. I believe there real duty is to watch for aggressive beech peddlers and look for wristbands of guests.

After going to the clinic and having my friend leave with a concussion and 16 stitches, we returned to the condos to ask if they would at least show good will and cover the medical bills. They said they don't have insurance and do not take liability. Soooooo, remember, this is not America. They are rule less and law less in Mexico.

We rented the condo and are not owners.

Here is a video of the lovely clinic and injury.

Puerto Penasco Hotel Condo Injury - YouTube
I do hope your friend is recovering...

A "little" over dramatization on the video????? But where's the "rest of the story"? No clip of the pool or slide??? Third world clinic???...the video showed what looked like a clean facility.....did your friend get an infection? Did they take care of him?

This is a perfect example of what I see that we, as a society, have become....nobody wants to take responsibility for their own actions.....it's somebody else's responsibility to watch out for my safety (or my kids)! Do any of the resorts actually have "lifeguards"? I didn't think they did...... If something doesn't look safe to use....why use it????

BTW...Jim is Director of Sales for the resort (condos)....not the HOA head or rental agent. I've never seen the Sonoran Resorts advertised as "hotel" condos....

Encanto

The Clinic San Jose is a very good choice if you need medical attention while in Penasco.

Unfortunately, over the past 30 years we have been to all of the clinics and the Hospitial numerous times.

The young Doctor in the Video, operated on my finger about six weeks ago. Had a inch long sliver of wood about 3/8" x 3/8 go under my pinkie nail, up to the knuckle. Couldn't dig it out for anything.

He was great.

Earlier this year, one of my daughter's friends got a piece of shell lodged in her eye, way in the back, kind of stuck in the eyeball. Again, we couldn't get it out for anything. A very nice young female Doctor was able to remove it. She was extremely professional and was able to put her at ease immediately, very personable.

I can't remember the name of the place, but it is kind of across the Street from Portugal's office, on the Ace Hardware Street; about five years ago, I had an ATV wreck, they were able to put me back together enough to get home the next day. Looks kind of old from the outside, but the Doctor's were great. If I remember the Surgeon's name I will post it later. Kind of a taller, thin fellow. Great guy, excellent surgeon.

Sorry for the long post, but, in my opinion, the level of care in Penasco for Emergency Medicine, is pretty darn good.

Tedram

Tedram
I hope your friend heals well and gets better----- But I must say I agree with RP Joe-------- Take some responsibility for your own actions!!! Look at the slide, assess the risk- decide for yourself if should use it...... We need less regualtion and rules-- not more.
The Governor of California is jogging with his dog along a nature

trail. A coyote jumps out and attacks the Governor's dog, then bites the *

Governor. *

1. The Governor starts to intervene, but reflects upon the movie *

*"Bambi" and then realizes he should stop because the coyote is only *

doing what is natural. *

2. He calls animal control . Animal Control captures the coyote *

*and bills the State $200, testing it for diseases and $500 for relocating *

it. *

3. He calls a veterinarian. The vet collects the dead dog and bills the State $200 testing it for diseases. *

4. The Governor goes to hospital and spends $3,500 getting checked for diseases from the coyote and on getting his bite wound bandaged. *

5. The running trail gets shut down for 6 months while Fish & Game conducts a $100,000 survey to make sure the area is now free of dangerous animals. *

6. The Governor spends $50,000 in state funds implementing a *

"coyote awareness program" for residents of the area. *

7. The State Legislature spends $2 million to study how to better *

treat rabies and how to permanently eradicate the disease throughout the world. *

8. The Governor's security agent is fired for not stopping the *

attack. The State spends $150,000 to hire and train a new agent with *

additional special training re: the nature of coyotes. *

9. PETA protests the coyote's relocation and files a $5 million suit *

against the State. *

Arizona:

The Governor of Arizona is jogging with her dog along a nature *

trail. A Coyote jumps out and attacks her dog. *

1. The Governor shoots the coyote with her State-issued pistol and keeps jogging. The Governor has spent $0.50 on a .45 ACP hollow point cartridge.

2. The Buzzards eat the dead coyote. *

And that, my friends, is why California is broke and Arizona is not. *

MIRAMAR

Well Known Member
About 10 years ago while at Balboa's restaurant, my father ended up in Clinica Santa Fe after a whale bone (yes, whale bone rib), fell and hit him in the head (they were hanging for decoration on the outdoors deck). He spent the night in the hospital with a nurse and doctor by his side. He then went to Mayo Clinic for follow up and they said the Mexican doctor did everything correctly. Like someone says, it's not the prettiest hospital, but the care of the nurses and doctor were great- the bill was $110.

rockyptjoe

Well Known Member
I don't see what the long discourse provided by Tedram has to do with this thread....sorry Tedram, I think I saw the "proverb" previously with the Texas Governor being the coyote shooter.....

Kenny, I believe there was no deficit in FY 2012 (current year), and the budget for FY2013 was projected with a surplus (still in some disarray due to funding maneuvering, including possible illegal shifting of the mortgage settlement $$$)....

Kenny

Well Known Member
I don't see what the long discourse provided by Tedram has to do with this thread....sorry Tedram, I think I saw the "proverb" previously with the Texas Governor being the coyote shooter.....

Kenny, I believe there was no deficit in FY 2012 (current year), and the budget for FY2013 was projected with a surplus (still in some disarray due to funding maneuvering, including possible illegal shifting of the mortgage settlement $$$)....
I know their "cooking" the books, and cutting huge amounts from critical services and education, but were no where near being flush in the State of AZ, and we haven't been for many years.

clozzzer

I do hope your friend is recovering...

A "little" over dramatization on the video????? But where's the "rest of the story"? No clip of the pool or slide??? Third world clinic???...the video showed what looked like a clean facility.....did your friend get an infection? Did they take care of him?

This is a perfect example of what I see that we, as a society, have become....nobody wants to take responsibility for their own actions.....it's somebody else's responsibility to watch out for my safety (or my kids)! Do any of the resorts actually have "lifeguards"? I didn't think they did...... If something doesn't look safe to use....why use it????

BTW...Jim is Director of Sales for the resort (condos)....not the HOA head or rental agent. I've never seen the Sonoran Resorts advertised as "hotel" condos....
Good evening,

It seems like everyone is missing my intention of this post entirely. I think that you have proceived that I have said something derogatory about the clinic. I feel that the clinic is fine and the doctor well skilled. My comment on the heading on the post was saying not to go down the slide or you could end up in a 3rd world clinic. The fact is, Mexico is a 3rd world country and we ended up at a clinic in a 3rd world country. Understand? You say that people should accept resposibility for their actions and look at the risk and decide if it out weighs the reward. Well, when my friend came to the slide he decided to go down it, so I guess he assumed the risk right? What you, my friend and I didn't realize is that a landing pool on a slide that is only 4 foot deep is not enough water to safely stop someone from getting hurt. In fact, a short. "google" found that a 20 foot slide with a 2 foot drop from the bottom of the slide to the pool should have a landing pool with a minimum depth of 6 foot. Remember, the landing pool at the Sonoran sky is only 4 foot. Should anyone of us really be required to carry engineering specifications on slide velocity around to local pools and water parks? The answer is obviously no. You go to a nice condo/ resort and you EXPECT this has been done for you. Yes, my friend went done the slide head first. Many others were doing the same thing. Others did not seem to be in pain or receive injury; so to all the kids and adults, this seemed like the thing to do. It seemed like an ordinary practice at this slide pool. Guards/lifeguards looked on and did not seem to worry or show signs of concern either.

As far as being accused of " over dramatizing" the video, I assure you that this video was mild compared to the real emotion, crys and screams from his 3 young children and grave concern in the air from is traumatized wife. My kids were crying, and others were deeply disturbed by the vision of my friends blood oozing from his head. It was like Greg Louganis slammed his head into the diving board during the 1988 Seoul Olympics ( minus the homosexual and HIV part) as the blood was thick in the water. Comparatively, it was like a small shark attack. If anyone has witnessed a large head injury, you understand what I mean. The head really sprays a lot of blood, fast! You say I dramatized the event and I assure you that I censored you from the horror and agony of it all.

So my friend ended up going to the ER in AZ as his head was severely swollen in the face region. He didn't even look like him self. He was all puffed up like a marshmallow. We are waiting for his ultimate recovery and end to the pain.

With what I have explained and shown you of the dangers of the little slide of horror, it is now on you if you will want to allow your loved ones on the contraption of danger. Remember, we did not fully understand the "risks" of the slide and did not know anything of what I have shown you. Now it is on you to decide and to weigh out your "risk".

clozzzer

And by the way, the video clips shown in the video were all taken from the incident, and no video was taken from any sort of "clip art" or archived video.

Estero

Well Known Member
I totally understand and am certain other people do as well, and really hope your friend recovers. Head wounds like that bleed very bad and he is lucky there was no damage to the spinal cord. He'll have a scar which will make for a good story if and when he loses his hair. Short story...I, not long ago had carnitas at a place in Chandler, AZ while on vacation in AZ and ended up getting really, really sick, I was crying and screaming among other things and my significant other was beyond traumatized! It was like that scene from the movie "Like water for chocolate" where everyone was puking but minus the group of people. I will spare you the ugly and gory agony of it all, trust me it was not pretty. I had assumed the risk of ordering and eating the delicious carnitas but was very perturbed that I got sick. So I went back to the restaurant and told them they needed to reimburse me for the $50.00 I had spent on dinner and they somewhat politely told me to go pound sand. I even blindly threatened to barf all over their front step if they did not take responsibility and reimburse me but alas that was a lie as the 3 previous days had taken all I could give. So I decided to google the FDA and consult with them, they informed me that pork needs to be cooked to an internal temperature of 145° F (63° C), with a 3 minute rest time. Link here Safe Eats - Meat, Poultry & Seafood I asked the FDA lady and even called the restaurant that made me sick and asked them why should I have to have a culinary degree to ascertain whether what I was eating at a restaurant was safe to eat. Surely, I should not have to have higher education to simply eat at a restaurant. Everyone, including our waitress and busboy and everyone else there was eating and having a great time, so why was I the one to get the aztec two step?

So please be aware of the dangers of eating carnitas, and warn your friends as well, as I did not fully understand the risks of what can happen when pork is not cooked to 145 degrees and then have a 3 minute rest time, unless you have a culinary degree in which case, you're good to go.

So in closing please be very careful and think twice before eating carnitas and as an adult going down a children's slide into a children's pool. Stay safe my friends.

rockyptjoe

Well Known Member

Good evening,

It seems like everyone is missing my intention of this post entirely. I think that you have proceived that I have said something derogatory about the clinic. I feel that the clinic is fine and the doctor well skilled. My comment on the heading on the post was saying not to go down the slide or you could end up in a 3rd world clinic. The fact is, Mexico is a 3rd world country and we ended up at a clinic in a 3rd world country. Understand? You say that people should accept resposibility for their actions and look at the risk and decide if it out weighs the reward. Well, when my friend came to the slide he decided to go down it, so I guess he assumed the risk right? What you, my friend and I didn't realize is that a landing pool on a slide that is only 4 foot deep is not enough water to safely stop someone from getting hurt. In fact, a short. "google" found that a 20 foot slide with a 2 foot drop from the bottom of the slide to the pool should have a landing pool with a minimum depth of 6 foot. Remember, the landing pool at the Sonoran sky is only 4 foot. Should anyone of us really be required to carry engineering specifications on slide velocity around to local pools and water parks? The answer is obviously no. You go to a nice condo/ resort and you EXPECT this has been done for you. Yes, my friend went done the slide head first. Many others were doing the same thing. Others did not seem to be in pain or receive injury; so to all the kids and adults, this seemed like the thing to do. It seemed like an ordinary practice at this slide pool. Guards/lifeguards looked on and did not seem to worry or show signs of concern either.

As far as being accused of " over dramatizing" the video, I assure you that this video was mild compared to the real emotion, crys and screams from his 3 young children and grave concern in the air from is traumatized wife. My kids were crying, and others were deeply disturbed by the vision of my friends blood oozing from his head. It was like Greg Louganis slammed his head into the diving board during the 1988 Seoul Olympics ( minus the homosexual and HIV part) as the blood was thick in the water. Comparatively, it was like a small shark attack. If anyone has witnessed a large head injury, you understand what I mean. The head really sprays a lot of blood, fast! You say I dramatized the event and I assure you that I censored you from the horror and agony of it all.

So my friend ended up going to the ER in AZ as his head was severely swollen in the face region. He didn't even look like him self. He was all puffed up like a marshmallow. We are waiting for his ultimate recovery and end to the pain.

With what I have explained and shown you of the dangers of the little slide of horror, it is now on you if you will want to allow your loved ones on the contraption of danger. Remember, we did not fully understand the "risks" of the slide and did not know anything of what I have shown you. Now it is on you to decide and to weigh out your "risk".

OMG...overdramatization????? If the video didn't meet that description, this post sure did!!! Are you a novelist (fiction???)...or a screenwriter??

I don't doubt that if his head was bleeding that there was concern from his family.....

BTW, maybe you could provide some of those Google references....I did a "short" search myself....and alll I found indicate a minimum pool depth of 3.5 to 4 ft. I'm not doubting that the sources exist...but I sure couldn't find them in a "short" google search! One of the problems with a 6 ft. depth is that most people would not be able to stand once they surfaced.... particularly kids....I dont ever recall that type of situation when I've used a water slide...even at the water parks! I was able to immediately stand with my head above water after surfacing. It would appear that your friend didn't have a problem with the depth....maybe he had a problem with his "carry" coming off the slide, crashing into a wall?????

How about some of the other points that others have made on here??? Did you and he read the rental contract....and any liability disclaimers? Were there actually "lifeguards"...or just security staff? What was posted outside the pool, or did anybody take the time to read the signs? Any accident that occurs is tragic....I'm not making light of that. But blaming the Resort, or Jim for not reimbursing the medical expenses? And the comment about the police showing up with an automatic weapon, and your fear that a bribe would be required???? This "contraption of danger/slide of horror".....I'd be interested in finding out how many accidents have occurred at the Sonoran Sky as a result of this particular slide......

Total overdramatization!!

Last edited:

clozzzer

OMG...overdramatization????? If the video didn't meet that description, this post sure did!!! Are you a novelist (fiction???)...or a screenwriter??

I don't doubt that if his head was bleeding that there was concern from his family.....

BTW, maybe you could provide some of those Google references....I did a "short" search myself....and alll I found indicate a minimum pool depth of 3.5 to 4 ft. I'm not doubting that the sources exist...but I sure couldn't find them in a "short" google search! One of the problems with a 6 ft. depth is that most people would not be able to stand once they surfaced.... particularly kids....I dont ever recall that type of situation when I've used a water slide...even at the water parks! I was able to immediately stand with my head above water after surfacing. It would appear that your friend didn't have a problem with the depth....maybe he had a problem with his "carry" coming off the slide, crashing into a wall?????

How about some of the other points that others have made on here??? Did you and he read the rental contract....and any liability disclaimers? Were there actually "lifeguards"...or just security staff? What was posted outside the pool, or did anybody take the time to read the signs? Any accident that occurs is tragic....I'm not making light of that. But blaming the Resort, or Jim for not reimbursing the medical expenses? And the comment about the police showing up with an automatic weapon, and your fear that a bribe would be required???? This "contraption of danger/slide of horror".....I'd be interested in finding out how many accidents have occurred at the Sonoran Sky as a result of this particular slide......

Total overdramatization!!
I appreciate your concern regarding the request for thelink to the pool slide guide. Below is title 77, and it just so happens to address our debacle. The link for this guide is :
Section 820

You are correct in saying that a slide needs only 4 feet of water in the plunge pool. The sky however allowed a 24-30" drop of the end of the pool. This means 6 foot of plunge. It can slop up after the plunge.

I have highlighted the passages of value.
TITLE 77: PUBLIC HEALTH
CHAPTER I: DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC HEALTH
SUBCHAPTER n: RECREATIONAL FACILITIES
PART 820 SWIMMING FACILITY CODE
SECTION 820.250 SLIDES​

[HR][/HR]
Section 820.250 Slides

a) General Requirements

1) Structure. All slides shall be designed and constructed in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions to carry the anticipated load. Plans for water slides shall be signed and sealed by a structural engineer licensed to practice in Illinois.

2) Steps. Slide steps shall be slip-resistant and have a minimum tread of 2 inches and a minimum length of 12 inches. The riser height of the steps shall not exceed 12 inches. Specific requirements that apply to water slides are included in subsection (b)(1) of this Section.

3) Plunge Pools. Plunge pools shall comply with Sections 820.200 and 820.210 except that, for a plunge pool for a water slide, a deck is not required where the slide exits into the pool.

b) Water Slides

1) Design and Construction. All curves, turns, and tunnels on the path of a flume shall be designed and constructed in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions.

2) Walkways. Walkways or stairs leading to the top of water slides shall be slip-resistant, rigid, and have a 4 feet minimum clear width.

3) Slide Position.

A) A flume shall be perpendicular to the pool wall for a distance of at least 10 feet from the exit end of the slide. The last 10 feet of the flume shall have a slope that is not steeper than one foot in 10.

B) A flume shall terminate between a depth of 6 inches below to 2 inches above the pool water surface level.

C) The plunge area water depth shall be between 2½ and 4 feet at the end of the flume and for at least 10 feet beyond. The pool floor slope in the plunge area shall not exceed one foot vertical in 12 feet horizontal.

4) Surge Reservoir. A surge storage reservoir shall be provided except where the pool water elevation will not be lowered more than one inch when the water slide pumps are in operation. The surge reservoir shall not be accessible to the public.

5) Plunge Area. There shall be a slide plunge area extending at least 5 feet on either side of the centerline of the slide terminus and 25 feet in front of the slide. This area shall not infringe on the plunge area for any other slides or diving equipment. Steps shall not infringe on this area. A water slide plunge area in a swimming pool shall be roped off from the rest of the pool when the slide is in operation. A means of egress shall be provided near the side of the plunge area opposite the flume terminus.

6) Grates. The intake openings for water pumped from a beach must be covered by grating that cannot be removed without the use of tools. The grate openings shall be at least four times the area of the intake pipe or have an open area so that the maximum velocity of the water passing through the grate does not exceed 1½ feet per second. The maximum width of the grate openings shall be ½ inch. Pump suction intakes at a beach shall be located or protected so as to be inaccessible to bathers.

c) Drop Slides

1) Slide Position. A slide landing area shall extend at least 5 feet on either side of the centerline of the slide terminus and 20 feet in front of the slide. This area shall not infringe on the landing area for any other slides or diving equipment. Steps shall not infringe on this area.

2) Water Depth. The water depth directly below the slide discharge point and for a distance of 12 feet beyond shall comply with the following requirements:

Slide Platform Height Above Water Level in Feet
Minimum Water Depth in Feet

3.5 to 5
5 to 10
10 to 12

3) Platform Height. The drop slide platform shall not exceed 12 feet in height, measured above the water level in the plunge area.

d) Other Slides

1) A slide plunge area shall extend at least 3½ feet on either side of the centerline of the slide terminus and 20 feet in front of the slide. This area shall not infringe on the landing area for any other slides, water slides, drop slides, or diving equipment.

2) Unless the slide is designed by the manufacturer for safe exits at lesser water depths, the water depth and slide exit height above the water shall be in accordance with the following table. The exit height shall not exceed 48 inches above the water surface.

Exit Height Above
Waterline, Inches
Minimum Water
Depth in Feet

0 to 6
6 to 12
12 to 8
18 to 24
24 to 30
30 to 42
42 to 48

3) Slides shall be positioned so that any water flowing off the end of the slide terminus drops into the pool.

4) Handrails. Slides shall be equipped with handrails to aid the slider in safely making the transition from the ladder to the runway. Handrails shall begin at a point no more than 4 feet above the pool deck.

(Source: Amended at 34 Ill. Reg. 2698, effective February 3, 2010)

rockyptjoe

Well Known Member
Thank you for the link...I looked at several links I found, and they all talked 3.5 to 4 ft......

I also note in your link the following statement "2) Unless the slide is designed by the manufacturer for safe exits at lesser water depths".................

But.... you have a problem with your whole thread...first, you mentioned in your original post that the slide was 25 ft. high, then elsewhere it's 20 ft.....based on the number of steps up and the height of the kids using it, it appears to be in the range of 12-15 ft. high, and closer to the 12 ft......and then if you look at the video YOU found...it clearly states it's a KID's slide!!!

I'll agree that the exit is much too close to the side wall of the pool, and not an ideal angle....but the kids (note...kids) using it appear to have no problem with crashing into the wall head first....oh, that's right...the large kid coming down also didn't go head first, did he? So, you have an adult, and from your video, he was not a smaller male, used a slide meant for kids, and went down head first.....

I haven't been to the SKY, but isn't there an open slide at the Sonoran Spa and doesn't it have some kind of sign indicating it's for kids only?

I feel for your friend and his family....it sucks having an accident when you're on vacation with your family....but let's go back to "responsibility".....just maybe he had no business being on the slide (even if other adults were seen using it)....he went down head first.....and maybe he should have watched what happened when someone larger went down the slide (how far they carried towards the wall) before using the slide, especially head first????? Maybe????

Parrothead

Whether he should have used the slide or not, whether it is constructed according to appropriate engineering specs or not, whether it is something meant for children or not, whether the clinic gave good care or not, whether it's a third world clinic or not, one thing that would have avoided this ongoing debate would have been outstanding customer service that would have reimbursed the guest for the fee charged at the clinic whether required to or not. Negative advertising by word of mouth from their experience that THEY feel was unacceptable will undoubtably cost more than the bill from the clinic. Being right isn't always profitable. And yes I agree the guest should have more sense than to come down the slide head first, but this for a small amount could have ended on a positive note.

JGattheSea

PIF Puerto Peñasco
interesting read... reminded me of my own brush with pool slides at my own home in the 90's. Great day BBQ'ing with friends and making new friends. Enjoying the pool and the slide as we had for over 5 years all year around... until a guest of a coworker reported she hit her nose on the pool bottom after using the slide. She did have a small red mark but she had no complaints and stayed until late that evening enjoying the BBQ and day. Well about 3 months later I get a call asking for my insurance information.... well I guess she had gotten a nose job and assumed my insurance would be paying for it. Well didn't happen as she planned, she attempted to sue me, builder, slide manufacturer, et al for medical bills, pain and suffering (she went out dancing with her roommate that same night?), lost wages (she was and unemployed college student?), she hired several experts to come evaluate my pool slide and etc (cost about $2000 for the 3 "experts" to evaluate and decided my slide was 2" too high above the water line... blah blah blah) ended up requesting about $50,000 in her suit. Well the 2K nose job just got a larger price tag! Well my insurance would have covered up to 5K in my policy just for having an accident on my property but since she went the extra mile to attempt to get more than just a free nose job they said new we will just go to court. And karma is a bitch because I won the case and she was left with paying for her own cosmetic nose job, pool "experts" evaluation fee, and court costs..... her simple nose job ended up costing her probably 3x as much and a lot of wasted time. I since have never had another slide at any of my pools after that "fun" experience! ...